west virginia body mass index dietician guidelines

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,028 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 15:07

The Boy Scouts of America’s new fitness standards for participating in the organization’s annual Jamboree are so rigorous they would not just exclude chubby tenderfoots — they would even bar many NFL players.

All Scouts were required to have a physical exam in advance of the Jamboree and those with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater were barred from participating at this year’s gathering, which features strenuous activities such as hiking, rock climbing, rappelling and biking. Scouts with BMIs between 32 and 39.9 had to provide additional health information to take on the 1,000-plus acre Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve in West Virginia. But critics said excluding obese Boy Scouts goes against the spirit of the organization.

Patricia Bannon, a registered dietician and author of “Eat Right When Time Is Tight,” told FoxNews.com she found no issue with the guidelines, but said those who were excluded from the fitness competition should still be allowed to participate in some modified way.

more

#2 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,987 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:08

of course it would bar many NFL players, a lot of them are FAT! littearly! they might have a lot of muscle weight, but they also have a ton of fat, hence why you want larger defense players... you need them larger to hold off the skinnier runners...

#3 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,028 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:10

I blame Twinkies.

#4 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:11

of course it would bar many NFL players, a lot of them are FAT! littearly! they might have a lot of muscle weight, but they also have a ton of fat, hence why you want larger defense players... you need them larger to hold off the skinnier runners...

Also most of those guys are in their late 20s. Also most of them have serious health problems by the time they're 40.

BMI is not a great measure of human obesity, but BMI + waist size will get you close enough to know who's fat and who is just muscular.

#5 SledgeNZ

SledgeNZ

Neowinian

• 131 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:15

Surely they'd want the fatties as they don't run as fast so easier to catch and abuse?

#6 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,788 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:24

While i'm sure a select few look fat and are in great shape, i'm guessing the majority are just fat.

#7 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,627 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:27

Overly obese, ey? Is there such a thing as overly obese? What's the line between regular obese and overly obese?

Exposing obese people to sudden amounts of exercise is dangerous. The first kid who collapses will have his parents suing the scouts. This might be more about liability than trying to exclude kids.

#8 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,659 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:44

The Boy Scouts of America’s new fitness standards for participating in the organization’s annual Jamboree are so rigorous they would not just exclude chubby tenderfoots — they would even bar many NFL players.

All Scouts were required to have a physical exam in advance of the Jamboree and those with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater were barred from participating at this year’s gathering, which features strenuous activities such as hiking, rock climbing, rappelling and biking. Scouts with BMIs between 32 and 39.9 had to provide additional health information to take on the 1,000-plus acre Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve in West Virginia.

More ridiculous fearmongering from the Fox News Terror Network™.

The vast majority of NFL players would be able to provide additional health information to demonstrate that they are physically fit, allowing them to partake. Some NFL players would technically be barred under these rules but the reality is that you don't get children under the age of 18 looking like Michael Jasper—who is mentioned in the article—because their hormones don't support it; they haven't fully developed physically. Further, "athletes" like Michael Jasper are actually significantly overweight - they have a high muscle mass but their weight still isn't healthy. However, this isn't about professional athletes undergoing intense physical regimes with personal trainers. What this comes down to is physically unfit children being prevented from participating for health reasons, which is understandable.

Fox News has picked a ridiculous hypothetical and tried to use it to generate outrage when in reality the rule is perfectly reasonable. The BMI scale is far from perfect but it's suitable for the intended usage here.

#9 Don't Feed the Wolfie

Don't Feed the Wolfie

Don't sugarcoat it because you'll probably eat that too

• 5,247 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:45

stop feeding your children garbage, problem solved.

#10 blade1269

blade1269

Jesus Saved me! A Christian!

• 1,721 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:52

I blame Twinkies.

Too soon :)

#11 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• 3,463 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 16 July 2013 - 17:03

You can also be barred from C.O.P.E. and other high adventure activities if you go over the limits. I weigh more than my height and the camp medic didn't question my forms because I was the only leader able to go with my Troop for half of a week of summer camp last week. But, I spoke up and said I wouldn't be doing anything strenuous, other than walking up hills with the Scouts to attend some of their classes.

#12 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,179 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 17:38

The football player comparison is a bad anology. The fact is many kids, even athletes, have congenital a cardiac arrhythmia or other problems that, combined with obesity and many of those strenuous activities, could cause trouble or death. Look at how many outwardly "normal" kids drop dead doing sports. The vast majority had passed the required pre-athletics physical.

#13 Salutary7

Salutary7

Neowinian

• 459 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 17:54

If the kids could bear to be more fit, maybe they shouldn't be excluded from physical activity :huh:

#14 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• 6,799 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 18:11

Its mostly OFFENSIVE linemen that are fat. Defensive Line is a lot more speed based.

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,984 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 16 July 2013 - 18:24

To bad BMI is an absolutely rubbish useless measurement who doesn't measure FAT, LITERALLY! :)