Photo

Huawei Ascend W1 - Windows Phone 8

windows phone 8 huawei phone

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 21,068 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 21 July 2013 - 18:43

Wholly beg to differ.  A friend of mine has a Win Phone 8 - some Nokia piece of crap.  I wanted to have a look, and it lagged like no phone I had ever seen.

I have a Lumia 520, the weakest Lumia, and it's very smooth. Pretty good for a piece of crap, huh?

So I'll take my direct experience and the word of EVERY REVIEWER (Seriously, look around, no reviewer complains about 520's fluidity) over your 'my friend has one' experience.

Most probably there was something wrong with her hardware or it was a knock off or it was a low end Android with a Lumia launcher. There are some very convincing ones today.

#17 MeowPurr

MeowPurr

Neowinian

• 208 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 21 July 2013 - 20:28

Most likely a Metro launcher for Android. There's no lag in Windows Phone. (I have used both OSs extensively, I know what I'm talking about)

#18 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,385 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 21:00

this is probably what he used

4QI76LW.jpg

#19 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,391 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 23:27

Can people here not read, or just choose not to?  Everyone alleging that I've never actually used a Windows Phone device?  Everyone can claim all they want that I'm some form of troll simply because I say 1 phone was awkward to use, it just makes you come across as really defensive?

Gloss over the parts where I say I'm a fan of the OS in general, been using Windows Mobile, Pocket PC and so on since about 2000.  Oh no he's a troll because he has had one bad experience with one of the Windows Phone devices he has used.  Yeah that makes perfect sense and doesn't suggest an image of zealots at all...

#20 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,385 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:14

You're either trolling or the device your friend has is a lemon.

a lemon as in a lemon or lemon as in the one a few posts up :laugh:

#21 mikesingh

mikesingh

Neowinian

• 109 posts
  • Phone: Sprint Samsung ATIV S Neo

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:18

a lemon as in a lemon or lemon as in the one a few posts up :laugh:

I never even knew that existed! That monstrosity reminds me of the old HTC Touch Pro! I was thinking more in terms of a lemon lemon.. a Nokia with some serious issues.

WHY DOES THAT LEMONPHONE EXIST?! UGH -_- ...and I'm sure that watch you get is a true blue 'Reebok'.

#22 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• 8,540 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:39

My old Nokia Lumia 710 used to slow down significantly right after playing some games and browsing some heavier web sites.

WP7.5 improved it and WP 7.8 pretty much fixed it.

#23 OP Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,995 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:02

WP8 lags under the following circumstances: you've filled the storage to such an extent that you have literally a few hundred MB (or less) left. Then it starts to display more issues. That would be the same on any OS on any device. Same for your PC. Try running your home computer when you have the hard disk basically full.

As for me...coming up to 2 weeks with the device. Enjoying it a lot. Purposefully not filled it with crap. Having the less storage actually makes me consider each app for quality and usefulness. If I install one and don't like it...instant uninstall. I imagine with extra storage people would tend to just leave junk apps they never really use. Keeping everything to a minimum helps keep it all speedy and smooth too. After a few charge cycles and working out my usage, I comfortably get about 60 hours on a charge which is such a plus for me. One thing that truly irritated me about smart phones was the crappy battery life. Seen a fair share of iPhone users talking about getting 24 hours as if it was some sort of witchcraft...lol. As mentioned in my original review I had a "feature phone" right up to 2012 and it would last up to a week. To get a budget device that excels in this department is nice.

As another comment mentioned, Huawei have basically turned this into the WP8 hackers phone of choice as apparently it's totally open for modification and loader changes. Not investigated that yet.

#24 huaweiw1

huaweiw1

Neowinian

• 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:35

Hello for the first time, i wona now is it possible to have FM radio on W1?

#25 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,384 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:40

Hello for the first time, i wona now is it possible to have FM radio on W1?

FM Radio as far as I know will be added with the GDR2 update that is rolling out between now and the end of the year on different manufacturers and carriers.

More info http://www.neowin.ne...-gdr2-right-now

#26 huaweiw1

huaweiw1

Neowinian

• 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:22

so that means that it wont be for huawei?

#27 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,384 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:23

Yes, that will get GDR2 as well It's the next update for Windows Phone 8.

#28 huaweiw1

huaweiw1

Neowinian

• 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:49

thanx, will wait and see :D