• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 16 July 2013 - 14:28

Sony PS4 dev kit FCC filing shows off extra ports, 2.75GHz max clock frequency 

ps4-dev-kit-front-back.jpg

Sony proudly showed off its PlayStation 4 hardware for the first time at E3, and now we're getting a peek at what developers are working with this generation thanks to the FCC. The DUH-D1000AA prototype Development Kit for PS4 is listed in these documents, tested for its Bluetooth and 802.11 b/g/n WiFi radios. As one would expect, the diagrams show it eschews the sleek design of the consumer model for extra cooling, a shape made for rack mounts plus extra indicator lights and ports. Also of note is a "max clock frequency" listing of 2.75GHz, and although we don't know how fast the game system will run by default, it's interesting to hear what all that silicon may be capable of (as a commenter points out below, that may relate to the system's 8GB of GDDR5 RAM) while maintaining a temperature between 5 and 35 degrees celsius. Hit the link below to check out the documents for yourself, after seeing this and the system's controller become a part of the FCC's database all we're left waiting for is Mark Cerny's baby.

sony-ps4-dev-kit-specs.jpg

Source: http://www.engadget....opment-kit-fcc/

So much for the PS4 is going to overheat comments  :rolleyes:

#2 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:00

Wonder if they will allow higher clock speeds in the future, we know PSP was clocked down to 222MHz from 333MHz and that some games allowed the full clock speed.

#3 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:12

Source: http://www.engadget....opment-kit-fcc/

Uh.  the PS4 dev kit is twice as think as the PS4 (ie more room for cooling).  The PS4 retail could STILL have overheating issues.  Until people have them in their homes no one knows if this will be/won't be an issue.

#4 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:13

I can't see it going much higher. Surely this thing must be putting out some serious heat for how small the console is ?

Am I right in thinking there's been no pictures of the internals yet?

#5 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:20

So Sony is now selling devkits to everyone? :laugh:

(and no, I don't think PS4 will have heat issues)

#6 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 16 July 2013 - 21:31

Uh.  the PS4 dev kit is twice as think as the PS4 (ie more room for cooling).  The PS4 retail could STILL have overheating issues.  Until people have them in their homes no one knows if this will be/won't be an issue.

The PS4 is clocked at 1.8-2ghz, the dev kits are 2.75ghz.

#7 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 16 July 2013 - 21:48

The dev kit also has to handle debug in parallel with the games.

anyone who's been properly beta testing(no not modern beta testing which is another word for public beta and stress test) knows how much debug code affects performance. 

and the dev kit is much bigger, and has a much different cooling solution, and it doesn't need to worry about sound from the cooling either so it probably ramps up to 9000 

#8 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2013 - 22:10

makes you think why the Xbox One is as big as it is. I think ESRAM produces a lot of heat and needs a lot more cooling than the other components.(Not critiquing performance here)

#9 +-T-

-T-

Trapmaster

Posted 16 July 2013 - 23:56

LNWPf7X.jpg

I'd love to know how they're keeping a 2.75Ghz AMD chip with GPU, and DDR5 RAM, at 35c, that's the best ambient temp I've ever seen for a whole system with such small cooling.

#10 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 July 2013 - 00:54

I wonder if Sony or MS are going to leverage something like the Turbo Boost feature on AMD and Intel processors.

That could allow them to get more speed out of some cores when the others aren't being used. It works on pcs, so why not these consoles? If devs had that kind of option as in utilize just 4 cores but at a higher frequency than using all 8, that could be useful.

#11 Salutary7

Salutary7

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:05

I can't see it going much higher. Surely this thing must be putting out some serious heat for how small the console is ?

Am I right in thinking there's been no pictures of the internals yet?

I'd be surprised if they didn't put some serious copper inside to get enough heat dissipation. In essence, losing extra money on each sale in exchange for a more desirable box.

#12 Boxster17

Boxster17

Porsche Enthusiast

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:49

I still don't understand these heat concerns that everyone seems to have.  These next-gen consoles won't be sucking nearly as much power as a launch X360/PS3 did.  People never seem to be concerned about high performance laptops but you build a console that's 3 times the size of those and suddenly people are worried?

#13 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:58

on that note, gaming laptops are traditionally a lot thicker than normal non gaming high performance laptops. and they're often a wedge shape with a thicker back end ventilating hour air through the thick ear and sucking in air and the bottom and front usually with at least two fans. Despite hardware that makes a lot of heat these laptops (at least the Toshiba Qosmio with which I have experience) Don't get warm at all even on high end gaming, even the exhaust air isn't really warm. 

That said, mobile gaming laptops don't translate directly to gaming machines designed for a specific heat threshold though. 

#14 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:37

Did people forget that the CPU is actually a mobile processor? 

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:54

Did people forget that the CPU is actually a mobile processor? 

based on.  and with a powerful graphics card which is what makes most heat anyway. 

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!