AdBlock disables Neowin

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:49

Had a few contact requests slating me for actively blocking adblock users here on Neowin.

Here's the lowdown:

• I moved some ads around yesterday on advice from a fellow site admin to try and improve our click rates and placement;
  • We don't actively target adblock users through site code at all, we just don't like people gloating about using it in our forums;
  • We don't cater to adblock users, if we change our code (which we have every right to do) and it breaks the site because of the add on, tough.
  • I prefer to cater to members and guests who don't disable portions of my site to view content that I have paid for, and pay a staff for monthly;
  • ads enable us to upgrade our servers and keep everything running smoothly.

So, even though I find it baffling that I even have to make an announcement for something that drains revenue from our site, I'm also not going to do anything about it.

I forgot to mention that for members, there are no changes, except for the forum sidebar top ad which was moved higher up. All of the changes apply to guests, so register for the "old" experience.

#2 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,092 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:50

I just told it to block ads on Neowin and Neowin still loads fine.  It looks weird without the ads to be honest!

#3 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:51

That's because you're logged in, as I said there are no changes for members ;)

#4 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:56

Again, what part of "don't gloat about blocking ads" do you people not understand? Thread cleaned.

#5 Jeston

Jeston

Neowinian Senior

• 3,792 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:58

Don't forget to Subscribe2 to get rid of ads the right way :)

#6 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,484 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:06

Same thing happened for me on our site (which runs IPB). We moved a few odds and sods around and it turns out Nexus uses the class 'Ad' in one of it's divs which made half the site vanish to those using an add block. To those people i said i'm not reworking our whole site around your shody blocking software, you have two choices 1) Stop blocking ads, we only show relevent and only a few so deal and 2) Buy a membership that removes ads, it's literately pittance (£20 a year) most people spend more in the pub in on night!.

#7 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:06

I admit there was a problem with the main page ad, which I've now fixed. It was a long day yesterday :s

#8 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• 12,918 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:09

I admit there was a problem with the main page ad, which I've now fixed. It was a long day yesterday :s

I bet! I've found that a few beers will help end a "long day"  :p

#9 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:11

Same thing happened for me on our site (which runs IPB). We moved a few odds and sods around and it turns out Nexus uses the class 'Ad' in one of it's divs which made half the site vanish to those using an add block. To those people i said i'm not reworking our whole site around your shody blocking software, you have two choices 1) Stop blocking ads, we only show relevent and only a few so deal and 2) Buy a membership that removes ads, it's literately pittance (£20 a year) most people spend more in the pub in on night!.

Yeah ours is $28 a year to remove all ads (with a few perks).

#10 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• 12,918 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:13

"A few perks" that's an understatement and frankly I'm appalled. :rofl:

#11 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

• 5,369 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:17

"A few perks" that's an understatement and frankly I'm appalled. :rofl:

Really? :/

#12 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,484 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:17

Yeah ours is $28 a year to remove all ads (with a few perks).

So about 5 pence a day? Strange to imagine that some people find that two much for something that they can spend most of their week on.

I've never understood ad blocking software, it hurts the sites you love and if, like me, you don't use any, you soon become immune to ads anyway, i honestly can't tell you what ads are doing the rounds at the moment purely because i no longer notice them.

#13 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:20

There's an area of this forum for subscribers that's, lets say, a little more relaxed than Members Metropolis.

So about 5 pence a day? Strange to imagine that some people find that two much for something that they can spend most of their week on.

I've never understood ad blocking software, it hurts the sites you love and if, like me, you don't use any, you soon become immune to ads anyway, i honestly can't tell you what ads are doing the rounds at the moment purely because i no longer notice the

I try to get on complaints about ads straight away and usually they are resolved very quickly too. The whole point is to have an experience here where the ads aren't intrusive (pop ups, pop unders etc) we offload a lot to guests, and I keep saying that registering makes for a better experience anyway.

#14 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• 12,918 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:20

There's an area of this forum for subscribers that's, lets say, is much more glorious than Members Metropolis.

Fixed that for ya, bud. :)

#15 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• 1,247 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:21

We don't actively target adblock users through site code at all, we just don't like people gloating about using it in our forums;

Why don't you do it? You should do it cause those are thieves.

Declaimer: I once blocked ads on neowin because of some annoying ad making high volume annoying sounds. They removed it and I removed the block too.