Town to consider Drone hunting license, bounty

As Hum predicted ...

A small town in Colorado is considering an ordinance that would create a license and bounty for hunters to shoot down drones.

"We do not want drones in town," Phillip Steel, the Deer Trail, Colo., resident who drafted the ordinance, told Denver's ABC7 affiliate. "They fly in town, they get shot down." :shiftyninja:

Steel's proposal, recently submitted to the town board, calls for a $25 drone hunting license and outlines "rules of engagement" for hunters looking to shoot down the unmanned aerial devices:

The Town of Deer Trail shall issue a reward of $100 to any shooter who presents a valid hunting license and the following identifiable parts of an unmanned aerial vehicle whose markings and configuration are consistent with those used on any similar craft known to be owned or operated by the United States federal government.

Steel said that while he's never seen a drone flying in Deer Trail, the ordinance is a "symbolic" one.

"I do not believe in the idea of a surveillance society, and I believe we are headed that way," he said.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Deer Trail's population was 559 in 2011.

"They'll sell like hotcakes," Steel said of the proposed drone license. "It could be a huge moneymaker for the town."

David Boyd, one of Deer Field's seven board members, supports the drone ordinance.

"Even if a tiny percentage of people get online (for a) drone license, that's cool," Boyd said. "That's a lot of money to a small town like us. Could be known for it as well, which probably might be a mixed blessing, but what the heck."

There's even talk of the town?which claims to be home to "the world's first rodeo"?hosting the world's first drone hunt. "A skeet, fun-filled festival," town clerk Kim Oldfield said.

The board will consider the drone hunting ordinance on Aug. 6.

source

I sense a disturbence in the force...somewhere someone is scribbling down a proposal for the reality tv show of this...

• Like 3

Absolutely insane. Police drones are NOT like the ones the military uses. Police mainly RC cars/tanks, planes, and quadrotors with a camera strapped to it. They get maybe a couple hours of battery life. Bigger cities may be able to get nicer COFDM models but we're talking a jump from 10grand to a 100grand.

They also do NOT carry ordinance.

As Hum predicted ...

A small town in Colorado is considering an ordinance that would create a license and bounty for hunters to shoot down drones.

"We do not want drones in town," Phillip Steel, the Deer Trail, Colo., resident who drafted the ordinance, told Denver's ABC7 affiliate. "They fly in town, they get shot down." :shiftyninja:

Steel's proposal, recently submitted to the town board, calls for a $25 drone hunting license and outlines "rules of engagement" for hunters looking to shoot down the unmanned aerial devices:

The Town of Deer Trail shall issue a reward of $100 to any shooter who presents a valid hunting license and the following identifiable parts of an unmanned aerial vehicle whose markings and configuration are consistent with those used on any similar craft known to be owned or operated by the United States federal government.

Steel said that while he's never seen a drone flying in Deer Trail, the ordinance is a "symbolic" one.

"I do not believe in the idea of a surveillance society, and I believe we are headed that way," he said.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Deer Trail's population was 559 in 2011.

"They'll sell like hotcakes," Steel said of the proposed drone license. "It could be a huge moneymaker for the town."

David Boyd, one of Deer Field's seven board members, supports the drone ordinance.

"Even if a tiny percentage of people get online (for a) drone license, that's cool," Boyd said. "That's a lot of money to a small town like us. Could be known for it as well, which probably might be a mixed blessing, but what the heck."

There's even talk of the town?which claims to be home to "the world's first rodeo"?hosting the world's first drone hunt. "A skeet, fun-filled festival," town clerk Kim Oldfield said.

The board will consider the drone hunting ordinance on Aug. 6.

source

haha yea. You idiots go right ahead and shoot down a drone. Then when I see in the news that someone in your area shot down a drown and got arrested, I'm gonna laugh in much the same way I am now.

Yeah, shoot down an aircraft operated by the US federal government... see how long you'll be in prison for. That's felony destruction of property and treason. And you'll be responsible for replacement costs...

If I was in charge, I'd send down a fleet of non-military drones to buzz that town :shifty:

Its not just police though, drones for busineses and consumers are coming down in price.  The drone that you can attached your Nokia 1020 too was only $64K.  I agree the idea of shooting down drones is ridiculous but I see nothing wrong with them passing an ordiance to ban them (at least from private individuals/businesss using them in the area).  I suspect between google glass and drones etc, in the coming years we will see a lot of proposals like this cropping up (sans the shooting part...I would hope)

Yeah, shoot down an aircraft operated by the US federal government... see how long you'll be in prison for. That's treason. And you'll be responsible for replacement costs...

If I was in charge, I'd send down a fleet of non-military drones to buzz that town :shifty:

haha yea. You idiots go right ahead and shoot down a drone. Then when I see in the news that someone in your area shot down a drown and got arrested, I'm gonna laugh in much the same way I am now.

^ Unless a drone has a camera, that happens to capture a clear picture of the shooter, that is not likely to happen.

• Like 1

I'm sure no one will attempt to shoot down drones. ;)

meh, just shine a laser pen light at them and mess up their guidance... oh wait, don't do that, as that is a federal offense and you go to Gitmo or something like that. :shifty:

Joking aside, this is a tax/fee gathering scheme, as in good luck catching a drone to shoot - won't happen often or at all, and they get free money.

^ A&E presents, Drone Hunters -- new this fall ! :woot:

I think they'll call it Cat: The Drone Hunter.

They gonna pray for the poor drones at the end of every sodes.

why not shoot satellite out of space too? they can look into your backyard even easier.... stupid wheres-my-privacy rednecks....

So besides the idiocy of this all.

they're offering "hunting" licenses that not only allows shootingguns IN TOWN, but encourages it ?...  :facepalm:

so how to tell which/who operates the drones you see?

1. was is operated by the Feds operatives ?
  2. or was it operated by private companies / individuals ?
  3. or was it operated by Islamic terrorists group to survey the target area ?

Game Of Drones?

Drone Hunters could in theory, dissects the disabled drones, and monetized its components in available market.

Town laws or preferably States laws could gives the Drone Hunters the Legal Umbrella for this kind activity, but no such laws, yet.

I'm not pro or con on drones but my tax dollars pay for them so does yours. Kinda' like shooting yourself in the foot.

Cody