9 posts in this topic

Posted

OKLAHOMA CITY

Posted

OKLAHOMA CITY

Posted

eh, no. 

I was thinking the same thing. Most places in the world got free health care.

Posted

I was thinking the same thing. Most places in the world got free health care.

Nothing is free... most of those places pay a huge amount of tax on their everyday lives/purchases.

1 person likes this

Posted

Nothing is free... most of those places pay a huge amount of tax on their everyday lives/purchases.

and yet, at the end of the day, we have more money left of our paycheck than the average American... maybe just maybe, our system is better, and cheaper than having a boatload of insurances, and being denied proper healthcare if you can't afford it. 

2 people like this

Posted

Yup, but if you ask me it's definitely worth it.  I wish the US could switch to a single-payer model of sorts, not this weird hodge-podge of insurance and government subsidies.

The problem with our current state of healthcare is it's profit-driven, and that it's tied with employment.  You lose your job, you also lose your insurance.  It really shouldn't be the case.  In a perfect world, we would eliminate insurance from employment and raise wages instead.

Back to the OP:

The only reason this hospital is able to post these surgery prices is because you must pay out-of-pocket in advance in order to undergo these procedures.  This won't cause a bidding war.. many other hospitals still have insurance companies and the government reimbursements to deal with.  I assume that this hospital doesn't have an ER that accepts anyone regardless of ability to pay, otherwise the prices would be much higher.

Posted

Yup, but if you ask me it's definitely worth it.  I wish the US could switch to a single-payer model of sorts, not this weird hodge-podge of insurance and government subsidies.

The problem with our current state of healthcare is it's profit-driven, and that it's tied with employment.  You lose your job, you also lose your insurance.  It really shouldn't be the case.  In a perfect world, we would eliminate insurance from employment and raise wages instead.

Back to the OP:

The only reason this hospital is able to post these surgery prices is because you must pay out-of-pocket in advance in order to undergo these procedures.  This won't cause a bidding war.. many other hospitals still have insurance companies and the government reimbursements to deal with.  I assume that this hospital doesn't have an ER that accepts anyone regardless of ability to pay, otherwise the prices would be much higher.

Well the hospital does accept insurance, just not the government mandated insurance because it has clauses that denies this sort of crap. 

Posted

Well the hospital does accept insurance, just not the government mandated insurance because it has clauses that denies this sort of crap. 

It does, I should have clarified: the prices shown are based on cash out-of-pocket.  If you have insurance, the prices shown don't apply to you.  Hence my argument that this hospital won't start a bidding war that will suddenly cause healthcare prices to plummet.. this bidding war only works with hospitals that operate similarily to this one in Oklahoma.

Posted

In a perfect world, there would be far fewer people. ;)

1 person likes this