Xbox One Price Drop? - "No Chance" - Xbox

Mark Whitten via Joystiq: (Xbox Chief Product Officer)

We still absolutely believe in Kinect. It's a core part of the architecture. Frankly, it's really critical that you build it as something that's always there, always part of the platform. So that game creators, experience creators can know they can rely on it. And you, the user, that there's always a consistent experience. That it's not just an accessory.

For those hoping that the Xbox One was going to get a price drop before release I have some bad news.. Mark Whitten has confirmed that the Xbox One will not drop price nor remove the bundled kinect

More details in source link below:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/18442/20130621/xbox-one-price-drop-cut-without-kinect.htm

..So the company may face a scenario where a premature Xbox One price cut is necessary to ensure that the online platform and its console don?t sputter out.

This would come as a surprise to Market Analysts and Stockbrokers who believed this was the path Microsoft needed to take.

http://beta.fool.com/jimeverett73/2013/07/10/xbox-one-disaster-hurts-microsoft/39405/?source=eogyholnk0000001

PS4 Vs. Xbox One: Nearly 80 Percent Of Gamers Would Still Prefer PS4 If It Cost $500 According To Poll

Very biased online poll suggest that even with a price match, its unlikely the Xbox One would catch up to PS4 sales.

http://www.ibtimes.com/ps4-vs-xbox-one-nearly-80-percent-gamers-would-still-prefer-ps4-if-it-cost-500-according-poll-photo

$50 cheaper would have hit a sweet spot for Microsoft.

But who are we to decide the price of a console. R&D costs must be different for both MS and Sony. They adjusted cost based on their priorities. Whether they wanted to undercut the competition or to have a sustainable profit from get go.

Good, Sony aren't offering what MS are offering which supports the price difference. The Kinect is worth nearly the cost of the box on it's own.

Sony are just playing dirty this generation, they're taking cheap stabs at everything.

The X1 will have more functionality with Kinect, which easily justifies the price.  Sure not everybody wants or cares about Kinect, myself kind of included, but there's nothing from forcing anybody to buy it.  If that $100 is that big of a deal, get the PS4 then.

Plus from the previews we've seen, it's up-in-the air whether the PS4 can do 60 fps, so that alone would make he hesitant to buy one.

For those hoping that the Xbox One was going to get a price drop before release I have some bad news.. Mark Whitten has confirmed that the Xbox One will not drop price nor remove the bundled kinect

More details in source link below:

That article's from mid June...  You have some bad news now?

Since I don't care about Kinect,

Xbox One = PS4 + 2 AAA games.

That's enough to tilt my buying decision at launch in PS4's favour.

Since I don't care about Kinect,

Xbox One = PS4 + 2 AAA games.

That's enough to sway my buying decision at launch in PS4's favour.

I totally get that attitude, but there's some points about the PS4 which really put me off getting one on release.

The PS4 can't and wont be hitting 60fps on launch games, this has been stated numerous times that all the devs are targeting 30fps on games. Whereas the X1 is all 60fps. Thats a humongous difference regarding gameplay.

In addition, every online game will be running on dedicated servers on the X1, that means no NAT problems no terrible P2P hosts. Thats worth $100 alone for me!

Dont they bother you? Like for me personally its worth the money.

Don't need a price drop. But with the recent ratification of 802.11ac and the sudden appearance of micro-USB adapters/controllers, sure would be nice if they upgraded the wifi. Surely it's too late, but we can dream.

The PS4 can't and wont be hitting 60fps on launch games, this has been stated numerous times that all the devs are targeting 30fps on games. Whereas the X1 is all 60fps. Thats a humongous difference regarding gameplay.

In addition, every online game will be running on dedicated servers on the X1, that means no NAT problems no terrible P2P hosts. Thats worth $100 alone for me!

The fps rate is solely up to the game developer, both PS4 and Xbox One are going to have 30fps and 60fps games it just depends on developer preference.

Both the PS4 and Xbox One will run multiplayer games on dedicated servers. 

Don't need a price drop. But with the recent ratification of 802.11ac and the sudden appearance of micro-USB adapters/controllers, sure would be nice if they upgraded the wifi. Surely it's too late, but we can dream.

AC support will likely be available via an official addon at some point when it's a bit more prevalent, just like the N adapter initially on the 360.

Though the necessity of it is in question, since you're not likely to be doing massive file transfers between machines and all that.

Only on Neowin lol.

My reasoning is that as soon as they drop the price, they need to cut things out of the system to make up the difference.  That would fragment the market like the Core system did with the 360.

A fragmented market is ass.

But ###### logic right, and immediately jump to me being a fanboy.  Real mature of you.  :crazy:

Who ever thought there was a price drop on the cards? Please point me in their general direction so that I may mock them vigorously.

Who's hosting?  PCs?  The publisher?  Dedicated PS4s?

The Xbox 360 and PS3 both used client hosted servers for most games, so that might not be terribly accurate.

My reasoning is that as soon as they drop the price, they need to cut things out of the system to make up the difference.  That would fragment the market like the Core system did with the 360.

A fragmented market is ass.

But **** logic right, and immediately jump to me being a fanboy.  Real mature of you.  :crazy:

Or they could sell at more of a loss.... like they did with the 360. 

The fps rate is solely up to the game developer, both PS4 and Xbox One are going to have 30fps and 60fps games it just depends on developer preference.

You are right there, FPS targets are determined by the developers, buts thats based on the current average framerate and the amount of optimisation they can do on the code. Every game which has been announced so far runs at 60fps on the X1. Even third party's like BF4.

No, only the X1 uses dedicated servers for matches across all games.

+1000

With casual business and PC usage covered by the X1 it's a lot harder to sell at a loss.  You can't guarantee people will buy games for it to make up the loss anymore.

Who's hosting?  PCs?  The publisher?  Dedicated PS4s?

The Xbox 360 and PS3 both used client hosted servers for most games, so that might not be terribly accurate.

Servers hence the dedicated 'servers'...  :s

Yes both the PS3 and Xbox360 used client hosted or P2P servers, but PS3 was free and Xbox was paid.

Now the PS4 multiplayer is a paid service and is on dedicated servers.. key word 'servers'

Servers hence the dedicated 'servers'...  :s

Yes both the PS3 and Xbox360 used client hosted or P2P servers, but PS3 was free and Xbox was paid.

Now the PS4 multiplayer is a paid service and is on dedicated servers.. key word 'servers'

Seriously dude, its not. Its the same P2P method.

You're talking about the ecosystem in general but not per-game servers at all.

Actually the fact that sony only offers a low level language SDK for the PS4, so the devs need to do low level coding figure out how to optimize and do all the opimizing themselves(something that takes years of working with it and will only happen with firt party titles form studios in thei 3+ games at best, while the Xbox has the directX and Xbox SDK which is a dream to work with offer functions that are already optimized in a easy to use high level language. This has a far bigger impact on framerate performance. The PS4 devs simply aren't able to fully use the hardware yet, and that's why they're having a hard time even hittign stable 30fps right now. 

why all indications are they're sellign out anyway and even out selling the PS4. why on earth would they chose to sell at a loss....

• Like 3

We still absolutely believe in Kinect. It's a core part of the architecture. Frankly, it's really critical that you build it as something that's always there, always part of the platform.

Ty Mark Whitten. This makes my decision between an XBox One and a PS4 easy. I don't care about Kinect. If it's critical to the console then you wont get any $ from me.

You are right there, FPS targets are determined by the developers, buts thats based on the current average framerate and the amount of optimisation they can do on the code. Every game which has been announced so far runs at 60fps on the X1. Even third party's like BF4.

http://gamingbolt.com/list-of-next-gen-games-that-are-confirmedexpected-to-be-running-at-1080p-resolution-60-fps

BF4 Confirmed at 1080p 60fps on PS4, 

"Rajat Taneja, EA CTO, seemed very enthusiastic about Battlefield 4 saying that it is indeed ?stunning?; he then follows up with an implication that PS4;s power is aiding the creative development of the title. The title runs in 1080p and 60FPS. ?The imagination of the developers along with that power?; Rajat Taneja also sees the next generation of gaming consoles being 8-10x more powerful than this one we?re currently in."

Statement from CTO of EA (Publisher of Battlefield 4)

http://gamingbolt.com/list-of-next-gen-games-that-are-confirmedexpected-to-be-running-at-1080p-resolution-60-fps

BF4 Confirmed at 1080p 60fps on PS4, 

"Rajat Taneja, EA CTO, seemed very enthusiastic about Battlefield 4 saying that it is indeed ?stunning?; he then follows up with an implication that PS4;s power is aiding the creative development of the title. The title runs in 1080p and 60FPS. ?The imagination of the developers along with that power?; Rajat Taneja also sees the next generation of gaming consoles being 8-10x more powerful than this one we?re currently in."

Statement from CTO of EA (Publisher of Battlefield 4)

You managed to derail another thread that you started YET AGAIN.

What does that have to do with "no price drop"?

Why can you never stay on topic?