• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:46

Just an update on the DRM restrictions, Sony have recently announced that the PS4 will be able to play your games without disc on any console.

One of the major complaints about the DRM backflip was you have to now change out discs to play different games if you wanted a physical copy in your bookshelf, PS4 has managed to fix this without restrictive DRM policies.

Another was sharing games with a family member who is overseas or interstate.. They can now login to your account on their PS4's and play your games.

I think this is very smart business wise cause now hotels, motels, holiday destinations will possibly purchase PS4's for their hotel patrons who can play their games from anywhere in the world.
I have seen many posts about people saying when your on a work trip your not going to play a console, these people obviously have never worked for a company which requires them to travel.

You dont always go to great holiday destinations with awesome weather where you want to be outside 24/7, You can't always spends hundreds or even thousands of dollars to visit local places of interest and enjoy the destination.
Sometimes you just want to relax and play a game.. There are many reasons, its why hotels have cable tv.

But if you travel a lot your not likely to pack a console into your baggage, but with this option it made the PS4 much more customer friendly for those who travel and have access to internet at the locations they travel.

All the huffing and puffing from people about the DRM and PS4 already had something just as good without the DRM restrictions.. Feel free to try explain how awesome it was going to be now, :)

They're limited to digital copies only, the Xbox One was going to allow you to share everything regardless of how you got it.  They're not close really.  Now with the disc changes the Xbox One will also limit it to digital versions only as well from all the reports people have been posting.

I like how the video tries to make it sound like it's the same level of sharing when it's not since you're not sharing any of the games you got via a physical disc, you also have to login to their console with your own account.  That's not how it was going to be on the Xbox One, they could use their own account and access your games. No sharing of account info, and why would I share my account info with someone, even my friend?  Specially when at the end of the video they say it's only one system at a time so your friend can just login and kick you out if they wanted to be a dick.    That's another thing the Xbox One was going to do different, since each friend was using their own account while it was going to be limited on how many friends played your games at one time you were never limited and could never be "locked out" of playing a game you were also sharing.

But hey, for those who still don't seem to know the details of what the XB1 was going to do then the video does try to make it sound like what the PS4 will allow is the same thing, when it's not at all. 

#17 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:50

They're limited to digital copies only, the Xbox One was going to allow you to share everything regardless of how you got it.  They're not close really.  Now with the disc changes the Xbox One will also limit it to digital versions only as well from all the reports people have been posting.

I like how the video tries to make it sound like it's the same level of sharing when it's not since you're not sharing any of the games you got via a physical disc.  Nice try though, I guess.

They never said it was digital copies only, post sources if you have any.

#18 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:54

They never said it was digital copies only, post sources if you have any.

The video you posted yourself?  Or did you not watch it?  THey said, in the video, that you yourself posted.  That the way it works is that you can login to your account on a friends system and have access to the games you previously downloaded.   Feel free to watch the video, you posted, over again.  They also have other limits in place to that the XB1 had taken account of.

#19 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

Posted 14 July 2013 - 13:07

The video you posted yourself?  Or did you not watch it?  THey said, in the video, that you yourself posted.  That the way it works is that you can login to your account on a friends system and have access to the games you previously downloaded.   Feel free to watch the video, you posted, over again.  They also have other limits in place to that the XB1 had taken account of.

He does say share downloaded games but never says it limited to digital downloads only.

Like I said, post any sources you have to suggest otherwise.

#20 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 July 2013 - 13:35

He does say share downloaded games but never says it limited to digital downloads only.

Like I said, post any sources you have to suggest otherwise.

There's a whole post about this in the Sony section that you still want to deny?

http://www.officialp...nyones-console/

It says your "digital library"  that means games you've digitally bought/downloaded.   It's got nothing to do with disc games, any game you have gotten as a disc you can't access, you'll have to have the disc with you.  That's not how the XB1 was going to do it, with the XB1 each game, either downloaded or install from a disc would have been treated the same and you could access them in your library the same way.   You also didn't have to login to your account for a friend to play the game.   This isn't "sharing" it's just allowing you to access the content you already own digitally on a different device.  You have to use your account, my friend can't use his own account or get credit for playing the game.  It's hardly sharing at all, it's something else.

I don't know what more proof you need, the wording is clear.

#21 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

Posted 14 July 2013 - 14:04

You also didn't have to login to your account for a friend to play the game.   This isn't "sharing" it's just allowing you to access the content you already own digitally on a different device.  You have to use your account, my friend can't use his own account or get credit for playing the game.  It's hardly sharing at all, it's something else.

You could give you friend your login details and he can play the games in your game library, it allows you to share games with a family or friend in another place in the world that was one of the main arguments against the DRM backflip. Sure they're achievements wont show up on their account and would be credited to yours but I think people would rather just play the game then earn achievements.

#22 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 14 July 2013 - 14:15

that ps4 feature is last gen and is not even close to family sharing.

#23 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 July 2013 - 14:32

It really isn't it's an evolution of the PS3 way of sharing, on PS3 as long as the account exists on the console it is authorised to play content from that account.

With PS4 you can set a "home" PS4 and you can authorise other machines to play the content.

#24 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 July 2013 - 14:38

You could give you friend your login details and he can play the games in your game library, it allows you to share games with a family or friend in another place in the world that was one of the main arguments against the DRM backflip. Sure they're achievements wont show up on their account and would be credited to yours but I think people would rather just play the game then earn achievements.

It says that it's limited to one console at the time, so as I pointed out, if you're logged into your account on a friends system then you can't login to that account on another one.   Sure if you trust your friends enough and want to give them your PSN login info then go ahead, but that's hardly ideal and not really sharing. 

#25 Ultravires

Ultravires

Neowinian

Posted 14 July 2013 - 15:43

With Sony's approach sharing the profiles is possible, thought it could create security issues and i believe sharing profile's is something Sony, MS or any other of these type of services are frowned upon and violate their TOS, which could be bannable. Also, what would happen if you got into an argument/fight with your friend/family and they changed the password on you? You would really need to trust this friend/family member to share this info, a lot of people usually use the same email, that is tied to other services, whether it be banking, facebook, google+, same acct on smart phone, etc (Which isn't really the smart thing to do). Also from a marketing perspective, it wouldn't be as effective, since the data mined would be from multiple sources, where as with the X1, players would more likely have their own personal profile, since they could just still share their titles without having to share a profile.

#26 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 14 July 2013 - 18:50

Do people really think that family sharing is going to be unrestricted?

Do you guys know what would happen if this feature is what you want it to be?  No more single player.  Or single player that only takes one hour to beat.  Or single player that get 5% of the usual budget.  Thanks.  I do not care one bit about multi-player gaming.  So if companies lose out of more sales because of this family sharing feature, you bet they will not focus on single player.

I am not a cheapo, but hell yes if I can go 50/50 with a friend (or divide it with several friends) and play single player at the same time (or scheduling if multiple friends participated).  Well they would lose out of $60 because I would have purchased it myself if that feature did not exist.

Family sharing wasn't fully detailed (I think even MS didn't know what it was) but what you posted about 1hr limit is a load of bullcrap. That is based on a rumor and that rumor said family sharing was just demos. That doesn't make any sense at all (even if we ignore all MS execs saying that it wasn't demos).

Just an update on the DRM restrictions, Sony have recently announced that the PS4 will be able to play your games without disc on any console.

One of the major complaints about the DRM backflip was you have to now change out discs to play different games if you wanted a physical copy in your bookshelf, PS4 has managed to fix this without restrictive DRM policies.

Another was sharing games with a family member who is overseas or interstate.. They can now login to your account on their PS4's and play your games.

I think this is very smart business wise cause now hotels, motels, holiday destinations will possibly purchase PS4's for their hotel patrons who can play their games from anywhere in the world.
I have seen many posts about people saying when your on a work trip your not going to play a console, these people obviously have never worked for a company which requires them to travel.

You dont always go to great holiday destinations with awesome weather where you want to be outside 24/7, You can't always spends hundreds or even thousands of dollars to visit local places of interest and enjoy the destination.
Sometimes you just want to relax and play a game.. There are many reasons, its why hotels have cable tv.

But if you travel a lot your not likely to pack a console into your baggage, but with this option it made the PS4 much more customer friendly for those who travel and have access to internet at the locations they travel.

All the huffing and puffing from people about the DRM and PS4 already had something just as good without the DRM restrictions.. Feel free to try explain how awesome it was going to be now, :)

The PS4 sharing isn't new. You can do it today on Xbox 360 (and PS3 but I am not a PS3 user to know for sure) and you will be able to do it on Xbox One. It is only applicable to digital downloads.

#27 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 14 July 2013 - 19:25

It really isn't it's an evolution of the PS3 way of sharing, on PS3 as long as the account exists on the console it is authorised to play content from that account.

With PS4 you can set a "home" PS4 and you can authorise other machines to play the content.

its the same exact thing you can already do on ps3 and xbox360. you have to log in on the other console,and then you can access and download the games. its comical how some people like that moron in that video have no clue what xbox one family sharing really was.

#28 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 July 2013 - 19:29

I think it's comical how some "morons" think Microsoft was going to allow people to share the latest blockbusters with 10 people and one person at a time could play it to completion without having paid $50-60.

The whole point of their "DRM" was to try to stop people lending, renting and buying used games. Something which the Family Sharing was conflicting with.

#29 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 14 July 2013 - 19:48

I think it's comical how some "morons" think Microsoft was going to allow people to share the latest blockbusters with 10 people and one person at a time could play it to completion without having paid $50-60.

The whole point of their "DRM" was to try to stop people lending, renting and buying used games. Something which the Family Sharing was conflicting with.

think? what is there to think? it was detailed exactly like that on the xbox.com website,and confirmed multiple times by Microsoft executives.

And how can the whole point of DRM be any of those things you listed,when you could have still lent games (family sharing), sell used games, buy used games(and maybe renting was coming sometime after launch)?

this is exactly why so much BS was spread around,because people like you decided to close their eyes and ears,and speak about things they have absolutely no idea about how they work.

• Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release. Discs will continue to be a great way to install your games quickly.
  • Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required: After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.
  • Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console–regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.
  • Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
  • Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.
  • Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

#30 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 14 July 2013 - 21:09

I think it's comical how some people think Sony was going to give free games to people without having paid $50-60...oh wait.

It was obvious it was going to be Xbox Live Gold feature. There was a cost involved.