Bacon Bacon restaurant, wins the battle

While some believe there is no better smell than sizzling bacon, residents of one neighborhood in San Francisco can't stand the constant aroma coming from a popular eatery dedicated to the cured meat.

A bacon restaurant appropriately named Bacon Bacon in Haight Ashbury is set to reopen. Neighbors' complaints helped shut down the establishment after they were fed up with the bacon smell filling the streets day after day.

Owner Jim Angelus was given permission to reopen Bacon Bacon at a San Francisco City Hall hearing Thursday. His restaurant, which offers a bouquet of bacon strips drizzled with maple syrup, has been closed by the health department since May.

The bacon brouhaha has been sizzling for months between residents who are sick of the smell and those who can't get enough of the bacon cheddar scones or the grilled cheese served with bacon jam.

When Angelus applied for a permit, the neighbors' complained to the city's planning commission about the odor. The complaints stalled the permit process and the health department was forced to close Bacon Bacon until they obtained the proper permit.

Without their bacon fix, fans of the eatery caused their own stink. Hundreds bought t-shirts in support and signed a petition to have their hog heaven reopened. Many fans took their outrage to Bacon Bacon's Facebook page posting, "Power to the pork!" and "Bacon Bacon shall rise again."

"Saturday Night Live" even got in on the neighborhood feud during their "Weekend Update" segment in May.

"It's gotta be really tricky to walk up to a cop and complain that something smells like bacon," actress Amy Poehler joked.

At Thursday's hearing, Angelus agreed to update the ventilation system.

source

Yum bacon :D

You don't have syrup on it that's disgusting, you have them on Burgers :)

Neighbours whine after knowing full well they're living next to a restaurant. Once again one says, "only in America".

Um no, the joint moved into the neighbourhood:

When Angelus applied for a permit, the neighbors' complained to the city's planning commission about the odor. The complaints stalled the permit process and the health department was forced to close Bacon Bacon until they obtained the proper permit.

I wonder if this can't be fixed with a really good filtration system? Sucks for those residents, it would probably drive me nuts as well, all day, every day!

Think about it...

THINK ABOUT IT!

Um no, the joint moved into the neighbourhood:

I wonder if this can't be fixed with a really good filtration system? Sucks for those residents, it would probably drive me nuts as well, all day, every day!

Think about it...

THINK ABOUT IT!

If it were English or Danish bacon, I might enjoy it.

If it were American bacon, I'd burn the place down after 5 minutes. :p

If it were English or Danish bacon, I might enjoy it.

If it were American bacon, I'd burn the place down after 5 minutes. :p

Which kind of "American" bacon? There's several styles.

Which kind of "American" bacon? There's several styles.

To be fair, all I've tried is the vile grease coated shoe leather you get in various restaurants in Florida. I wouldn't feed that filth to a dog.

Yum bacon :D

You don't have syrup on it that's disgusting, you have them on Burgers :)

Nah, you should try it. They have Maple bacon, so why not with syrup on the plate? Best of both worlds! 

And crispy, near burnt bacon is best compared to the leathery, under-cooked stuff!

Neighbours whine after knowing full well they're living next to a restaurant. Once again one says, "only in America".

Not true. Here in my town a newly opened KFC was forced to shut-down a few years back after numerous complaints about the smell. The smell was ridiculous, so it was a completely understandable decision. It reopened later after substantial changes were made to the extraction units.

San Fran is full of crap. they complain about this bacon joint.

A couple years back, they passed an ordnance to cut the amount of water used to flush toilets. that was a real stink! They had such a stench that, the city was forced to flush the sewer system with bleach to get rid of the feces and sewage stuck in the system that stunk the city up.

California is a heaping POS. here's a link on that situation: LINK

seems as though SF is a cesspool of major DERPage

A couple years back, they passed an ordnance to cut the amount of water used to flush toilets. that was a real stink! They had such a stench that, the city was forced to flush the sewer system with bleach to get rid of the feces and sewage stuck in the system that stunk the city up.

California is a heaping POS. here's a link on that situation: LINK

seems as though SF is a cesspool of major DERPage

Was that the reason for that South Park episode where the people in San Fran liked to smell their own farts and pooping out of their mouths? lol!

Pump the poop directly to the vineyards. :p

I live in the SF bay area and hate going into SF itself. It does smell like poo, especially down near the Embarcadero and China Basin. I would like to live next to this place, the only way to cover up the stench of the city.