Your Hard Drive Status

Hard Drive Status  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Which Type of Hard Drives Do You Have?

• "Normal" Hard Drives
    • SSD
    • A Mix of "Normal" and SSD
  2. 2. How Much Total Space Do You Have? (just your main PC or server)

• < 1 TB
    • 1-2 TB
    • 3-4 TB
    • 5-6 TB
    • 7-8 TB
    • 9-10 TB
    • 10 TB +
  3. 3. How Many Partitions Have You Got?

• 2 or 3
    • 4 or 5
    • 6 or 7
    • 8 or 9
    • 10 +

I own an SSD but it's just sat in a box somewhere, I still prefer normal hard disk drives for everyday use.

I simply own an iMac which has a 500GB drive and a Windows 8 laptop which has a 1TB drive.

I don't bother with external drives as I don't keep anything that can't be retrieved online somewhere really.

Desktop

1 x 256GB SSD - O\S and any related installs - 1 partition.

6 x 3TB HDD - Mix of raid for redundancy - 2 partitions.

1 x 2TB HDD - Scratch drive - 1 partition.

Laptop

1 x 256GB SSD - 1 partition.

Kitchen

1 x 120GB SSD - 1 partition.

• 4 weeks later...

Split Into 6 partitions (OS, Documents, Programs, Games, Temporary Storage, Archive).

You know, most OS'es have a file system that can handle this thing called "folders".

Is this the digital equivalent of the 5-year-old at the dinner table who refuses to let his green peas touch his mashed potatoes?

You know, most OS'es have a file system that can handle this thing called "folders".

Is this the digital equivalent of the 5-year-old at the dinner table who refuses to let his green peas touch his mashed potatoes?

I split my RAID stripe 256GB into C: and D:, C: is OS and programs, D: is Games, and X: is a 2TB drive for Data/Misc/Media

The reason for the C:/D: split is when I do a system image, I only do C:, I don't need the 50GB of battlefield 4 backed up in my 9GB system image using EaseUS or Acronis. People have legit reasons sometimes.

I split my RAID stripe 256GB into C: and D:, C: is OS and programs, D: is Games, and X: is a 2TB drive for Data/Misc/Media

The reason for the C:/D: split is when I do a system image, I only do C:, I don't need the 50GB of battlefield 4 backed up in my 9GB system image using EaseUS or Acronis. People have legit reasons sometimes.

There's not much difference between a system image of a partition, and a partial backup of select folders.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah but then this means it's slightly harder to get to each folder from how I have my rig set up.

Plus, the root of the C drive has a lot more folders than "OS".  Sorry for wanting to make my life slightly easier so I can find what I need quicker.