Photo

USB switch, to use 1 kb on 2 pcs, do they exist?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 18 July 2013 - 17:44

I have a wireless keyboard/mouse combo with a small usb receiver.  I know KVM's exist, but is there a simpler usb switch, that has one or more inputs and two outputs?  I'm using a desktop PC, and at the same time trying out various linux distros on a little netbook beside me.  I'd like to use my wireless keyboard/mouse receiver on both without switching usb ports every time.

#2 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 18 July 2013 - 17:45

KVM is your best bet.

#3 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 18 July 2013 - 17:46

do a search for a KVM Switch.

lol did you not read my post?  I know about KVMs, they are pricey.  I want to know if it is possible to switch USBs, I might try to make one.

#4 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 18 July 2013 - 17:52

I made one, all you need really is a double pole slide switch, 2 diodes and 3 USB connectors they just switch the USB DATA- and DATA+ over from one to the other, due to differences in PCBs and PSUs it's probably best to put the diodes on the +5 lines too or get a bigger switch and put it on there too.

#5 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 18 July 2013 - 17:53

lol did you not read my post?  I know about KVMs, they are pricey.  I want to know if it is possible to switch USBs, I might try to make one.

What do you call pricey?  A 2 port KVM runs around $20

#6 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 18 July 2013 - 17:54

I made one, all you need really is a double pole slide switch, 2 diodes and 3 USB connectors they just switch the USB DATA- and DATA+ over from one to the other, due to differences in PCBs and PSUs it's probably best to put the diodes on the +5 lines too or get a bigger switch and put it on there too.

thanks! what are the diodes for?

#7 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 18 July 2013 - 18:01

I use this and it works well (occasionally my mouse needs to be unplugged and replugged, but that is the only con).

I went this route as I had no need whatsoever for the V portion of the expensive KVM options.

#8 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 18 July 2013 - 18:06

I use this and it works well (occasionally my mouse needs to be unplugged and replugged, but that is the only con).

I went this route as I had no need whatsoever for the V portion of the expensive KVM options.

$25 lol.  I'll make my own, but thanks, good to know they exist.  I do not have $25 to spend, but I do have dozens of switches, project boxes, USB extension cables, hundreds of diodes, and many feet of wire.  

#9 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 18 July 2013 - 18:45

$25 lol.  I'll make my own, but thanks, good to know they exist.  I do not have $25 to spend, but I do have dozens of switches, project boxes, USB extension cables, hundreds of diodes, and many feet of wire.  

I fail to see the comedy. If you wanted to make one you should have asked how to make one...

But carry on :)

#10 Kami-

Kami-

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:13

You don't have $25 to spare yet you can run multiple computers?

Personally if my finances were that dire I'd sell one of the computer systems...

#11 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:22

The diodes were to stop the +5v rails of each host going into the other but it lowers the +5v to +4.3v so it might not power your keyboard. As said though if you get a 3 wire switch you can just feed the 5v line through that and link the grounds.

#12 LeGourmand

LeGourmand

Neowinian

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:46

I was planning to try http://synergy-foss.org/ when i'll get a new computer.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!