Xbox One Price Drop? - "No Chance" - Xbox

Define why it wasn't a meaningful competitor to the PS2. Because the comment you quoted was a question and he says the PS2 has no competition cause it had better games, better content and third party support. Doesn't that make the console better?

no. hardware wise it was not a "better" console. Xbox clearly had superior specs+hardware than PS2. It had massive games library (third party support as you said). I wouldn't say "better" games or content because that is subjective but it clearly had much larger library compared to Xbox.

If you wanted more games with wider variety, you bought a PS2 - there was no competition.

Weekly data may be a calculated guess at VGChartz but anything older that that and the data is directly from the NPD.

you do realize NPD is data for one country only, U.S.

So the US is the only country with a National Purchase Diary?

Best to know what your talking about before you post.

So the US is the only country with a National Purchase Diary?

Best to know what your talking about before you post.

best to understand what you're reading before you post. the data released by NPD for consoles is US only. I don't see them tracking worldwide sales anywhere. And plus, NPD was wrong and way off many times compared to official Microsoft numbers. There were a few times that they released their sales data,and Microsoft came out and said they sold double that.

best to understand what you're reading before you post. the data released by NPD for consoles is US only. I don't see them tracking worldwide sales anywhere. And plus, NPD was wrong and way off many times compared to official Microsoft numbers. There were a few times that they released their sales data,and Microsoft came out and said they sold double that.

Ok so everyone's sales figures are wrong, except for this information where you state without giving a source that Microsoft has sold double what others suggested?

Ok so everyone's sales figures are wrong, except for this information where you state without giving a source that Microsoft has sold double what others suggested?

How about you get back on topic...you know the one that you started?

No one, other than you, gives a ###### about sales numbers.

:rolleyes:

Gotta say I lol'd.

Pretty sure the NPD's sales figures in the US are spot on. MS could of been referring to shipped rather than actual purchased. 

We have left the topic I suppose, either way a price drop will happen, that's the nature of things, it's just a matter of when.  IF, and because of the new TV features I think this could happen, MS announces deals with the cable companies to provide the XB1 as a set top box option subsidized to where it's also $399 or it could be even less, say, $299.  Then in that case I don't expect a price drop soon, maybe in holiday 2015 unless Sony starts to cut aggressively.  I doubt it though, I think $399 is cutting it low already to start out for them.

If there is no deal with cable companies for use as set top boxes then I still think we'll see a price cut a year from now, so holiday 2014.  I think it'll come soon not because of weak sales or so on but because the XB1 will also have a broader digital store, not just curated like on the 360.  Expect to see a number of apps, like with Windows Store and Windows Phone Store.   With a revshare model that adds to it on top of the licensing cuts they get from games etc I think they'll be able to make more money back quicker and thus cut the price sooner.

Heck, if everything works out then maybe both of the above happens and we see some very nice deals via your cable provider and also a quick $50 price cut 6 months after it hits retail.

you do realize that sales data by these analytical firms are estimates,not actual sales data? are you going to trust some firm in these other countries without question? they use various methods such as polling, channel checks,etc.. but this doesn't actual reveal real sales data. NPD U.S data for example for December 2012 was off by 100K from official Microsoft numbers. And this is why VGChartz numbers are always way off,and get updated when real sales figures are released. Ever see smartphone estimates,and when real numbers are revealed,alot of times there is a very large discrepancy?

Also I don't think vgchartz has used NPD data since NPD went non-public on their data and you had to buy their data sets. 

The list you used as a source has 6 PlayStation games of which 4 were PS exclusives and 4 Xbox games which only 2 were exclusive.

I agree, both console makers are just after a profit it is why I don't believe in brand loyalty. If its a good product buy ii, if not don't buy it just cause your loyal to the company.

MS does have a bigger net worth than Sony and can afford to throw more money at it, its obvious in the fact that they signed a deal with the NFL for $400 Million to get live stats and media rights or the hundreds of millions of dollars spent in TV show productions and the billion in game development. But even then Sony has confirmed over 100 titles will be coming to the PS4 in the first year of release, which is more than what the Xbox currently has. It makes it look like Sony is tunneling most of its investments into gaming, while Microsoft are spreading it across the board.

So wait, if Sony has said that over 100 titles are coming to the ps4 in the first year, did they clarify if that means retail titles or if it includes psn titles as well? How many are going to be first and third party?

Also, has MS said the total number of games that will be out during the first year to compare. I've seen that 100 title figure before, but I haven't seen it said what will be on the X1.

Honestly, we really don't know the percentages of money being spent on gaming vs non-gaming features. Look at Sony for example. It seems like we are taking their PR statements as evidence of real facts. Do we know how much Sony is investing in media features and their Move system? To me, knowing that MS has deeper pockets makes me think they can get away with more investment in non gaming while still investing in gaming as Sony does.

Either way, we don't know the answers needed to really say definitively. Its all just speculation based on PR.

i found MS move toward 'TV' are unappealing , afterall I did move away from TV shows years ago.

So, if MS insist that xbox one price (or subscribing price) are includes the TV contents I would regard it as MS trying to shove unwanted services to my face.

MS should've at least offers lower prices that exclude all of those 'TV services'.

i found MS move toward 'TV' are unappealing , afterall I did move away from TV shows years ago.

So, if MS insist that xbox one price (or subscribing price) are includes the TV contents I would regard it as MS trying to shove unwanted services to my face.

MS should've at least offers lower prices that exclude all of those 'TV services'.

How is showing the *Bonus* features forcing something on you??? Do you have to use those features to game??? Xbox Live is still there better than ever... the games will be there better than ever... Once you go over $400-$500 for a box... It better do more than game for that kind of money... Unless your rich and money doesn't really matter to you... Your rant sounds like a bandwagon rant...

Those features aren't even forced on you... It's not like you have to use them to game...

Good, Sony aren't offering what MS are offering which supports the price difference. The Kinect is worth nearly the cost of the box on it's own.

Sony are just playing dirty this generation, they're taking cheap stabs at everything.

lol, let's not pretend that Microsoft plays any cleaner here. That would just be silly. :laugh:

Also, I seriously doubt the FPS issue can even be discussed properly when you're looking at different developers with unfinished games, on systems which are likely not even being tapped to their full potential to begin with...

How is showing the *Bonus* features forcing something on you??? Do you have to use those features to game??? Xbox Live is still there better than ever... the games will be there better than ever... Once you go over $400-$500 for a box... It better do more than game for that kind of money... Unless your rich and money doesn't really matter to you... Your rant sounds like a bandwagon rant...

Those features aren't even forced on you... It's not like you have to use them to game...

And your rants are quite honestly copy-paste at this point so I'm not sure I understand why you're being critical of him... :ermm:

---

As for Microsoft, I think they could have done more without the Kinect, but we'll have to see how things pan out for them. At this point, with the cost associated with the Kinect, I cannot see them cutting the price of their system at all.

As for myself, I don't care anymore since I'm getting an Xbone for free. I'll still get me a PS4, but at least I can give it a fair comparison without spending all that money.

lol, let's not pretend that Microsoft plays any cleaner here. That would just be silly. :laugh:

Also, I seriously doubt the FPS issue can even be discussed properly when you're looking at different developers with unfinished games, on systems which are likely not even being tapped to their full potential to begin with...

And your rants are quite honestly copy-paste at this point so I'm not sure I understand why you're being critical of him... :ermm:

---

As for Microsoft, I think they could have done more without the Kinect, but we'll have to see how things pan out for them. At this point, with the cost associated with the Kinect, I cannot see them cutting the price of their system at all.

As for myself, I don't care anymore since I'm getting an Xbone for free. I'll still get me a PS4, but at least I can give it a fair comparison without spending all that money.

If my words are viewed that way, then so be it... Read his rant back, to yourself

Read the rant back... Mark Whitten say that, if a game is made without Kinect being mandatory, don't use it...

If you don't like, tv,tv,tv..sports,sports,sports... You never have to see it... It's doesn't hinder the gaming experience whatsoever...

Kinect may feel forced down some people's throats...I guess if it's mandatory to have it connected to the XB1..then that is being forced on you (though I welcome Kinect). But their rant was based on *Bonus* content... Not a camera...

MS are no saints, or "clear winner".... But they realized that for $500 there better be more in that box than just video games for $500 or there would really upset people... Some say Kinect costed more to make than the box (not so sure about this one)..

MS may of bumbled words... Look like a deer in headlights... But they have a vision... ... Some things are better forced on you, good thing MS forced that broadband only jack on the back of the OG Xbox back in the day.. Or ya just might be seeing a 56K modem on the back of your console still...

Get a job that pays more than minimum wage, and $100 will cease to be an issue.

Funny how people were laughing at PS3 $599 price point and Ken Kutaragis "[PS3 is] for consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else.", but now it's not really an issue because its Microsoft and people should just shut up and not be poor.

Split hairs all you want, when one does it they are the laughing stock of the industry, when the other does it who cares just get a better job.

Split hairs all you want, when one does it they are the laughing stock of the industry, when the other does it who cares just get a better job.

How about you quite making excuses?

Also,your constant whining is no longer cute.

One thing to remember is the when.  That was back in 2006 when people were still used to $299 being the norm for a new console.  Back then, $599 was quite a bit for a glorified, at the time, Blu-ray player.    Flash ahead to 2013 and prices have went up, the market has changed, and the systems can do more than just play disc games.  Having a $400-$500 system now, that you know will be on the market for another 10 years or at least 7 before the next system comes, makes it easier to swallow. 

I thought at that time, the PS3 was one of the cheapest Blu-Ray players available (obviously there were more, but they were not very good if I recall)?  That is one of the reasons I got the PS3.  That is why the PS3 was more expensive, Blu-Ray players alone were very very expensive.  Yet people complained like crazy about the price.

599 is of course 200 more, not 100 more, and at the time the 360 had already been out for a year, and was even lower in price. 

wasn't the cheapest Xbox 360 for $299? so it was $300 more!!

(as a "fanboy" I am going to conveniently ignore the lack of memory card and wireless controllers for convenience. #dealwithit)