Photo

Forza 5 not ready at launch, will require day one download

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
108 replies to this topic

#16 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:42

So what? They want their game out at launch and Microsoft is able to make that happen while letting them finish up their content after going gold. At least they aren't charging extra for it.

Not to mention it becomes completely irrelevant if you're like me and plenty others who will be happy to forego discs this next generation.

#17 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:43

I know Mart is inclined towards PS4, but he does have a valid point. It would really suck to stand in queue and get the home at launch day only to be greeted by "Downloading updates, 10GB remaining." Especially for the ones with painfully slow internet connections.

They should take their own sweet time and release FINISHED product.

#18 OP TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:47

So what? They want their game out at launch and Microsoft is able to make that happen while letting them finish up their content after going gold. At least they aren't charging extra for it.

Not to mention it becomes completely irrelevant if you're like me and plenty others who will be happy to forego discs this next generation.

The problem is not everyone has a superfast connection, you can imagine someone bringing home their new $500 console and after spending $50-60 on Forza, whacking it into the machine and having to wait hours while it downloads gigabytes worth of information.

#19 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:51

The problem is not everyone has a superfast connection, you can imagine someone bringing home their new $500 console and after spending $50-60 on Forza, whacking it into the machine and having to wait hours while it downloads gigabytes worth of information.

But you don't have to wait hours. We already know you can play games while they download, I don't see why it would be any different here.

#20 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:52

Pretty much every major game I've played in the last five years has needed a day one patch, whether it had to go through certification or not.

I can't get all worked up about it myself unless the game is legitimately buggy after that patch.  It might not be preferable but it is common.

Fortunately this coming gen getting those patches out doesn't seem to take a month and a half in cert.

I also highly doubt it's several gigabytes.  Heh.  I guess we'll find out soon enough.

#21 OP TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:55

But you don't have to wait hours. We already know you can play games while they download, I don't see why it would be any different here.

Say the patch is 5-10GB it will take me 5-10 Hours and seeing how the patch is tracks and cars I HIGHLY doubt I would be able to play as I download as I would catch up to the download pretty quick.

Pretty much every major game I've played in the last five years has needed a day one patch, whether it had to go through certification or not.

I can't get all worked up about it myself unless the game is legitimately buggy after that patch.  It might not be preferable but it is common.

Fortunately this coming gen getting those patches out doesn't seem to take a month and a half in cert.

I also highly doubt it's several gigabytes.  Heh.  I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I don't doubt it. Read the article it is content that wont make it before the disk is pressed that is REQUIRED before you can even play the game, tracks and cars.

#22 kaotic

kaotic

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:01

By requiring part of the game as a download on launch day, it gives Turn 10 extra time to finish everything. And so what you get on the disc you buy at the store won’t be the entire game. You’ll need to download the rest of it from Xbox Live (which should be possible to occur as you play, Greenawalt clarified).

That sounds like you'll be able to play as you download. 

#23 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:03

I know Mart is inclined towards PS4, but he does have a valid point. It would really suck to stand in queue and get the home at launch day only to be greeted by "Downloading updates, 10GB remaining." Especially for the ones with painfully slow internet connections.

They should take their own sweet time and release FINISHED product.

Even those with fast connections will suffer from the inevitable slow speeds the xbox servers will offer on launch day(and perhaps even a few days after launch) from everyone hammering them.

It probably will be several gigabytes actually. If you played forza 4 you know that half the cars were on a second disc that required an install. That install was something of around 3GB if i recall correctly. Now, take that and add in the fact that everything in much higher quality now(meaning the same assets will take up more space), along side of the fact that it's also tracks missing along side of the cars, and you've easily got a several gigabyte download.

#24 Scirwode

Scirwode

As High A Sky As There Ever Be...

• OS: Windows 8.1 Pro, OSX Mavericks, Android 4.4.2 & Windows Phone 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020, HTC Desire, Asus Nexus 7

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:04

I do understand where you're coming from. I remember a time when to download a WarCraft III patch on a 1MB connection took me 4 hours to complete :laugh: ! And I can understand the frustration of wanting to play the game only to realise that you have to wait a few more hours for it to complete before you can play. However, I am also a pragmatist in a way that if the game requires a patch before I can play it, I just grab myself a drink and wait for a few minutes. If it takes a few hours, I just grab a nice book or step out for a moment and meet some friends before coming back and enjoying playing the game. I don't brood over the console and hope that the download finishes faster :laugh: . It's the same with Steam really, and I haven't lost my time brooding over it.

Scirwode

#25 uMadRabbit

uMadRabbit

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:04

Wait so.."Finish everything"..

This kinda smells fishy. So they haven't finished the game and will push and "update" as an DLC on day one, when will they have time to do the QC then? :huh: This game will be buggy as hell and will need a day two patch if it goes like that.

#26 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:07

This is getting off topic and I'm tired of having to justify myself to "people" on a forum.

I switched between original Xbox and PS2 a few times since they launched then I got 360 at launch and kept it till 2011 when I got a PS3, I have used Xbox more than I have used Sony products in my life.

Next gen Sony is doing everything right and Microsoft is doing everything wrong which is why I am highly critical, borderline over the top, against them. I wasn't going to get an X1 until they did the 180 on DRM.

Just because I am highly negative doesn't mean I don't want to play Forza, etc..

Sony is getting everything right? I don't have much faith in Sonys patching system. Even back when is first got broadband and it was a 512kb line, game patches on Xbox took seconds to download and install. My friend even after upgrading to a 8mb/s line patches on PS3 took full minutes to download and then install. Maybe now PSN will cost money it'll get better who knows.

#27 kaotic

kaotic

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:12

Sony is getting everything right? I don't have much faith in Sonys patching system. Even back when is first got broadband and it was a 512kb line, game patches on Xbox took seconds to download and install. My friend even after upgrading to a 8mb/s line patches on PS3 took full minutes to download and then install. Maybe now PSN will cost money it'll get better who knows.

lol, speaking of Sony's patching system... A friend sent me this today.

#28 3rr0r

3rr0r

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:23

so its gold already , and a fattie patch / content day 1  , just fine

#29 illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:25

This is news now?  Every new game I get on my Xbox 360  requires an update on release day.  Irritating and annoying as the updates don't seem to do anything.

#30 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:29

I do see what you're saying but it's obvious that all this was already planned and good to go before MS reversed their 'connected' decision.

So i wouldn't blame the Dev team at Forza for that, i'd blame the whining 'toys out of pram' types that forced MS to reverse their decision in the first place, this Gen wasn't about finalized disc based games, it was about flexibility, a degree of which has now been removed.