Photo

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 July 2013 - 19:10

While a couple dollars doesn't seem like much, you need to keep in mind that Microsoft will be selling millions of Xbox Ones over the span of it's lifetime. Pachter estimates that it will be somewhere between $150 and $250 million. "Not enough to actually move the needle, but it will help their profitability," he commented.

examiner

#2 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

Posted 15 July 2013 - 19:12

Sony earning $3 per Xbox One? Wow, Sony is definitely the winner this generation :D

#3 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 15 July 2013 - 19:14

?

#4 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 15 July 2013 - 19:16

not getting it, does microsoft have to pay royalties to sony for each xbox? or is there sony hardware in the xbox? This thread needs clarification :p

edit: ok, bluray license. I wonder how much sony pays microsoft for things like fat support

#5 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 15 July 2013 - 19:18

Not a bad one-time cost (which the end user is paying) for the bump from DVD9.

#6 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 15 July 2013 - 21:03

So the only thing we know at this point is that MS is not making 2-3 dollars per xbox one sold. 

#7 SikSlayer

SikSlayer

Neowinian

Posted 15 July 2013 - 21:25

The problem with Patcher's statement is that the $3 goes to the Blu Ray Disc Association, not Sony itself. Now, obviously, Sony is a charter member of the BDA, but its not the only one. Pionner is as important to the Blu Ray technology as Sony is, maybe even more important, as it was their DVR Blue that was the core of what became Blu Ray. I don't want to make any guesses at how much Sony would get when all is said and done, so I would assume its a sizable chunk, but far less than $3.

#8 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 15 July 2013 - 21:57

OP really should have posted more or all of the article so we could understand wtf it was about.

edit: ok, bluray license. I wonder how much sony pays microsoft for things like fat support

On December 3, 2003 Microsoft announced[81] it would be offering licenses for use of its FAT specification and "associated intellectual property", at the cost of a US$0.25 royalty per unit sold, with a $250,000 maximum royalty per license agreement.

So, ###### all?

Not a bad one-time cost (which the end user is paying) for the bump from DVD9.

DVD9 would never have been possible for what MS wants to X1 to be. I remember the topic I made agessss ago asking about blu-ray in the next xbox and some people were adamant it wouldn't have one. Many lulz were had.

#9 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 15 July 2013 - 22:01

Microsoft still doesn't really owe Sony any money.... 

Any phone running Android, the manufacture has to cough up $5 - $8 to MS for licensing rights

Sony now has to pay royalties on Android to MS...

Seems Microsoft was holding this card close to the chest... Because it never forced Sony to pay any royalty fees prior to 3months ago... 

Blu-Ray License fee & Android Fee seem to be a wash (well I think Microsoft still makes a few dollars though...)

http://www.digitaltr...ense-microsoft/

#10 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 15 July 2013 - 22:02

Only reason a normal every day part of business like this would even make any headline news is, fanboys.

#11 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 15 July 2013 - 23:17

DVD9 would never have been possible for what MS wants to X1 to be. I remember the topic I made agessss ago asking about blu-ray in the next xbox and some people were adamant it wouldn't have one. Many lulz were had.

I think it was pretty much a no-brainer when devs say they're reducing texture quality to fit a game on DVD and when the hottest topic is whether or not it's a big inconvenience to swap DVDs when playing or on install. But you know, hardcore supporters won't admit a weakness in their chosen platform until it is shored up ;>

#12 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3110

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:53

Any phone running Android, the manufacture has to cough up $5 - $8 to MS for licensing rights

Sony now has to pay royalties on Android to MS...

Seems Microsoft was holding this card close to the chest... Because it never forced Sony to pay any royalty fees prior to 3months ago... 

Microsoft doesn't own or make Android, Google does.

The royalties that are being payed to Microsoft relate to a patent owned by Microsoft which is used in the Android OS. I highly doubt it would cost 5-8 dollars per phone.

With that being said the PS4 doesn't even use android, its a stand-alone PS OS. I'm sure it would pay royalties for other factors considering its based on PC architecture and Microsoft has long standing roots in that field though.

#13 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:26

Microsoft doesn't own or make Android, Google does.

The royalties that are being payed to Microsoft relate to a patent owned by Microsoft which is used in the Android OS. I highly doubt it would cost 5-8 dollars per phone.

With that being said the PS4 doesn't even use android, its a stand-alone PS OS. I'm sure it would pay royalties for other factors considering its based on PC architecture and Microsoft has long standing roots in that field though.

Sony sells a lot more android phones than the total game console market sells game consoles. android licenses are much higher, android royalty licenses go directly to MS' bank account, unlike the BluRay Association royalties that do not go to Sony but to the BDA.

so you kind of misses his point. and yes, it does cost that much for the android royalties, in fact some manufacturers have to pay over $10, I believe HTC is the only one that got a deal as low as $5. 

#14 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:42

MS isn't part of the BluRay group, but don't they get royalties for the use of VC1? A lot of BluRay discs use VC1 as opposed to MP4 or MPG2. I think even Sony uses it on releases. I don't know if it amounts to 2-$3, but its something.

#15 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3110

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:56

MS isn't part of the BluRay group, but don't they get royalties for the use of VC1? A lot of BluRay discs use VC1 as opposed to MP4 or MPG2. I think even Sony uses it on releases. I don't know if it amounts to 2-$3, but its something.

Sony earns more from the VC1 than Microsoft, Microsoft only owns 2 patents of the 125 involved with the VC1 shell. 

http://www.theregist...codec_analysis/

Also H.264 seems the norm now and same as the VC1 it has multiple patent holders, including Sony and Microsoft.