Even though it's summertime, not everyone is screaming for ice cream.

Specifically, the Long Beach, Calif., City Council, who unanimously voted Tuesday to draft a proposal to silence the city's ice cream trucks this summer.

The new ordinance would require ice cream truck vendors to turn down the volume on their amplified speakers while driving. Additionally, the trucks would be prohibited from playing music entirely while parked at the beach, in a neighborhood, or any other location in the city of Long Beach, Councilman Dee Andrews told ABCNews.com.

While restrictions of this nature may seem ridiculous to some, Andrews said residents of Long Beach are "annoyed" by the music.

"When you get a complaint from your constituents you try to address it. It sounds kind of petty, but I'll try to make it very simple and easy," he said. "Let's try to get along with our neighbors. Just be fair to the city that lets you in."

Andrews said that his office has received about 200 complaints regarding noise pollution produced by the city's ice cream trucks. In response, the city council reached out to more than 60 ice cream trucks that service the community of Long Beach.

Nestor Zea, who has operated an ice cream truck in Long Beach for 20 years, said he has received similar complaints from city residents.

"Some people are old and retired and don't really like the music. Some people are just tired of the music. The problem is there are too many trucks and too many people working these streets," Zea told ABCNews.com.

Despite these complaints, Zea said he was concerned that the new restrictions will adversely affect business.

"It will affect our business for sure because the kids really like the music. I've worked for 20 years in this business. And each year is hard enough to survive," he said. "People don't understand that we pay for licenses, we pay taxes, we need to pay rent, and we have to support our children. I am 60 years old. I have a family to support. No one is going to hire me at my age."

Andrews said he disagreed with Zea's complaint and said the new ordinance "would not negatively affect businesses," and that the more important issue at hand, is how the noise pollution produced by ice cream trucks disproportionately affects low-income communities.

"They aren't selling up in Beverly Hills. Gated communities won't let them in. They thrive off of low income communities," Andrews said. "Everybody's trying to make a living. Let's just work together. Just be a little more considerate of each other. It would behoove them to be a little more courteous of the city's residents. This could be a win-win situation for everybody."

source

we didn't have ice cream trucks in my town in Pennsylvania for as long as I can remember, and in the past year 3 of them popped up out of no where.... and they are freaking loud as heck when they are driving... such crappy music blasted out bullhorn speakers...... ugh

maybe they should just go the same route that Nebraska went I don't even know how long ago

around here the ice cream trucks are known as the "ding ding man" because of the bell that dings on the truck. no music, just the bell. has the same effect as far as the kids are concerned but not nearly as annoying for the adults. it's a win win type of thing

i personally dislike the amplified speaker usages, i only approves its usages for disaster siren warning or dam warning.

its truly maddening when amplified speakers was used for religious activities.

• Like 2

It's bad enuff when they play loud music, but even more annoying when they drive the trucks 5 to 10 times, by your house. :crazy:

And we wonder why kids have no childhood any more....Grumpy adults crying because an ice cream truck plays music... No wonder kids are so "bored" these days, everything gets banned unless it's on their phone or personal. Disgusting. I feel sorry for the next generation, all the fun i had as a kid is now banned behind ridiculous health and safety or cases like these.

• Like 3

And we wonder why kids have no childhood any more....Grumpy adults crying because an ice cream truck plays music... No wonder kids are so "bored" these days, everything gets banned unless it's on their phone or personal. Disgusting. I feel sorry for the next generation, all the fun i had as a kid is now banned behind ridiculous health and safety or cases like these.

that's not completely how it is...... some of these trucks will go up and down the same road multiple times and it does get annoying, even kids get annoyed by it and they are LOUD, every one I'd come across is louder then police sirens.... and that is just pushing it... when I can hear the truck coming from over a mile away, it's to loud

that's not completely how it is...... some of these trucks will go up and down the same road multiple times and it does get annoying, even kids get annoyed by it and they are LOUD, every one I'd come across is louder then police sirens.... and that is just pushing it... when I can hear the truck coming from over a mile away, it's to loud

I know i understand that most areas weren't as "perfect" as where i grew up, we had maximum 2 ice cream trucks a day and no later than 9pm on a light summer day, i just think it's getting brutal now, everything seems to be getting banned outright, where's the compromise? I'm all for rules and regs and if they don't follow it then they should be punished, but i think the way we're going with just slamming the ban hammer on stuff is downhill.

I mean how will kids know the tune for Green sleeves without Mr Whippy? :)

I know i understand that most areas weren't as "perfect" as where i grew up, we had maximum 2 ice cream trucks a day and no later than 9pm on a light summer day, i just think it's getting brutal now, everything seems to be getting banned outright, where's the compromise? I'm all for rules and regs and if they don't follow it then they should be punished, but i think the way we're going with just slamming the ban hammer on stuff is downhill.

I mean how will kids know the tune for Green sleeves without Mr Whippy? :)

if they are going to make any rules it needs to be you can only be so many decibels at x hundreds of feet... not you can hear the truck coming a mile away

Any place I can get MP3s of ice cream truck music? I want to get an album of it and blast it out of my car.

^ You could just record actual ice cream trucks.

http://www.oneringzero.com/songsforicecreamtrucks.com/public/index.html

Track Listings

1. Ice Cream! 2. Where Do Ice Cream Trucks Go In the Winter? 3. The Popsicle parade 4. Before I Drive Away (Redux) 5. Five Up 6. Tones For Cones 7. One For Doran 8. Ice Cream Yo! 9. What¹s Your Favorite Flavor? 10. Chocolate, Vanilla or Swirl? 11. The Moose Track Shake 12. The Sprinkle Twinkle 13. Before I Drive Away

post-37120-0-58144600-1373677789.jpg

i complain about this every single day where I live, i wish they would just pull up to the beginning of the complex and just have the kids to go them rather than drive round the whole complex twice blairing their horrible music. and for us at least they do it twice, once around 5pm and again around 9pm, by then my daughter is already asleep (1.5 years old) and they wake her up almost every day.