Clamp down on Real World Issues

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 29,878 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:51

The forum now requires a password to login, but that is also included in the form and stored as a cookie so you don't have to enter it every time you visit from the same device/session.

The reason for this is so we can relay a notice to members to respect the beliefs of others, and not give out any personal identifiable information.

People need to chill out there and respect that other people may not hold the same beliefs, additionally other people shouldn't start crying about others being trolls to me or other staff on PM while failing to even report the problem.

That is all.

#2 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,863 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:57

Sounds good. ;)

There is way too much use of the words 'troll' and 'trolling'.

Everyone's opinions should be respected.

#3 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• 25,550 posts
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:48

"to respect the beliefs of others"

I do not agree with that statement in the least, so your saying racists beliefs should be respected??

I agree you have the right to believe what you want, but that does not mean I can not criticize or ridicule nonsense.

Sorry if you're 16 and still believe in Santa Clause you can not expect to not be called on this, same goes for your nonsense belief in some sky fairy.

There is no reason for name calling or threats of physical harm, etc. But sorry if I think your a moron for holding a belief that you can not prove -- then I have just as much right to state my belief that you're an idiot, as you have to hold such nonsense to be true ;)

It can be tough to moderate discussions of this nature - but to be honest, if can not tolerate someone not having the same beliefs as you, or someone calling you on yours that you can not defend in a civil manner. Maybe you shouldn't be on the internet in the first place.

"Everyone's opinions should be respected."

Then you need to respect my opinion that your beliefs are nonsense and your an idiot for having them ;)

#4 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 29,878 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:54

"to respect the beliefs of others"

I do not agree with that statement in the least, so your saying racists beliefs should be respected??

I agree you have the right to believe what you want, but that does not mean I can not criticize or ridicule nonsense.

Sorry if your 16 and still believe in Santa Clause you can not expect to not be called on this, same goes for your nonsense belief in some sky fairy.

There is no reason for name calling or threats of physical harm, etc. But sorry if I think your a moron for holding a belief that you can not prove -- then I have just as much right to state my belief that your an idiot, as you have to hold such nonsense to be true ;)

It can be tough to moderate discussions of this nature - but to be honest, if can not tolerate someone not having the same beliefs as you, or someone calling you on yours that you can not defend in a civil manner. Maybe you shouldn't be on the internet in the first place.

Racism is already covered in our community rules, so that's really a non issue, and as such should be reported.

#5 compl3x

compl3x

One day until retirement

• 7,269 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 10 July 2013 - 14:09

I wasn't really aware there was a problem in that forum.

#6 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 15,683 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 14:59

So how do we get the magic word? I see nothing in my email, PM's and no automatic entry at the login - and my iPhone does store cookies/pw's.

#7 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• 2,184 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 10 July 2013 - 15:08

tells you when you click on the forum

#8 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,087 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 16:00

Measures like this just degrade common sense/society in the same way as putting warning signs up everywhere does, you should not have to be told these things.

#9 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,471 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 16:05

Measures like this just degrade common sense/society in the same way as putting warning signs up everywhere does, you should not have to be told these things.

And yet 95% of the reports we get are dealing with this exact issue in that exact forum. >.<

If we can get people to at least understand that person X they are dealing with may be from a different country, a different culture, a totally different perspective, and at least have a basic respect for them a as human being, that's a start. They are not just a username, they are a person just like you. You may not agree with them or think the way they do, but it doesn't automatically make them an idiot. It just means their path in life is different. (Obviously this doesn't extend to things like blatant racism or etc, but some of the biggest fights start over things that just boil down to basic differences in how people are raised and the rules of their society.)

#10 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 29,878 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 16:06

If everyone used common sense and decency we wouldn't need (so many) moderators. 

#11 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• 11,913 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 16:17

Common sense, decency and respect for others opinions should be inborn, unfortunately most have a shallow gene pool. :p

#12 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• 12,491 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 16:20

So how do we get the magic word? I see nothing in my email, PM's and no automatic entry at the login - and my iPhone does store cookies/pw's.

You'll have to enter the password for the RW forums when you visit them from your phone, then.

#13 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

• 2,077 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 17:10

I wasn't really aware there was a problem in that forum.

Of course you werent aware of this  :rolleyes:

Other then that good work! People should respect other people's beliefs 

#14 SirEvan

SirEvan

Neowinian Senior

• 3,392 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted 10 July 2013 - 17:14

What is this "Real World" you speak of?  Is that like...outside?

#15 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 16,695 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 17:15

Sounds good. ;)

There is way too much use of the words 'troll' and 'trolling'.

Everyone's opinions should be respected.

Agreed, but when someone expresses their opinion, more often than not they are called a troll when it is clear they are not trolling.  Some people really need to look up, and understand, the meaning of the word "Internet Troll"

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!