Xbox One rumors point to a higher clock speed & RAM

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:32

It has 3 OS - http://www.engadget....rating-systems/

In fact MS have apparently confirmed it needs 3 GB - http://gimmegimmegam...-ram-for-games/

It doesn't NEED 3GB.  MS is using that as a worst case scenario so that devs don't assume that the entire 8GB is available to them.  A bump to 12GB would completely alleviate that situation.

I've read other rumours that MS would just use the motherboards out of the dev machines which already have 12GB.

#17 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:47

It has 3 OS - http://www.engadget....rating-systems/

In fact MS have apparently confirmed it needs 3 GB - http://gimmegimmegam...-ram-for-games/

Do you only prefer selective marketing ######? The "3rd" OS is just a HyperV hypervisor and you should read on the RAM requirement for it. The 3 OS thing is nothing but a PR spin on it.

They are reserving 3GB for the "other" virtual machine (most likely a variant of Windows Runtime - WinXRT in addition to WinRT and WinPRT). The Xbox 360 OS is very small to beginwith so the XB1 shouldn't have that large of a footprint.

So the "need" is by design and not a necessity. They can always tweak it down(reduce the number of apps running in the background for example) or increase hardware RAM.

#18 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:52

Windows itself has always "reserved" RAM but that doesn't mean it's in use or can't be used by something when needed.   I believe in most cases if a game does need more that apps running in the background will just be paged out and that any additional reserved RAM will be freed up for the game to use. 

Anyways, DDR3 is cheap, going from 8GB to 12GB just to allow for very little paging to take place even in worst case scenarios won't add much to the cost.   But it's still a rumor, I think upping the GPU clock is more than possible though. 

#19 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:56

Do you only prefer selective marketing bull****? The "3rd" OS is just a HyperV hypervisor and you should read on the RAM requirement for it. The 3 OS thing is nothing but a PR spin on it.

They are reserving 3GB for the "other" virtual machine (most likely a variant of Windows Runtime - WinXRT in addition to WinRT and WinPRT). The Xbox 360 OS is very small to beginwith so the XB1 shouldn't have that large of a footprint.

So the "need" is by design and not a necessity. They can always tweak it down(reduce the number of apps running in the background for example) or increase hardware RAM.

Why are you getting annoyed at me? It's MS releasing these marketing/PR statements.

Quite funny when it's about the cloud marketing/PR it's "shutup and listen" and when it's about the 3 OS potentially needing 3GB its "don't be stupid it's just PR speak".

#20 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:58

RAM increase sounds unlikely given that they most probably "bought" a large number of chips for 8GB configuration already. Clock increase sounds possible but I still doubt the rumor.

#21 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 July 2013 - 14:17

Sounds good if true. But I would have thought the consoles were being manufactured by now? How late can they leave it before they have to start being churned out?

If this is true, then along with Microsoft's other changes I am slowly being tempted to get an Xbox One. Only two things are holding me back - games (from the exclusives shown it is still only Forza that interests me :( ) and some sort of Sky DVR functionality in the TV integration (would be entirely useless to me otherwise as I record nearly everything I watch).

#22 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 July 2013 - 14:17

Why are you getting annoyed at me? It's MS releasing these marketing/PR statements.

Quite funny when it's about the cloud marketing/PR it's "shutup and listen" and when it's about the 3 OS potentially needing 3GB its "don't be stupid it's just PR speak".

Annoyed? No. Amused? Yes.

I didnot say shutup and listen on most of cloud PR so not sure there.

You on the other hand laughed at every XB1 PR statement that you possibly can except this 3 OS thing now. Me and others have been saying this from the start that the 3 OS term is technically true but is still PR because the 3rd OS is a hypervisor.

#23 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 10 July 2013 - 19:24

Yeah the 3 OS thing needs to be cleared up.

I think MS decided to use that line simply to cut down on the technical jargon they would have to include in their pr statements.

If you look into it further, you find out that the reality is not straightforward. You have a Hyper V OS environment that runs two virtual machines or OSes. One is the Xbox OS and the other is Win 8. The Hyper V part isn't an os in the traditional sense, its more of a virtual os manager in the background.

So the reality is that there will be 2 OSes running on the box, Xbox OS focused solely on gaming, and Win 8 to handle everything else.

I agree with others that the 3gb rule is in place for multitasking reasons, not due to any OS needing it performance wise. I'm all for upping the total ram, it just makes it more future proof.

#24 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 10 July 2013 - 19:41

As far as I can tell the 3GB requirement isn't for the OS. It's for the entire Windows environment including apps running there like Skype (both when snapped, running background tasks, or just suspended in the background but ready to go immediately). It may also be including some amount of memory for the Xbox "gaming" OS.

I don't think it's quite accurate to say that it has 3 OSes anymore than you'd say a Windows PC with a hypervisor installed has 2. Unless there's something I'm missing, it sounds like 2 OSes + hypervisor.

#25 yardmanflex

yardmanflex

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 July 2013 - 22:47

...and the Xbox OS also shuts down when not in use. The original hypervisor, which shipped on Windows server, was about 1MB in size, so you are correct. But the 3GB is reserved for performance reasons, instead of having to page the HDD as much. Apps reside in that space as well.

Ok cool that makes more sense.

#26 Salutary7

Salutary7

Neowinian

Posted 11 July 2013 - 00:19

Sure, making changes at this point is expensive, but Microsoft is known for throwing money at their problems. I can definitely see such tweaks to the design being announced.