Police shoot rottweiler in front of owner

The facts of the situation are right there on camera... opinions in court be damned.

Indeed as are many other instances where Rotweillers have killed or maimed innocent children or adult passers by.

Rotweillers are a dangerous breed and they should all be put down.

Indeed as are many other instances where Rotweillers have killed or maimed innocent children or adult passers by.

Blame the owners, not the breed.

Humans are a dangerous breed. Should put all of them down also just because some don't behave. Funny how you claim that dog is dangerous, who backed down when his owner told him to. All you are doing is showing your ignorance to the real world and what makes a dog dangerous. The police officer was antagonizing the dog. How about I antagonize you a bit and then shot you if you dare threaten me in your defense. That is the action you are defending with your comment.

Rotties are a very hostile breed, however, it all depends on the owner. If the owner is a complete idiot as this guy was, that Rottie could have been any breed, and equally as dangerous.

Humans are a dangerous breed. Should put all of them down also just because some don't behave. Funny how you claim that dog is dangerous, who backed down when his owner told him to. All you are doing is showing your ignorance to the real world and what makes a dog dangerous. The police officer was antagonizing the dog. How about I antagonize you a bit and then shot you if you dare threaten me in your defense. That is the action you are defending with your comment.

Please.  He was trying to grab the leash to get the dog under control, not antagonize.   :rolleyes:

Ah... then all us humans deserve nothing less then to burn .. out on the streets, no mercy.. regardless of our sins.

Seriously... I cannot believe that for a minute... all of you looking at this video.. couldn't plainly see the dog.. SNIFFING around the grass before the cop kept intimidating the animal?? 

Rotts dangerous?

Pit bulls dangerous?

Yeah.. do your research .......  the dogs that attack humans the most, are barely even on Youtube. 

That's right.. cocker spaniels are the #1 dogs for attacking and biting humans.. and yet.. here you are.. being that.. "hey...sorry we BRED this dog to attack and be violent, so if it attacks your kid.. don't blame us.. just kill it" mob... well I say.. F  **  K that.

That dog... and the video PROVES it.. wasn't doing a MF'ing thing until that dumbass cop .. being a persistant little prick... acting all tough in front of his comrades like a 12 year old.. kept going and going... just needing that reason to shoot the dog.

Got some advice for you...............   see those pigs in your neighborhood?  Keep your kids and dogs locked up... because if either of them have an opposing opinion?  It's about $6K for a funeral.  ;)

What the ###### did I just watch?  The cops arrest this guy for no apparent ######ing reason (probably because he's black) and then shoot his dog after it tries to defend him, and then they just leave it there to suffer?  And somebody's going to say that the cops are NOT in the wrong here?  Too bad one of those ###### didn't at least get his throat ripped out first.

What the **** did I just watch?  The cops arrest this guy for no apparent ****ing reason (probably because he's black) and then shoot his dog after it tries to defend him, and then they just leave it there to suffer?  And somebody's going to say that the cops are NOT in the wrong here?  Too bad one of those *******s didn't at least get his throat ripped out first.

I never thought it was possible to mention every low side of Neowin in one post, but you have gone and done it.  We have cursing, we have the race card being pulled, and even murderous wishes all in one post.

Well done.

You guys really need to look at the bigger picture here and put on your thinking caps to see what is wrong with this video.  The owner is the reason the dog is dead, plan and simple.  As for why they were cuffing them, think on it some.  I have confidence that you will figure it out.

Nope, you should be put down if you actually think that. Seriously, all breeds are VERY protective of their owner, like they know what an "arrest" is. Secondly okay I can understand all the self defense shooting but at least put it out of it's misery faster not let it die slowly on the sidewalk. MURICA! Cops seem to be brainless thugs, that's it.

You guys really need to look at the bigger picture here and put on your thinking caps to see what is wrong with this video.  The owner is the reason the dog is dead, plan and simple.  As for why they were cuffing them, think on it some.  I have confidence that you will figure it out.

Yeah, it's obvious why the cops are cuffing him; because he was filming them and they didn't like it.

Did the owner make a mistake by not closing his car windows? Sure.  But the cops are the ones who caused the incident by first illegally arresting the dog owner, and then continuing their aggressive stance towards his dog which was doing what ANY breed of dog would do, protect its caregiver.

The entire situation shouldn't have happened but did because of cops deciding that just because they don't like being filmed, they can do what they want.

I never thought it was possible to mention every low side of Neowin in one post, but you have gone and done it.  We have cursing, we have the race card being pulled, and even murderous wishes all in one post.

Really?  Cursing and "the race card" are the low side of Neowin?  And here I thought it was the trolls.  Obviously you don't have much experience with police in the USA; speculating that they were harassing the man because they were racist isn't much of a stretch.  But hell, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt: perhaps they're just douchebags to everybody equally.

So, police illegally arrest a guy for quite legally filming them, his dog tries to protect its master, and they kill it without even giving the guy a chance to control it.

Not only that, but they also leave it to writhe in agony as it dies.

I hope they're fired.

All this.

Fair play, the dog went for them.  Unarrest the guy?  Get real.

He was not "under arrest", he was "detained".

tl;dr'ed the thead.

The way that was handled was pathetic. I can understand why the cop shot the dog, but they made that situation by failing to handle it correctly.

My money is on the guy to sue the pants off the police department, and I hope he wins :\

I just can't believe the number of comments on youtube saying the police are in the wrong. If I am armed and an owner losses control of his ROTTWEILER and it gets aggressive JUMPS at me! I'm going to shoot it. You do not want to **** around with a rottweiler.

All of those people saying the cops are in the wrong and how they are evil and blah blah blah, I want to put them in a room with a ****ed off rottweiler and shut the door.

That's disgusting, I'm outraged by what those police did there, they could have gotten that dog under control, it wasn't even showing aggression to them at first and they left it in pain on the floor watching it too. It was only feeling that it's owner was in danger and they could have controlled the dog by allowing the owner to intervene.

It's sad that the dog got shot but it looks like the guy who was arrested was looking for trouble, you can see it in the body language. If anything the owner of the dog was careless to assess the situation and failed to put the dog properly out of harms way.

Also, the guy has a criminal record and a lawsuit against police? Seems to me that adds up to looking for trouble to me.

BTW, I don't ever have a need to film police whenever they are around taking care of a situation :s

It's sad that the dog got shot but it looks like the guy who was arrested was looking for trouble, you can see it in the body language. If anything the owner of the dog was careless to assess the situation and failed to put the dog properly out of harms way.

Also, the guy has a criminal record and a lawsuit against police? Seems to me that adds up to looking for trouble to me.

BTW, I don't ever have a need to film police whenever they are around taking care of a situation :s

It really doesn't matter. The police officers were performing on official duty and as such can and should be filmed, under the protection of the first amendment of the constitution of that country. They illegally detained him, as he was doing nothing illegal. The dog would had been alive had the police not ######ed up.

This sort of thing happens all the time, it sucks.If they were going to shoot the dog at-least put it out of its misery..

I completely agree how the situation was handled.

No idea why or what the guy was filming (why film it, just watch it doesnt look like something amazing or once-in-a-lifetime is about to happen) and he was detained (not arrested; detained). He was a ######ing moron to leave his window open for a dog to escape. If he would have gone to a store and done the same thing, the dog could have jumped out anyways and attacked someone.

In several countries, the Rottweiler breed, are required by law to wear a muzzle whenever in public property. For example: If he had a muzzle on in this case, the police would have never shot him as it would have been a lot easier to get the leash without serious harm.

The fault is the owner, plain and simple. Anyone who does not understand that is either antipolice or loves dogs a bit too much.

The comments on this thread are the DUMBEST BS comments I have ever seen on Neowin...

Paragraphs, learn them!

The entire situation shouldn't have happened but did because of cops deciding that just because they don't like being filmed, they can do what they want.

Police:- to enforce be above the law

The way the US service system works, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy gets a promotion for bravery.

Perhaps it would of been a more fair situation if the dog was armed, after all it's the dogs constitutional right to have a firearm.

So, police illegally arrest a guy for quite legally filming them, his dog tries to protect its master, and they kill it without even giving the guy a chance to control it.

Not only that, but they also leave it to writhe in agony as it dies.

I hope they're fired.

Someone speaking sense on here at last

Yeah, it's obvious why the cops are cuffing him; because he was filming them and they didn't like it.

Did the owner make a mistake by not closing his car windows? Sure.  But the cops are the ones who caused the incident by first illegally arresting the dog owner, and then continuing their aggressive stance towards his dog which was doing what ANY breed of dog would do, protect its caregiver.

He was detained for blaring music.  Do you not understand how that can disrupt communications? 

He went to his car when they approached.  That is a cause for a alarm.  They didn't even have a chance to search him before the dog jumped out.  

He was detained for blaring music.  Do you not understand how that can disrupt communications? 

He went to his car when they approached.  That is a cause for a alarm.  They didn't even have a chance to search him before the dog jumped out.

There's no way that music was at a volume that was disruptive to anyone, let alone a police operation. It's blatantly obvious they busted him for filming. It's also a pretty common occurrence in the US, too.

It really doesn't matter. The police officers were performing on official duty and as such can and should be filmed, under the protection of the first amendment of the constitution of that country. They illegally detained him, as he was doing nothing illegal. The dog would had been alive had the police not ****ed up.

Blaring music can disrupt communications: Fact

The police officers approached him and he went to his car: Fact

The moron didn't even roll up his windows or tether his dog: Fact

The owner went up to police and turned around to be cuffed: Fact

Could this have gone better for everyone? Yes.

The owner should have lowered or turned off his music while recording just outside a crime scene.

The owner should have tethered his dog.

The police should noticed the window was down and alerted the owner.

The police should have put the dog out of its misery.

The owner was trying to make himself a victim (probably not a martyr, I doubt he wanted to die).  Everything he did,from blaring his music, to going to his car while police are approaching, to surrendering himself immediately makes that apparent. Interviews with him show he was trying to find civil rights violations with police.  He has a criminal record.  He has a lawsuit with the police.  By the way, does anyone know what that lawsuit is for?  I couldn't find any info on it.

Probably the worst mistake he made was going to his car while they approached.  We can see it was just to put his dog in.  They could NOT from their POV.

If you get stopped for speeding here, the quickest way to cause suspicion is to reach behind your seat or get out of your car while they are approaching. 

Not sure why people in this thread fail to see this.

There's no way that music was at a volume that was disruptive to anyone, let alone a police operation. It's blatantly obvious they busted him for filming. It's also a pretty common occurrence in the US, too.

I'm sorry, I missed the part where you were there to know for sure.

Police radios aren't as loud as blaring stereos, LOL.