Powercut, who is liable for damage?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 _BeanZ_

_BeanZ_

Neowinian

• 724 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 13:29

I successfully claimed back for a fridge freezer full of food once but that was after a 3 day outage. As far as i'm aware they're under no obligation to do that as it was caused by an act of god (Hurricane) and it was merely a gesture of good will.

This was UK based btw.

You can claim for an extended outage, or repeated outages:

How long did the power stay off for?

If the power cut is caused by a fault on the network, you may be entitled to a compensation payment if it:

• lasts for longer than 18 hours in normal weather where the power cut affects less than 5000 homes
  • lasts for longer than 24 hours in normal weather where the power cut affects more than 5000 homes
  • lasts for 24-48 hours in severe weather and
  • is the distributor’s fault.

The amount you can get will be based on how long the power was off.

How many power cuts have you had?

If your power goes off more than four times a year, and for more than three hours each time, you may be entitled to a compensation payment. This will apply if the power cuts were the electricity distributor’s fault and it doesn’t matter whether the cuts were planned or not. The amount you can get will be based on how long the power was off for.

http://www.advicegui...ty_goes_off.htm

#32 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• 9,475 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 13:00

Just to add, in 2004 to near 2006 I lived in Wortham, about 3 miles from where I live now.

Electricity outages were the norm.

5 hours at a time, weekly sometimes.

We had two here.

Worst was I was just restoring an image and 48 ish seconds to go and power went off.

I tried phoning the company, southern electric, however their number was in my media drive on my computer, to complain.