Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheLegendOfMart

Forza 5 not ready at launch, will require day one download

109 posts in this topic

So you are happy with paying $60 for half a game you can't play until you download multiple gigabytes on a day when thousands if not tens of thousands are trying to connect their Xbox to download the day one system patch and then the day one Forza patch.

We all know how launches go when things have an online component that is required.

Excuses, excuses. I think its pretty shocking at how blas? they are being about telling you they are shipping half the game on disk and the other half they are letting you download for free out of the goodness of their own hearts.

Also I've owned Xbox far longer than I've owned PS3, so yeah Sony die hard, try again.

I know I am just annoyed that I won't be able to play for 5+ hours when I get mine assuming the launch goes fine and the service doesn't degrade with everyone trying to download a system update then a massive Forza update.

The fact that people with better connections don't care and are just telling me to shut up because I am trolling is making me even more annoyed.

I can understand why some people care and why some don't, my biggest problem with most of you're replies are you seem to be telling the people who don't care that they are wrong. If this doesn't bother people then fine, let them be, stop trying to tell them that they are wrong.

I can't say that I have read many of your other posts so i'm going completely on this thread, you are telling people they shouldn't be happy with this. If people aren't happy with a product then don't buy it, if you're going to buy it anyway then IMO you really shouldn't be arguing to the level you are. You can't tell people that they should hate something and that they shouldn't stand for it, but also plan on buy it yourself, it's just completely backwards!

Unless I have missed something also, you're talking about 5+ hours and Multi-GB downloads, where have they said this? for all you know it could be 300MB. Is it likely? no. but you are moaning about something that hasn't even happened yet nor do you know it will! I can't stand people who moan about something when the size and time it is going to take is completely unknown. When it's released and IF you buy it, IF it is massive and IF it takes you hours to download then you know what, moan then. But given that MS have announced that you can play games as they install/download then chances are you will wait 5 minutes before you can actually start playing.

In all honesty you say its unheard of to post negative things about the XB1 on a MS forum but to be honest, that's all that seems to happen, I'm actually getting sick of it. I don't dispute that news like this needs to be posted, but when you post it and attack it people are going to react negatively. Post it and say, IMO this is not good, it will effect someone like me because my connection isn't great, I really think they should spend more time getting a finished product released rather than half being available for DL. People will accept that, will say when it does or doesn't effect them and move on.

The very last, and most pathetic point of all... how can you repeatedly talk about how you appear to be more MS focused, playing Xbox etc more then your Sony products, but you have a PS4 in your signature? I know this is pathetic and pointless but how can you claim to not favour Sony etc but have that? I have owned a PS1, PS3, PS3 and only an Xbox 360. Technically I have played Sony consoles ALOT longer but that means absolutely nothing. I prefer the 360 over the PS3 and I plan to buy an XB1 over a PS4. What I have done in the past has absolutely nothing to do with what I favour now.

1 person likes this

So you are happy with paying $60 for half a game you can't play until you download multiple gigabytes on a day when thousands if not tens of thousands are trying to connect their Xbox to download the day one system patch and then the day one Forza patch.

No I'm happy that I get an awesome day one simulation racer, where I get the full game right away and I can start playing it right away while the game downloads additional free content in the background while I play.

Wen are you going to read the last par of the article you keep quoting. Selective ignore ?

The usual "meh" attitude. If people didn't kick up a fuss Microsoft wouldn't have done a 180 on the DRM. This is a discussion forum believe it or not and I will talk about whatever I want to talk about including Xbox One news explaining what I think the problem is and what I am or am not going to do about it.

And now that people see what they lost with the 180 most are realizing it was a good solution and they would rather have online DRM than disk DRM.

2 people like this

You'll probably find they have to have the game ready for a certain date so it can go off and get manufactured and shipped to all the different countries and be ready for day one. So while all that is happening they're are working on these bits to plug in to the game at launch. If you're buying this as a digital download or it was digital download only. Then it wouldn't even be an issue.

While this may be annoying for people without the Internet (i no longer consider this an excuse). The XB1 has a day one patch anyway, so you're already stuffed there.

Today's gamers are really turning into a horrible bunch. Gone are the days where we just talk about the thing that matters... The GAMES!

so it mean, that complete Forza 5 disc wont be ever available?

Just remember that the console will also need a day one patch.

Why play Forza offline when you can setup your cloud racer and it will do the work for you.

I love how people connect to the internet to complain about devices requiring an internet connection. This seems like the average 1st world problems to me.

so it mean, that complete Forza 5 disc wont be ever available?

I think it means that Forza 5 disks have already started printing, they'll probably have complete Forza 5 disks shipping after the release date for Forza 5, after the Day 1 DLC ships.

To be honest, I'd rather they use the time between manufacturing and shipping to improve the product - HOWEVER - I see no reason why it needs to be "required".

Ship an incomplete game, sure - but make it so that if I have that disk I can play whats on there until I patch it. I personally spend alot of time in a location that only has a 3G connection (countryside FTW!) - so what's going to happen when I take my Forza 5 disk there possibly weeks later? I'm going to need to hook the XB up before I can play it, which I don't agree with/would mean carrying the damn thing hundreds of miles just to download a patch.

I know I am just annoyed that I won't be able to play for 5+ hours when I get mine assuming the launch goes fine and the service doesn't degrade with everyone trying to download a system update then a massive Forza update.

The fact that people with better connections don't care and are just telling me to shut up because I am trolling is making me even more annoyed.

Trust me mate, i know where you're coming from.

I'm lucky to break the 1.5MB barrier most of the time and the other night i was enjoying the dizzying heights of 0.09Meg :o

Thing is though, it's my service provider i should be mad at, not MS or the Forza team. So basically **** BT!

That doesn't count, comparing downloading part of a game to buying a car and bring it to somewhere to get the rest is stupid.

Many people purchase a car and have it fitted with stuff and delivered to them. This is pretty much the same thing.

1 person likes this

Expect many more developers to follow suit. Ship half/incomplete games which will require day1 patch to fill in remaining missing bits.

That is just pure laziness and nothing else. Forza developers clearly missed their deadline and are making poor excuses. Now before XBox apologists start chewing my head, let me remind you that it can happen even to PS4 developer. Who knows they are doing this deliberately to do authentication checks.

In this thread though, i totally agree with Nik Louch.

MS had to go through a massive change because of a lot of child like whining at them for pushing the boundries of console gaming. The entire structure of how the XB1 was to work has been changed and that sort of change just doesn't come easy.

Again, look at my post above. Read before jumping to conclusions. The rework required after the DRM U turn has necessitated it.

I am almost certain they are both troll accounts of the same person. Has anyone ever seen them in the same room at the same time? :p

I am not jumping to conclusions. But you are definitely jumping to confusions.

And how many countless patches were there for Gran Turismo 5? Day one even.

This guy is just looking for things to complain about, as if his avatar and PS4 icon at the end of every post didn't make it abundantly clear.

Somewhat correct. It made me cringe. But those were mostly patches. The game GTA5 itself can be played without a single patch and can achieve 100% completion even with those bugs and without extra tracks.

Here devs say that the game Forza 5 cannot be fully played unless updated.

See the difference?

Actually, yes it is. 

I can't wait for the day you get screwed so hard by something that is related to the "digital age" because you obviously don't give a crap and by then it will be too late to do anything about it purely because no one gave a crap when it mattered.

Either you're really old or you want us to take a very huge step backwards technology wise...

But to counter what you've said;  I can't wait for the day that your fear of the "digital age" screws you.

1 person likes this

I have a 2Mb connection, not by choice either. It's the fastest internet I have available. Am I not allowed to be annoyed just because you have fast uninterrupted internet?

No but you really should direct your anger at the ISP not at the people providing the entertainment.

I completely understand why you must be annoyed but it just means you have to plan it a little more in advance and not expect to be playing it the minute that disc goes in.

Sucks i know but it makes sense to me considering all the major changes they've had to make since the XBox One DRM reversal.

No but you really should direct your anger at the ISP not at the people providing the entertainment.
I completely understand why you must be annoyed but it just means you have to plan it a little more in advance and not expect to be playing it the minute that disc goes in.
Sucks i know but it makes sense to me considering all the major changes they've had to make since the XBox One DRM reversal.

Thanks for not being a ****, there's not a lot my ISP can do about it. Line length and quality means unless I move close to my exchange I'm not going to get any better internet, cable isn't in my area either. Not sure what latency is on 4G but there is no cheap unlimited 4G and it's not in my area yet either.

Edited by Brian M

You are talking about a ?500 console and people not affording high-speed internet. 

For a lot of people it isn't about cost. It is about what they can get. My parents can only just about get 2Mbps. Nothing more. Not even if they wanted to pay more. My friend who lives a mile or so away can only get 700Kbps.

You can play the game while you download a FUD/error you haven't corrected to admitted in 7 pages.

You only need a small patch to play the game, due to DRM changes. The rest is free DLC that you don't HAVE to have, but will be downloaded while you play.

Either way you can start playing immediately after the small 10 second to download and install patch. Then you get the rest of the content whenever.

Thanks for not being a d*ck, there's not a lot my ISP can do about it. Line length and quality means unless I move close to my exchange I'm not going to get any better internet, cable isn't in my area either. Not sure what latency is on 4G but there is no cheap unlimited 4G and it's not in my area yet either.

Your ISP could set up more exchanges so they have proper coverage on their lines.

You can play the game while you download a FUD/error you haven't corrected to admitted in 7 pages.

You only need a small patch to play the game, due to DRM changes. The rest is free DLC that you don't HAVE to have, but will be downloaded while you play.

Either way you can start playing immediately after the small 10 second to download and install patch. Then you get the rest of the content whenever.

In other words, because games have to be submitted to Microsoft testing, certified, and then pressed onto discs and shipped, Forza 5 has to be done much, much sooner than November. By requiring part of the game as a download on launch day

It says a day one download of tracks and cars is REQUIRED on day one, the game is unplayable otherwise. It says nothing about a "small patch", it clearly says to meet cert deadline they have to push content to day one download.

I don't know how large the patch is, if its a few GB it will take me hours and there is no way I can play as I download with a slow connection as I already said a few times if you read my posts properly.

Your ISP could set up more exchanges so they have proper coverage on their lines.

There is less than 30k people in my town, it would cost too much to set up an extra exchange for little gain.

rushed disc printing

rushed certification

rushed shippings

all thanks to the internet ;)

There's less than 6000 people in my town, and we have adsl, cable and even fiber in some places. I live 20 km outside of town in a tiny little farm area with 100 meters between neighbors. Guess what. On my 24Mb subscription I get between 16 and 18Mbps. So sorry, that's plain BS.

The line operator has a responsibility to make sure there's enough exchanges along the line to cover it. Certainly not a problem in a 30k town.

Also you can star playing the game immediately after the first game patch. While the actual content patch downloads, the content patch is just more cars and tracks. You may need them to finish all the achievements and races that are on them, but you don't need them to start playing the game.

Edited by Brian M
1 person likes this

This wont be an issue for us, but for those soccer mums whose only technical know-how is how to connect a hdmi cable in its going to be an issue.

I'm sure Forza publishers are going to get a few upset phone calls especially from places with not very stable internet connections but to most of us it wont really be too big a deal.

HawkMan: I didn't even have DSL where I live until late last year.  I had a crappy ass unlimited 3g connection that was unsteady as all hell.  It was 2mb...at least twice a year!

Was a big part of why I sold my last 360 off.  Couldn't handle all the downloading with multiple systems.

Edited by Brian M

If the Forza 5 actually came with MULTIPLE disc at launch, this problem should've been solved already.

But i guess laziness & stinginess make that less likely to happens.

Thanks for not being a d*ck, there's not a lot my ISP can do about it. Line length and quality means unless I move close to my exchange I'm not going to get any better internet, cable isn't in my area either. Not sure what latency is on 4G but there is no cheap unlimited 4G and it's not in my area yet either.

I hear ya man, we don;t live in the same place do we? :p

Fact is, it'll be a long time here before we start to see decent BB speeds. The government, council and local village authority have all been petitioned and now we play the waiting game.

Apparently my local council has been awarded a bunch of funding to further the data infrastructure throughout its jurisdiction, however once the red tape is worked out and work begins its already going to be a few years down the line.

My choice of ISP is either BT or Sky (or a handful of BT resellers) so i'm limited to as to what i can actually do about it apart from keep up the pressure on the local council.

There's less than 6000 people in my town, and we have adsl, cable and even fiber in some places. I live 20 km outside of town in a tiny little farm area with 100 meters between neighbors. Guess what. On my 24Mb subscription I get between 16 and 18Mbps. So sorry, that's plain BS.

The line operator has a responsibility to make sure there's enough exchanges along the line to cover it. Certainly not a problem in a 30k town.

If only it was that easy man, trust me the infrastructure in the UK is total crap.

I used to live and grew up in London with great internet connections and choice, i know live in rural Scotland and my god it couldn't be any different.