Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roosevelt

Drag and Drop Software Builder

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

Are there any good Drag and Drop software builder? I am looking for a solution similar to http://www.smartclient.com/technology/visualbuilder.jsp but something much more easier to setup or use. And opensource license would be a big plus.

Basically, I would design or develop a specific workflow and UI. And the system will take those diagram and convert them to programming language like JAVA, PHP, C#, whatever.

Are there any such solution?

What kind of application are you developing and what platform are you targeting? For a simple forms-over-data application targeting Windows Desktop, Visual Studio Lightswitch is the closest thing I can think of, but it's not exactly just drag and drop. I'm afraid if you're developing anything relatively custom, writing code in text files is still how it's getting done in 2013.

Have you tried Illumination Software Creator? I have never used it since I am fluent in a number of programming languages and typically work much lower level, but I have heard that it works very well. It also passes the open-source test, although the developer would love a donation if you like the software.

1 person likes this

I am going to try tinkering around. The problem is I am on Mac, so I am not sure which Unix/Linux distribution I should be using to compile the Illumination Software Creator o.O!

I am going to try tinkering around. The problem is I am on Mac, so I am not sure which Unix/Linux distribution I should be using to compile the Illumination Software Creator o.O!

Why would you want to compile it? There are builds for Mac available on the download page.

Thanks ASIK. The downloads buttons are grey, so I did not realize they were download links... I was browsing through Github! :P