USB drive and ESXI?

hi! I am trying to attach my USB external HDD but im being an idiot and cant find how to do it ? do i have to reboot withit plugged in or can i plug and play it ?

You'll need to expand on your details...

Are you whiteboxing ESXi? Are you using a server on the official HCL? Have you already done this install?

Also, why would you use a USB HDD instead of a regular USB flash drive? If you're going to use a full HDD might as well let it spin inside the server...

You'll need to expand on your details...

Are you whiteboxing ESXi? Are you using a server on the official HCL? Have you already done this install?

Also, why would you use a USB HDD instead of a regular USB flash drive? If you're going to use a full HDD might as well let it spin inside the server...

I would let it go in the server but I saw no sata connections ? maybe i am just blind? 

whitebording esxi? dont know what you mean... Im very much a noob wiith it ... 

my esxi has been installed on a HP proliant G4 ... its 5.0 and i have a permanent free license 

I am not really a hard ware person, still learning ... I know the very basics :P components of a computer/laptop and some server 

Did you add the USB Host Controller.  It's not added by default in ESXi.

Go into the machines settings and add it.  Then it should work.

@+Logical Apex

I use a USB HD a lot moving a lot of files.  It's much faster than USB, typically.

Did you add the USB Host Controller.  It's not added by default in ESXi.

Go into the machines settings and add it.  Then it should work.

@+Logical Apex

I use a USB HD a lot moving a lot of files.  It's much faster than USB, typically.

i have yes :s in all honesty this is just confusing the hell out of me i dont even know where to start... im using an old case for the HD so im not even going to know if the case is 100% working or not :/ fml ;( 

So question for you are you trying to give a VM on your esxi host access to the usb hdd, or are you trying to give the esxi host access to use as datastore.. There is a huge difference!!

Also - you need to verify that the disk in your usb enclosure is actually working - do you not have some other pc you can plug it into and verify?

So I am assuming this has to do with your whole media thread?? And your wanting to give access to some storage that you have your media on to a vm your running some sort of media streamer software?

So in this case you need to add a usb controller to your VM

post-14624-0-58040000-1373501109.png

This will then allow you to added usb devices that your host sees to your VM

post-14624-0-19936100-1373501135.png

This is pretty straight forward - if your host is not seeing the device then your not going to be able to attach it to the VM, etc.

Now on a side note -- why are you running 5.0 when 5.1 has been out for almost a year now.. Update 1 came out in april, etc.

If your wanting to use USB as datastore on the host - AFAIK I don't think its possible, the speed would be a drawback for starters. You can boot esxi off usb, but after its booted it doesn't do much to the drive it booted from.. But a datastore has constant read/write and usb would be dog slow in this aspect.. Best datastores are SSD, which is on my purchase list ;)

I would suggest you run a current version of esxi - its still FREE ;) And then be happy to walk you through anything you could possible need help with.

So question for you are you trying to give a VM on your esxi host access to the usb hdd, or are you trying to give the esxi host access to use as datastore.. There is a huge difference!!

Also - you need to verify that the disk in your usb enclosure is actually working - do you not have some other pc you can plug it into and verify?

So I am assuming this has to do with your whole media thread?? And your wanting to give access to some storage that you have your media on to a vm your running some sort of media streamer software?

So in this case you need to add a usb controller to your VM

attachicon.gifusb-device.png

This will then allow you to added usb devices that your host sees to your VM

attachicon.gifdevice.png

This is pretty straight forward - if your host is not seeing the device then your not going to be able to attach it to the VM, etc.

Now on a side note -- why are you running 5.0 when 5.1 has been out for almost a year now.. Update 1 came out in april, etc.

If your wanting to use USB as datastore on the host - AFAIK I don't think its possible, the speed would be a drawback for starters. You can boot esxi off usb, but after its booted it doesn't do much to the drive it booted from.. But a datastore has constant read/write and usb would be dog slow in this aspect.. Best datastores are SSD, which is on my purchase list ;)

I would suggest you run a current version of esxi - its still FREE ;) And then be happy to walk you through anything you could possible need help with.

I do love you budman <3 

I will read through this all in a second :P i just decided to switch to my smaller machine (1 u high rather then 6 u) cause it has more ram and the processing power is bassically the same :P just makes less noise and uses less electricity while idle :P ... EITHER WAY i shall go through it in a mo and post back, just thought I would say thanks you always help me with this ###### (and it does help btw I am learning)