Forza 5 not ready at launch, will require day one download

It does say in the article that a game, specially a big one of this scale has to be submitted for testing way in advance of it's release date.  The thing with Forza is also that the overall setup of the console it's going to run on has changed.  Back when the system was going to at least connect once a day they could push out content in the background without it even being a issue.   That meant they had a different schedule in mind, now it's changed on them and "everything" has to be ready offline, but they can't make everything ready in time.  The stuff on the disc is probably already done or very close and will start the testing/QA checks and other localization bits.  Forza will release in different languages and so on and once again, scale comes into play.  The game "content" can be done, cars, tracks etc, but everything else, all the text and stuff has to start the localization process after that.   It's more timing, more testing and QA checking.  Do you guys even bother to look at how long the credits on even the shortest FPS games are?  And I thought movie credits were long, some of these AAA games take the cake, specially when they start spitting out all the people from different locals.

I bet this game needs at least 2 months to test, fix any bugs they find, localize and so on.    Now that they don't have the ability to rely on that internet connection to kick-in and download updates in the background they have to force you to go on at the first run and grab them all at once then instead of it going off and doing it silently.  

Does it suck?  Sure, but then again with the whole shift in the setup of the platform these things happen.  I'm sure this won't be the first game that needs a update of some sort, call it a patch, call it downloading content that they couldn't add in time, whatever.   At least it's not EA selling you DLC at a price that's already on the disc. 

I don't understand why so many people continue to fail to grasp the fact that it is due to the crybabies who caused MS to U turn on their drm which caused this delay.

If they didn't have to rework so much to have to work offline then the game would be shipped complete on day one. 

End of story. We can thank the crybabies for this.

ahhaahah Yeah right. You do realize that the DRM-gate bull**** has been all played out by Microsoft. THEY KNEW EXACTLY WHAT THEY WERE DOING.

They were going to do a 180 anyway, they knew people wouldn't like it and the purposefully created this PR disaster. Then they bringed back some features and blame the other part of the community saying it was their fault they lost features. It's all complete BS. ALL PLANED IN ADVANCED. Just to **** up with the community.

If these people are crybabies, you<re a sheep for believing microsoft. Everyone got played out.

It's like that Trayvon Martin BS, the media misinformed everyone and now it<s riots in the streets. And they have no clue of the actual facts.

Americas actually are not best for connectibity. :p

I don't know man. Console isn't ready if they are not selling, period. They probably got devkits in May-July timeframe and if you know anything about software development, this is pushing it already.

You'd think it was with the amount of people that are American telling the rest of the world to get better broadband, and MS almost focussing exclusively on America.

Somewhat correct. It made me cringe. But those were mostly patches. The game GTA5 itself can be played without a single patch and can achieve 100% completion even with those bugs and without extra tracks.

Here devs say that the game Forza 5 cannot be fully played unless updated.

See the difference?

That fact hadn't escaped me. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter. They're still countless patches. Day one. And as far as GT5 was concerned, without them, some of the functionality didn't work, including online play. Granted, that may be different than being unable to play the game at all, but its just as much a pain to have to wait and download them first. That's what really matters. And really, who is gonna sit there and not get the updates for GT5 day one because they're in such a rush to play? I know I got them. Sounds like you did too. There was so much stuff after a time, the v1.0 GT5 disc is pretty much worthless to me now. Thankfully, they made a Spec 2.0 disc with all patches and content up to that point. I wish there was such a disc for Forza 4.

Just another reason to download the game instead of buying a disc. Certain games are a better fit for that. Not all, but some. Especially when the game continues to evolve past the shipping version.

Anyway, You and I can debate this subject honestly, but Mart can't. He is clearly biased, and will say whatever to further his point.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/07/16/forza-motorsport-5-requires-one-time-internet-connection

Oh dear. Ship unfinished game on the disk and just make people download the rest on day one.

So much for the amazing Xbox SDK, Dev tools which allow developers to make games quickly and easily.

Also love the ridiculous comparisons Microsoft likes to keep making. When I buy a fridge I get the whole fridge, I don't get the main part of the fridge without the doors and and the shelves which I have to get separately.

I agree with you about not liking devs getting lazy, but how the heck is that related to the Xbox SDK or dev tools?

Why is it that you make a fair point about devs then just have to throw in an unrelated jab? From reading the article, I see nothing that points to this being the fault of the Xbox SDK or dev tools. Instead it sounds like the Forza team wanted more time on content, so instead of delaying the testing and disc production part, they offer the extra content as free dlc.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but the story pointed to just tracks and cars in this day one dlc. Does that mean there are no tracks or cars built in or that they are mearly adding additional tracks and cars? That would affect my opinion.

If there is already content, then I'm ok with dlc to add to it. If the game has none, then I really don't like that practice. Can anyone clarify that?

I agree with you about not liking devs getting lazy, but how the heck is that related to the Xbox SDK or dev tools?

Why is it that you make a fair point about devs then just have to throw in an unrelated jab? From reading the article, I see nothing that points to this being the fault of the Xbox SDK or dev tools. Instead it sounds like the Forza team wanted more time on content, so instead of delaying the testing and disc production part, they offer the extra content as free dlc.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but the story pointed to just tracks and cars in this day one dlc. Does that mean there are no tracks or cars built in or that they are mearly adding additional tracks and cars? That would affect my opinion.

If there is already content, then I'm ok with dlc to add to it. If the game has none, then I really don't like that practice. Can anyone clarify that?

There is already cars and tracks and you can start playing immediately(after downloading the game patch that fixes the DRM change) while it downloads the DLC content in the background. and you don't need a fast line to do this. 

I'm surprised few people have an issue with this. Developers have been getting lazier and lazier using connected consoles as an excuse to push out an unfinished, buggy product.

I remember before the internet when games were actually bug free for the most part and came complete in the package, the only "DLC" addons were full expansion packs as a separate boxed also finished product.

This fantasy world you are living in with bug free games is just that - a fantasy. It was never that way.

• Like 2