• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 10 July 2013 - 23:01

hi! I am trying to attach my USB external HDD but im being an idiot and cant find how to do it ? do i have to reboot withit plugged in or can i plug and play it ?

#2 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 10 July 2013 - 23:06

You'll need to expand on your details...

Are you whiteboxing ESXi? Are you using a server on the official HCL? Have you already done this install?

Also, why would you use a USB HDD instead of a regular USB flash drive? If you're going to use a full HDD might as well let it spin inside the server...

#3 OP Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

Posted 10 July 2013 - 23:13

You'll need to expand on your details...

Are you whiteboxing ESXi? Are you using a server on the official HCL? Have you already done this install?

Also, why would you use a USB HDD instead of a regular USB flash drive? If you're going to use a full HDD might as well let it spin inside the server...

I would let it go in the server but I saw no sata connections ? maybe i am just blind? 

whitebording esxi? dont know what you mean... Im very much a noob wiith it ... 

my esxi has been installed on a HP proliant G4 ... its 5.0 and i have a permanent free license 

I am not really a hard ware person, still learning ... I know the very basics :p components of a computer/laptop and some server 

#4 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 10 July 2013 - 23:17

Did you add the USB Host Controller.  It's not added by default in ESXi.

Go into the machines settings and add it.  Then it should work.

@+Logical Apex

I use a USB HD a lot moving a lot of files.  It's much faster than USB, typically.

#5 OP Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

Posted 10 July 2013 - 23:54

Did you add the USB Host Controller.  It's not added by default in ESXi.

Go into the machines settings and add it.  Then it should work.

@+Logical Apex

I use a USB HD a lot moving a lot of files.  It's much faster than USB, typically.

i have yes :s in all honesty this is just confusing the hell out of me i dont even know where to start... im using an old case for the HD so im not even going to know if the case is 100% working or not :/ fml ;( 

#6 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 00:14

So question for you are you trying to give a VM on your esxi host access to the usb hdd, or are you trying to give the esxi host access to use as datastore.. There is a huge difference!!

Also - you need to verify that the disk in your usb enclosure is actually working - do you not have some other pc you can plug it into and verify?

So I am assuming this has to do with your whole media thread?? And your wanting to give access to some storage that you have your media on to a vm your running some sort of media streamer software?

So in this case you need to add a usb controller to your VM

usb-device.png

This will then allow you to added usb devices that your host sees to your VM

device.png

This is pretty straight forward - if your host is not seeing the device then your not going to be able to attach it to the VM, etc.

Now on a side note -- why are you running 5.0 when 5.1 has been out for almost a year now.. Update 1 came out in april, etc.

If your wanting to use USB as datastore on the host - AFAIK I don't think its possible, the speed would be a drawback for starters. You can boot esxi off usb, but after its booted it doesn't do much to the drive it booted from.. But a datastore has constant read/write and usb would be dog slow in this aspect.. Best datastores are SSD, which is on my purchase list ;)

I would suggest you run a current version of esxi - its still FREE ;) And then be happy to walk you through anything you could possible need help with.

#7 OP Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

Posted 11 July 2013 - 00:37

So question for you are you trying to give a VM on your esxi host access to the usb hdd, or are you trying to give the esxi host access to use as datastore.. There is a huge difference!!

Also - you need to verify that the disk in your usb enclosure is actually working - do you not have some other pc you can plug it into and verify?

So I am assuming this has to do with your whole media thread?? And your wanting to give access to some storage that you have your media on to a vm your running some sort of media streamer software?

So in this case you need to add a usb controller to your VM

attachicon.gifusb-device.png

This will then allow you to added usb devices that your host sees to your VM

attachicon.gifdevice.png

This is pretty straight forward - if your host is not seeing the device then your not going to be able to attach it to the VM, etc.

Now on a side note -- why are you running 5.0 when 5.1 has been out for almost a year now.. Update 1 came out in april, etc.

If your wanting to use USB as datastore on the host - AFAIK I don't think its possible, the speed would be a drawback for starters. You can boot esxi off usb, but after its booted it doesn't do much to the drive it booted from.. But a datastore has constant read/write and usb would be dog slow in this aspect.. Best datastores are SSD, which is on my purchase list ;)

I would suggest you run a current version of esxi - its still FREE ;) And then be happy to walk you through anything you could possible need help with.

I do love you budman <3 

I will read through this all in a second :p i just decided to switch to my smaller machine (1 u high rather then 6 u) cause it has more ram and the processing power is bassically the same :p just makes less noise and uses less electricity while idle :p ... EITHER WAY i shall go through it in a mo and post back, just thought I would say thanks you always help me with this ###### (and it does help btw I am learning)

#8 OP Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:22

thanks got it working :p (ish) now its all linux side

#9 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:34

What does working(ish) mean - do you not know how to mount usb in linux?