Weird Startup

Hello :)

I have found myself with another issue.

This last week, on 2 separate occasions, once on Tuesday, and once last night approx 10pm UK time, my pc was running with a message saying it has recovered from some sort of error, I didn't screencap it (like an idiot) nor can I seem to recreate it.

Basically, when my wife was done with the PC she said she had shut it down, (not hibernate or sleep) (hibernate is disabled using a command line anyways, has been since we got win7)

But when I came up to the bedroom, like I said, it was on, accrording to the uptime, the first time this happened it was on for 3 hours, this last time was about 10 or 15 minutes.

Has anyone else ever had their pc start up for no reason after it was 'shut down'?

(I know some can be via the wireless or ethernet, but I thought that was from sleep mode only....)

Wake-On-Lan can turn on a computer from a full off, despite its name. However, it cannot probably happen by accident - it must be enabled in BIOS, target's MAC must be known and most router firewalls don't let it through from anywhere. Resume by RTC alarm can turn it on, but, again, it must be specifically enabled in BIOS and also happens at the exact time it's set to do so. So, both unlikely.

• Like 1

As far as I am aware, PC can be turned on only by physical switch. but it can be waken by any other means.

this is what I thought too, just making sure (as much as I now know about pc's I still have a lot to learn)

Wake-On-Lan can turn on a computer from a full off, despite its name. However, it cannot probably happen by accident - it must be enabled in BIOS, target's MAC must be known and most router firewalls don't let it through from anywhere. Resume by RTC alarm can turn it on, but, again, it must be specifically enabled in BIOS and also happens at the exact time it's set to do so. So, both unlikely.

ok I'll check bios just to make sure

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe, turns out power on by keyboard was enabled, which shouldn't have mattered as G19's don't have a power button.

I disabled it, and I'll give it a week or so, just to see if this is resolved.

I have seen some Mainboards with a timer in the Bios so you could set a specific time to turn the PC on. I don't think that this the problem though, as it sounds that your PC is starting up a bit to randomly.

• Like 1

I have seen some Mainboards with a timer in the Bios so you could set a specific time to turn the PC on. I don't think that this the problem though, as it sounds that your PC is starting up a bit to randomly.

Although a faulty power button or a power spike could switch on a PC.

• Like 1

I have no idea who to mark as best answer, since I posted this topic it hasn't happened again, my thanks to all of you for trying to help me.