• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#1 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 11 July 2013 - 13:24

Mark Whitten via Joystiq: (Xbox Chief Product Officer)

We still absolutely believe in Kinect. It's a core part of the architecture. Frankly, it's really critical that you build it as something that's always there, always part of the platform. So that game creators, experience creators can know they can rely on it. And you, the user, that there's always a consistent experience. That it's not just an accessory.

For those hoping that the Xbox One was going to get a price drop before release I have some bad news.. Mark Whitten has confirmed that the Xbox One will not drop price nor remove the bundled kinect

More details in source link below:

http://www.idigitalt...hout-kinect.htm

..So the company may face a scenario where a premature Xbox One price cut is necessary to ensure that the online platform and its console don’t sputter out.

This would come as a surprise to Market Analysts and Stockbrokers who believed this was the path Microsoft needed to take.

http://beta.fool.com...ogyholnk0000001

PS4 Vs. Xbox One: Nearly 80 Percent Of Gamers Would Still Prefer PS4 If It Cost $500 According To Poll

Very biased online poll suggest that even with a price match, its unlikely the Xbox One would catch up to PS4 sales.

http://www.ibtimes.c...ding-poll-photo

#2 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 11 July 2013 - 13:29

$50 cheaper would have hit a sweet spot for Microsoft.

But who are we to decide the price of a console. R&D costs must be different for both MS and Sony. They adjusted cost based on their priorities. Whether they wanted to undercut the competition or to have a sustainable profit from get go.

#3 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 July 2013 - 13:33

"Mark Whitten has confirmed that the Xbox One will not drop price nor remove the bundled kinect"

Good.

#4 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 July 2013 - 13:33

Good, Sony aren't offering what MS are offering which supports the price difference. The Kinect is worth nearly the cost of the box on it's own.

Sony are just playing dirty this generation, they're taking cheap stabs at everything.

#5 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 11 July 2013 - 13:35

The X1 will have more functionality with Kinect, which easily justifies the price.  Sure not everybody wants or cares about Kinect, myself kind of included, but there's nothing from forcing anybody to buy it.  If that $100 is that big of a deal, get the PS4 then.

Plus from the previews we've seen, it's up-in-the air whether the PS4 can do 60 fps, so that alone would make he hesitant to buy one.

#6 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 July 2013 - 13:36

For those hoping that the Xbox One was going to get a price drop before release I have some bad news.. Mark Whitten has confirmed that the Xbox One will not drop price nor remove the bundled kinect

More details in source link below:

That article's from mid June...  You have some bad news now?

#7 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 11 July 2013 - 13:42

Since I don't care about Kinect,

Xbox One = PS4 + 2 AAA games.

That's enough to tilt my buying decision at launch in PS4's favour.

#8 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 July 2013 - 13:45

Since I don't care about Kinect,

Xbox One = PS4 + 2 AAA games.

That's enough to sway my buying decision at launch in PS4's favour.

I totally get that attitude, but there's some points about the PS4 which really put me off getting one on release.

The PS4 can't and wont be hitting 60fps on launch games, this has been stated numerous times that all the devs are targeting 30fps on games. Whereas the X1 is all 60fps. Thats a humongous difference regarding gameplay.

In addition, every online game will be running on dedicated servers on the X1, that means no NAT problems no terrible P2P hosts. Thats worth $100 alone for me!

Dont they bother you? Like for me personally its worth the money.

#9 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 11 July 2013 - 13:47

"Mark Whitten has confirmed that the Xbox One will not drop price nor remove the bundled kinect"

Good.

Only on Neowin lol.

#10 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 11 July 2013 - 13:52

Don't need a price drop. But with the recent ratification of 802.11ac and the sudden appearance of micro-USB adapters/controllers, sure would be nice if they upgraded the wifi. Surely it's too late, but we can dream.

#11 OP GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 11 July 2013 - 13:56

The PS4 can't and wont be hitting 60fps on launch games, this has been stated numerous times that all the devs are targeting 30fps on games. Whereas the X1 is all 60fps. Thats a humongous difference regarding gameplay.

In addition, every online game will be running on dedicated servers on the X1, that means no NAT problems no terrible P2P hosts. Thats worth $100 alone for me!

The fps rate is solely up to the game developer, both PS4 and Xbox One are going to have 30fps and 60fps games it just depends on developer preference.

Both the PS4 and Xbox One will run multiplayer games on dedicated servers. 

#12 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 11 July 2013 - 14:04

Don't need a price drop. But with the recent ratification of 802.11ac and the sudden appearance of micro-USB adapters/controllers, sure would be nice if they upgraded the wifi. Surely it's too late, but we can dream.

AC support will likely be available via an official addon at some point when it's a bit more prevalent, just like the N adapter initially on the 360.

Though the necessity of it is in question, since you're not likely to be doing massive file transfers between machines and all that.

#13 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 July 2013 - 14:04

Only on Neowin lol.

My reasoning is that as soon as they drop the price, they need to cut things out of the system to make up the difference.  That would fragment the market like the Core system did with the 360.

A fragmented market is ass.

But ###### logic right, and immediately jump to me being a fanboy.  Real mature of you.  :crazy:

#14 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 11 July 2013 - 14:05

Who ever thought there was a price drop on the cards? Please point me in their general direction so that I may mock them vigorously.

#15 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 11 July 2013 - 14:07

Both the PS4 and Xbox One will run multiplayer games on dedicated servers. 

Who's hosting?  PCs?  The publisher?  Dedicated PS4s?

The Xbox 360 and PS3 both used client hosted servers for most games, so that might not be terribly accurate.