Photo
washington dc economic development admin technology budget computer emergency response team no malware

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:57

“External incident responders were unable to provide the assurance EDA’s CIO sought, because doing so involved proving that an infection could not exist rather than that one did not exist,” the report said.

In the end, only six infected components were identified and according to the report, all easily fixable. But instead of taking that route, the EDA decided to physically destroy its hardware system.

They HAL 9000'ed themselves :) 

Probably just a faulty logic center.

The novel explains that HAL is unable to resolve a conflict between his general mission to relay information accurately and orders specific to the mission requiring that he withhold from Bowman and Poole the true purpose of the mission. With the crew dead, he reasons, he would not need to be lying to them. He fabricates the failure of the AE-35 unit so that their deaths would appear accidental. 

This contradiction created a "Hofstadter-Moebius loop", reducing HAL to paranoia. Therefore, HAL made the decision to kill the crew, thereby allowing him to obey both his hardwired instructions to report data truthfully and in full, and his orders to keep the monolith a secret. In essence: if the crew were dead, he would no longer have to keep the information secret.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_9000

#17 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• 1,225 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:00

oh my... Yikes... How about some education there. 

#18 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:21

Hahaha, that's so awesome. I'm amazed that as common as computers are, so many people are still so clueless about them. What's $2.7 million wasted anyway? What's funny is I bet no matter what they destroyed, it wouldn't cost anywhere near $2.7 million to replace. So they probably wasted money by destroying them, then wasted more by spending way too much to replace them.

#19 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• 3,553 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:29

sometimes you just have to be sure..

#20 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 4,110 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:37

They HAL 9000'ed themselves :)  

"This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been due to human error." - HAL

#21 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,530 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:40

I meant less prone to viruses. A base Dell OptiPlex costs $400, compared to a Mac which is like $2000, thus is why the Govt, businesses, schools use PCs!  If our govt bought Macs, we would be in severe debt :woot:

/me looks back to the 90's when most schools used macs

(i was in elementary school in the mid-to-late 90's btw)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!