RadioShack redesigns stores

RadioShack, long the poor dowdy cousin of the electronics retail business, is sprucing up its image with a new logo and redesigned stores.

The new brand marque ditches the 1990s-style serif font in favor of a cleaner sans-serif font on the red encircled "R."

And the stores will take on more curved shelf space and a clean, white background look.

The aim appears to be to solve the "problem" with the store: Consumers know RadioShack is cheap and will probably stock the little gadget they need, but you'll probably have to dig around  to find it.

It's somewhat reminiscent of what JCPenney is doing, which of course was inspired by the Apple and Target retail experiences.

more & pics

post-37120-0-74272600-1373933694.jpg

post-37120-0-40840400-1373933906.gif

Consumers know RadioShack is cheap and will probably stock the little gadget they need, but you'll probably have to dig around  to find it.

what kind of kool-aid are they drinking?

• Like 2

I like the old radioshack better.... you know the HOBBIEST store.....

I could go in and have isles of electronic components, kits I could built, robot kits, electronic books....... ugh the old days

Whereas now, you can nip in, and they have a CHANCE of having that Phono - 3.5mm cable you need in stock.  But you're gonna pay twice as much as you should!

I could go in and have isles of electronic components, kits I could built, robot kits, electronic books....... ugh the old days

I miss the 80s :(

and console tvs

• Like 1

Whereas now, you can nip in, and they have a CHANCE of having that Phono - 3.5mm cable you need in stock.  But you're gonna pay twice as much as you should!

And I did the other day, it was about $20.  :s

I was looking for a quality soldering iron the other day too and Radio Shack has an absolutely terrible selection, at least they did in that store. It's a shame what it's turned in to. I'm almost surprised they are still open at all with the way they are running it now.

the only thing our local radio shack sells now is Cell phones and batteries..... a MAJOR down turn from the old one we had which sold tons of electronic parts, hobby kits, phones, TV's, computers, RC toys, etc.....

RadioShack is far from a bargain, they were charging like $40 for a DVI cable. I bought something at one of their stores and tried returning it to another store with receipt and they refused to accept it and gave a gift card instead.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the markups at Radio Shack were noncompetitive.  The Radio Shack stores around my area are usually devoid of customers.  It won't be long before this chain crumbles under capitalistic pressures.

My father owned a company that imported and wholesale distributed cables, speakers, amps, loads of that.  Maplin / RadioShack / Tandy bought from his company Altai / Soundlab.  He went mental when I bought a cable there quickly.  What they sold for ?12 (back in the 90s) he sold them for 14p!

Who remember Tandy computers ;)

Ah Tandy, use to have one of them a TRS-1000  I think it was? Tandy owned RadioShack... some people think radioshack owned tandy, but it was the other way around... they were around until what? 1999 or 2000?

Edit: nope I was wrong, it was the Tandy 1000 RLX I had... the old 286 system

had a non-standard BIOS, which also had an in-memory OS called "Deskmate" ugh

my first computer was the tandy 1000 with printer

loved the fact I could by ink for $9

wish I could still use the printer with modern pc. ink lasted long with it then my modern printer.

even had program similar to windows.on 4 big floppys, deskmate

• Like 1

too bad Radioshack went from a components store to a cross carrier cell phone store and accessories, with a little bit of strange batteries and remote control cars.