Clamp down on Real World Issues

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#91 TheAncientOne

TheAncientOne

Neowinian

• 165 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 18:55

RIP Real World Issues, May aswell go ahead and close the entire section because someone got their feeley weelys hurt.

People should be respected, beliefs should not be protected in the same way.

If someone gets their panties in a bunch because their conspiracy was debunked that's their problem, Trying to censor the people who debunked it is despicable.

I agree with you, in part.  As a member stated on this thread that beliefs such as racism shouldn't be respected along with other antagonistic belief systems.  At the same time, there are many other kinds of beliefs that are good.  In the same way the law intends to protect the good and innocent, while attempting to discouraging criminals, beliefs that we as a society believe to be "good" should be protected as well.

Be mindful that at the very heart of conflict is the spirit of intolerance.  Intolerance against evil is good, while intolerance against good is evil.

Just a thought.

#92 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,062 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 19:01

There's lack of respect and then there's censorship for the sake of censorship. If the avatar that I had removed, for example, offended anybody then the only conclusion I can draw from that is that the world is full of a bunch of complete and utter crybabies

#93 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• 26,595 posts
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 19:08

angry atheist fundies reciting their flying spaghetti monster and pink unicorn mantras. Now instead of 12 threads of stupid there's only a single 300-page one.

Sounds like name calling to me - How are we to have a constructive conversation if your just going to name call and make fun of statements made ;)

While calling someone names is never useful, calling an argument names doesn't achieve much more, and is often perceived to be just as offensive. Saying something like "That's a retarded statement" leads you no closer to refuting it. If anything it weakens your stance; why would you resort to such a low tactic if you were confident in your reasoning?

Hey pot meet kettle ;)

#94 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• 12,991 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 19:09

That's absolutely enough bickering and name-calling. I'll leave what's here to stay and will start handing out posting restrictions to those that can't wrap their heads around where they're posting this nonsense. If you don't like being treated like a child then please stop acting like one.

#95 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,252 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 19:15

Person 1: Santa Claus exists and I'm best friends with his favourite elf. We had dinner last night.

Are you implying Santa is not real ??? :p

#96 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• 7,842 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 19:26

Hey pot meet kettle ;)

I'm afraid you must have missed my point. I'm not trying to refute anyone. I'm describing what the situation is in the RWI. Unless I'm mistaken the premise of the thread is that there's too much "immature" and "childish" going on there; me calling a set of threads "stupid" is not very different. 

#97 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,062 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 19:42

From what I've seen, if you read the posts of some of the religious members as well the stuff in the religion thread is pretty much ###### for tat.

#98 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,840 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 17:34

We don't have any moderators recruited because of their fantastic contributions in RWI.

And you don't think that is part of the problem?  Sadly, Neowin can't stand on its own feet as a tech site.  It needs the other forums to keep people coming here.

I also don't understand that if we are supposed to respect all 'cultures' and points of view, how you can take racism or sexism or any other amount of isms off the table.  If I want to profess an unpopular point of view, I shouldn't have to worry about being censored because a random mod doesn't respect that difference of origin/opinion.

There are plenty of barbaric ideas that are expressed here everyday, but much like the current firing of a certain Southern cook, if you dare to use a 'no-no' word, you and your post are immediately branded with ZERO regard for context or devil's advocacy.

Half the comments in this thread are perfect examples of why RWI has issues.

Seems you don't get why people go there to begin with.  Mods should stick to their own comfort sections and stay out of ones they are biased towards.  If you approach RWI as if its kindercare and 'you' have to (pretend) be the adult, you only further encourage childishness with ham-handed moderation, bereft of content or experience.  Any ref who doesn't have a love and deep understanding of the game, shouldn't be on the court.

The official religion thread is a baby fence that was deemed necessary because of every topic pertaining to religion being invaded by angry atheist fundies reciting their flying spaghetti monster and pink unicorn mantras. Now instead of 12 threads of stupid there's only a single 300-page one. 

I've paid it attention in the past, but eventually came to the conclusion that trying to have a constructive discussion there is pointless. It's just a garbage dump. I would like to have a constructive discussion about religion, but unfortunately Neowin is not the place for it.

That's interesting Asik, as I remember having some pretty good discussion with you back when there were 12 threads instead of a single recycled one that one or two members can monopolize.  By lumping it all together, you simply dilute any possibility of an actual discussion with any amount of nuance. 'Superthreads' never result in intelligent discussion, but simple bomb throwing.

#99 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• 7,842 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 18:19

That's interesting Asik, as I remember having some pretty good discussion with you back when there were 12 threads instead of a single recycled one that one or two members can monopolize.  By lumping it all together, you simply dilute any possibility of an actual discussion with any amount of nuance. 'Superthreads' never result in intelligent discussion, but simple bomb throwing.

I could not agree more. I strongly believe the official religion thread should be abolished, that there should be some rule that pertains to post quality, and that members who troll every religion-related thread with the same arguments all the time should get post restrictions based on that rule.

The same would apply for the other "official" threads I guess.

#100 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,840 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 20:01

The same would apply for the other "official" threads I guess.

Or simply reserve Official threads for less passionate discussions...give Religion its own subforum and give RWI a different set of rules, and hence, its own mods/MVPs.  Then your new announcement system actually has meaning.

#101 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

• 5,368 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 19:47

if we are putting a password to restrict people that can't type the word password we may as well put the same password on the rest of the forum or remove it. It's a stupid idea as it does nothing but put a step into getting into the section of the forum you want to get into.

If people are going to troll putting a password:password on the section is pointless.

People will still have their opinions if that section of the forum is secured (badly) or not.

#102 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,444 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 19:53

if we are putting a password so restrict people that can't type the word password we may as well put the same password on the rest of the forum or remove it. It's a stupid idea as it does nothing but put a step into getting into the section of the forum you want to get into.

If people are going to troll putting a password:password on the section is pointless.

People will still have their opinions if that section of the forum is secured (badly) or not.

Serves as a warning/disclaimer to tell people to relax in these forums.  Basically you are agreeing to respect others believes by typing in the password and to be an adult.  So you cannot say you have not been warned if something happens.

#103 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

• 5,368 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 19:56

What about the current "Rule breaking has consequences; think before you post · Community Rules" above the boxes where you type a response? If that is not enough putting a stupid password on the section will also have zero effect.

#104 illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• 504 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:01

I think people should start using common sense. Cameron will block access to neowin otherwise.

#105 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,792 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 29 July 2013 - 13:46

How can a major technology forums such as Neowin use an easy to guess password? Don't you know about hackers and bad guys yet?

/s

p.s. this thread linked from forum issues helped. thanks. :)