Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Core Backup

Hi,

I've got a lab set up at home that consists of Server 2012 Hyper-v Core as the host and a few guest VMs running mainly Server 2012 and Windows 8. I want to backup the host as well as the guests using the built in backup utility that comes with Server 2012 Hyper-V. I've got as far as adding the server backup feature and since Hyper-v Core doesn't include a GUI I'm stuck as to how do I create a backup!

Anyone have experience or know how to do this.

Thanks!

Moved to Server Support

Check out my thread when it comes to that.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1119158-server-2012-incremental-hyper-v-client-backups/

But you say Server 2012 Hyper-V Core - Do you mean:

Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 - which is free or do you mean Server 2012 Standard with the Hyper-V add-on?

The backup in Server 2012 Standard can backup Hyper-Vs by just checking the box but I've never used the first option so I don't know if it's the same.

It's the Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 Core *Free* (bare metal even) not Hyper-v role installed on Server 2012!

• 3 weeks later...

It's the Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 Core *Free* (bare metal even) not Hyper-v role installed on Server 2012!

It can be done - however, you will need to learn how to use Windows PowerShell to do so.

All the PowerShell tricks that apply to Server 2012 apply to Hyper-V Server 2012 as well.

The big reason I am using Server 2012 - not Hyper-V Server 2012 - as the core of my virtualization lab is the GUI; I'm admittedly pants about PowerShell.