• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 16 July 2013 - 13:41

I am repairing an old Compaq Presario 5000 for a friend. It has a Celeron CPU, 1GB RAM, 32GB HDD, 2 optical drives, Some old graphic card.

What he wants is for me to set it to factory settings, a clean Windows XP Professional install. BUT, he has no installation disk. And by the looks of it, he previously had 98 and ME on there. So, it could be from an update. I tried pressing F9 and F10 on startup, but it seems to do nothing.

Now, his 32GB HDD has 400MB of free space left. I can put in a larger HDD, but the thing is, I have no XP keys. And there is not one on the case. Only a ME key. I could probably haxor it, but I don't want to get in trouble.

There a way to do this? If not, I'm afraid I just have to say that there is nothing I can do about this ancient doorstop. If there's anything I left out, please tell me.

#2 Tomo

Tomo

IT Engineer

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Posted 16 July 2013 - 13:43

If the original installation is on there then you could try Magical Jellybean to recover the XP key

http://www.magicalje....com/keyfinder/

#3 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 16 July 2013 - 13:43

Well if you can boot off a bartpe disc and if XP is still on there but won't boot you can grab the software registry key hives from c:\windows\system32\config and use a keyfinder on the hive to find the key. Then use that to install from a retail xp disk.

Lets just hope the product key doesn't start with FCK :D ... I think that was the product key from way back when Microsoft blocked in SP2

#4 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2013 - 13:47

XP will boot, but only very slowly. I'll try the Jellybean trick.

#5 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2013 - 14:28

OK, I got the product number, installing XP on a new 40GB drive I have spare. Fingers crossed! :D

Edit: I had old XP disks, just no serial to go with them. You know, sedimential reasons.

#6 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:01

I tried the XP Key on it, says its wrong. :/

I do not remember if this was a retail or OEM. Jellybean says 'Full Packaged Product'. So obviously it wasn't an upgrade. But, that's all it said, besides the product key, CD Key, and part number.

#7 DJGM

DJGM

Mancunian

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:22

As far as hardware goes on that old system, I strongly recommend a CPU upgrade to a compatible Pentium 4.

The Celeron range of CPU's have always been, and shall always be ... total and utter, dreadful, terrible crap.

It's worth upping the RAM to 2-3GB (if at all possible). Also, seeing as Windows XP support ends next April,

a fresh installation of Windows 7 would be a far better option in the long run. A larger hard drive would

be a good idea too ... at least 80GB or as big a hard drive as the system mainboard can support.

#8 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:29

As far as hardware goes on that old system, I strongly recommend a CPU upgrade to a compatible Pentium 4.

The Celeron range of CPU's have always been, and shall always be ... total and utter, dreadful, terrible crap.

It's worth upping the RAM to 2-3GB (if at all possible). Also, seeing as Windows XP support ends next April,

a fresh installation of Windows 7 would be a far better option in the long run. A larger hard drive would

be a good idea too ... at least 80GB or as big a hard drive as the system mainboard can support.

At that point, might as well as just drop cash for a new laptop. Chances are that ancient graphics chip wouldn't support Windows 7.

#9 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:37

Yea, he just wants to use it for his grandkids to play on. I added 512 more RAM, and my used 40GB HDD that I had sitting on the shelf. Really don't want to waste any more money on it. He got it for free from a good friend. All I want to do is get it running good again.

Please just help me get XP on it, activated and everything. The thing is mostly junk anyway.

#10 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:41

^ Buy a used XP CD cheap, on the internet.

#11 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 61

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:46

You're just using the wrong media. It could be upgrade or full (both are fully packaged products).

#12 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:51

I tried the XP Key on it, says its wrong. :/

I do not remember if this was a retail or OEM. Jellybean says 'Full Packaged Product'. So obviously it wasn't an upgrade. But, that's all it said, besides the product key, CD Key, and part number.

It sounds like you might have used an OEM disc for a retail key, or vice-versa. I'm not very familiar with Jellybean Key Finder so I'm not exactly sure if "Full Packaged Product" means the installation was not an upgrade, but that seems like a logical interpretation. Fortunately Microsoft produced an override tool of sorts years ago: the Windows Product Key Update Tool for Windows XP. This utility completely ignores they type of installation disc (OEM, Retail, Corporate) you used and even the installation type (Full Install, Upgrade). The only thing it cannot ignore is the wrong edition of Windows. (I.E. It will not let you install a Windows XP Home Edition key on Windows XP Professional or vice-versa.)

To use the Windows Product Key Update Tool, install Windows XP Professional from an OEM disc provided by Dell, HP, or any other major manufacturer. These restore discs have a product key already integrated so you will not be prompted during the installation. That said, their integrated product key obviously does not give you license to use Windows XP on the computer and will not activate. Once Windows is fully installed use the Windows Product Key Update Tool to change the product key to the one you recovered using Jellybean Key Finder. After reboot run the Windows Activation Wizard, which Windows XP should be prompting you to do anyway. If everything went well, Windows will activate at that point.

Another thing you might want to check before wiping out the old Windows XP installation is the PID associated with the product key reported by Jellybean Key Finder. It will be in the form XXXXXX-???-XXXXXX-XXXXX. If the second set of numbers starts with a 6, such as -640- or -641-, then the product key is for a volume license installation of Windows XP Professional and is probably pirated. A corporate key will not work with the Windows Product Key Update Tool, nor should you attempt it.

#13 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:57

Hum, what part of "Really don't want to waste any more money on it" don't you get?

Yeah, Neobond, that's what I'm thinking.

I'll try that, Orange. It did say it's a Professional version.

#14 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2013 - 17:06

The product key entered is not a valid key for this system. Please check it for typing errors and try again.

Has jellybean ever been wrong?

#15 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 16 July 2013 - 17:13

Has jellybean ever been wrong?

I don't want to spread FUD because I'm not sure if this issue still exists, but during the transition from Windows XP SP1 to SP2 Jellybean Key Finder stopped reporting the correct keys. It still reported something, it was just wrong. That is when I switched to ProduKey, which I have never had problems with in the years since. I tried to use ProduKey during the Windows 7 beta before the author added Windows 7 support, and it failed gracefully rather than reporting something wrong. So you can be confident with ProduKey that the key it gives you is correct. That said, I haven't used Jellybean Key Finder in a very long time, and I'm not sure if it still has the issue I described.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!