• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#46 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,917 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:20

Ah but the beauty is the space / power saved, less constant heat output and you can take it with you if you want to. Mine sits on my desk more often than not these days but it's very useful for these reasons. I did used to use Shuttle XPC's but would still rather have a decent laptop.

Where I work, desktop replacement laptops are on a dramatic rise compared to traditional laptops, even for CAD.

Tis a good point I suppose. Thing is I'd be willing to TRY running a laptop for a while at home but... hmm... my PC at work is due for a major refresh next year and maybe I'd consider taking the laptop route if only as an experiment for how I use computers at home. 

#47 xankazo

xankazo

Neowinian

• 1,359 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:25

Cool story bro.

#48 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,917 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:27

Cool story bro.

You're welcome. 

#49 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,986 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:08

Here we go again...

Just, no.

#50 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 12,145 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:09

*statement withdrawn*

#51 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,106 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:06

The desktop died again?

That's gotta be, what... 4th time this year alone? :p

#52 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,526 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 18:13

To upgrade a desktop PC, you need to merely be savvy with a Philips-head *screwdriver* and have a brain - that has been true since no later than, believe it or not, 1993 - when DOS+Windows 3.1 was still the typical OS loadout on desktops.

The trend toward CSM (meaning either corporate-stable or consumer-stable machines) came about for companies (and consumers) that could care less about upgrading any part of the PC - basically, they saw computers as *throwaway hardware*.  (Note that THAT trend began along with the beginning of the dot-com boom - when times were good economically.)  I bemoaned that trend then, and bemoan it even more today - it is, in fact, one reason I have demurred getting a laptop or even notebook for my personal use.

For me and you---the tech savvy crowd, yes. I thought I made that point already. As I said above, I highly doubt the average person is going to rip open their cases and start tweaking. The brain is what they're missing. :p

#53 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

• 5,761 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 18:17

I don't see desktops going away but I do see them becoming more closed and integrated into a home.

#54 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,228 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 20:09

I don't see desktops going away but I do see them becoming more closed and integrated into a home.

Then it's not really a desktop computer.

The desktop computer as we know it will eventually die. 20 years from now. 50 years from now. 100 years from now. Any bet is as good as mine.

But anyone who think the desktop as we know it will still be around in 2200 is just fooling himself and should come back to earth quickly. We will come to a point eventually where the difference in power between mobile and desktop will be so meaningless that deskotp will be used by a really really tiny portion of the computer users market share.

People who don't think TV will one day be coming with an enough good processing power and wireless text input support to do everyday computer tasks need to remove their horse blinder imo.

#55 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

• 5,761 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 23:41

Then it's not really a desktop computer.

The desktop computer as we know it will eventually die. 20 years from now. 50 years from now. 100 years from now. Any bet is as good as mine.

But anyone who think the desktop as we know it will still be around in 2200 is just fooling himself and should come back to earth quickly. We will come to a point eventually where the difference in power between mobile and desktop will be so meaningless that deskotp will be used by a really really tiny portion of the computer users market share.

People who don't think TV will one day be coming with an enough good processing power and wireless text input support to do everyday computer tasks need to remove their horse blinder imo.

Yeah, it won't be so much a desktop as a home-integrated computer, much like in star trek. Computers will be as much a part of homes as the stove, hot water tank, etc. have been for decades. Of course the downside is that you most likely will not be ordering a shiny, new Core i70 for it off Newegg as you might for a desktop.

#56 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,528 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 23:43

why would PC sales increase when PC specs have kept rising as OS requirements have only gone down since windows vista? It's really up to Microsoft to create an OS so bloated that it warrants a forced upgrade.

#57 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

• 5,761 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:13

why would PC sales increase when PC specs have kept rising as OS requirements have only gone down since windows vista? It's really up to Microsoft to create an OS so bloated that it warrants a forced upgrade.

I'm glad that the OS has gotten lighter as it should use the least amount of resources and make way for programs installed on it.

#58 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,761 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:24

Larger companies, probobly. But then again, BYOD is becoming increasingly popular.

Increasingly annoying to support too.

#59 dvb2000

dvb2000

Neowinian Senior

• 1,502 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:56

Windows 8 is further driving the typical desktop into extinction.
I realize that fact is not well received here at neowin however I encourage anyone who doubts the validity of that claim to simply spend an hour in the pc dept of your local best buy or microcenter and witness this in person, it's all too obvious.

I wonder how many people who buy desktops these days, turn around and install Windows 7 on them anyway - that's what I would do if I bought a new one today. That's what my company does with all new PC's it buys today.

No doubt Microsoft is counting them as Windows 8 sales too, as that's what the OEMs put on it at the factory.

#60 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,106 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:31

No doubt Microsoft is counting them as Windows 8 sales too, as that's what the OEMs put on it at the factory.

Why shouldn't they? It IS a sale.