Custom PC Build Help

pc build help custom

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 tg4cb

tg4cb

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:15

Hello, I have no idea how to build a custom PC, I would like your guy's opinions on what would make a good Gaming PC (with costs please). My primary goal is to run The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on Ultra setting (highest settings) Thanks in advance for your help and time.

#2 Jonathan Lucas

Jonathan Lucas

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:28

Hahaha,, do you have a budget to stay within? 

When you say you have no idea how to build a custom PC, are you asking for help with actually knowing the parts to use?

You will need, at the very least..

Motherboard, Memory, Processor, Heat-sink and Fan,  Graphics card(s), Hard-drive, power supply, case, and operating system...

As far as what specific brands, and types, well.. you will not get a definitive answer here.. but a whole lot of opinions, good ones at that.   :)

It would be MUCH easier to know what your bankroll is for the build. 

Let us know. :)

edited for grammar and spelling

Edited by Jonathan Lucas, 17 July 2013 - 04:30.

#3 OP tg4cb

tg4cb

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:33

Well unfortunately, I have no idea how much a custom PC runs, I don't even know where to begin. Would $1000 to $1500 cover it?

#4 Jonathan Lucas

Jonathan Lucas

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:54

Do you have a monitor already? Do you have a keyboard and mouse? Is your budget just for the computer itself? If so, you have a great opportunity to be future proofed for years if the parts are purchased correctly, and you get plenty of feedback on what works.

I am skeptical on posting first about this because first, this is Neowin, and second, everyone has an opinion.  :)

SInce you are a gamer, and want to fluidly play games, I would first look at video cards, second, processor, then third, memory. A fast hard-disk(s) is important as well...

Spend your money on the internals, and of course if you have money left over, which you should if done correctly, get a nice case!!

What else are you looking to do other than building a gaming rig? Are you wanting to over clock also?

Even if you do not have a good monitor yet, I still beliwve you can get there within your budget..

I personally have a AMD build. Great bang for the buck, but I also like Intel as well... 

I would probably go for a Intel build with i7, nVidia Graphics, and as much fast memory you can afford, saving room for a fast SSD drive and a couple of fast secondary SATA III platter based drives for storage... If you have the money left over.. stuff it all into a sexy case, and enjoy!!

#5 OP tg4cb

tg4cb

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:58

Well I have a somewhat average PC now. Would it be more economical to upgrade it or to have a custom build?

Thanks for your help, by the way.

EDIT: I have a monitor and keyboard and mouse already, but the aren't really for gaming. Hell, my monitor isn't even HD.

#6 Jonathan Lucas

Jonathan Lucas

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:11

What do you have now? Please be specific. :)

#7 OP tg4cb

tg4cb

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:17

• MicroTek Monitor (sorry don't know model)
  • ASUS CM1730-01 CPU
    - Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 220 2.80 GHz
    - RAM: 4gb
    -  Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics
    - HDD: 750 GB
  • Standard ASUS Keyboard
  • Standard ASUS Mouse

#8 +PeterUK

PeterUK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 July 2013 - 15:15

Hello, I have no idea how to build a custom PC,

Are you up for building a PC? With $1000 of PC parts you really need to know that this is what you want.

#9 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 17 July 2013 - 15:35

so do you plan on buying the parts and literally building it yourself? or buying the parts and paynig someone to build it? or do you just want to buy a brand name computer that comes already assembled?

#10 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 17 July 2013 - 15:37

tg4cb - your current computer is really outdated. you'd be best buying a new one.

being that it's your 1st time building one, you'll want to watch some youtube videos or some sort of guide. While us nerds take it for granted, there's a lot of nuances, or fine points, that go into it.

we can start to recommend some parts for a good build, but you'll need to do the research about how to build it properly.

#11 OP tg4cb

tg4cb

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2013 - 16:18

I plan on buying the parts and having someone build it. Unless anyone has a brand name, already assembled PC that's good for gaming.

#12 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 17 July 2013 - 16:39

Think IBuyPower or CyberPowerPC is better for him. Where you pick out the parts, they build it.

#13 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 17 July 2013 - 18:00

Think IBuyPower or CyberPowerPC is better for him. Where you pick out the parts, they build it.

no, his plan is probably better. you can get a computer shop to build it for < $100, but a brand name gaming company will mark it up much more than that.

#14 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 July 2013 - 18:41

If you've managed to put Legos together, you can build a PC. 

#15 guitmz

guitmz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 17 July 2013 - 18:49

Well, I might get flammed for recommending this but I'm building an AMD pc for me (i use intel on laptop and to be honest i didn't noticed a gap yet)..

My specs now:

MSI 970A-G43 MB

AMD FX 8320

8GB corsair vengeance

Gigabyte 7950 3GB GPU

700W PSU (prob too much for my build but it was cheap)

And i did not spent a lot of money for that config.. you might wanna check it out (you can prob get the parts cheaper than me since im in Brazil.. I recommend the MB 970A-G46 for this if possible or another brand - actually any will do fine)

Oh, I have also bought a 23" Philips fullhd monitor with speakers and 2 HDMIs for 300 usd (expensive but again, im in Brazil)