Photo

Can anyone recommend an Android phone to meet my needs?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Daedroth

Daedroth

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:14

I currently have a HTC Windows Phone 8S, which I dropped and have a nice crack on the screen, which I fear will only cause the display to develop faults. I like the Windows Phone 8 operating system, but it has a lot of niggles that annoy me. So I'm looking for a replacement phone, specifically Android based, as iOS is out of my price range. I'm specifically a second hand replacement. My budget is around £100 in the second hand market, but I don't know what Android phones are decent. I mainly text, call and browse the web, but sometimes like to play games and listen to music.

Basic requirements:

• Decent screen size, comparable to the 8S (4" display)
  • Good keyboard (The 8S, imo, has a great virtual keyboard, and the autocorrect is brilliant)
  • Good web browser
  • Good at basic games, such as Angry Birds, etc (I don't do much gaming on my phone)
  • Decent for playing music

The new HTC One Mini looks nice, but it's going to be a little expensive!

#2 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:28

those criteria were met with basically any phone that released after Q2 2012. Google is the king of the web so to speak, so any android phone would be stellar for web browsing. They also have several keyboards you can install on the market, swype, google keyboard, thumbkeyboard, swiftkey to name a few.

I personally love the HTC one and Samsungs Galaxy line - depending if you want swappable battery/larger screen/memory card, or smaller more fitting phone with no expansion abilities. Don't let the UltraPixel camera fool you either. Its good enough especially in low light conditions.

#3 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:06

May want to hold of a little.  New Nexus devices will be announced soon as hopefully more info on the Moto X.

#4 OP Daedroth

Daedroth

Neowinian

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:19

May want to hold of a little.  New Nexus devices will be announced soon as hopefully more info on the Moto X.

But the thing is those devices are going to be expensive, I'm only looking at the £100, probably the second hand range.

#5 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:23

But the thing is those devices are going to be expensive, I'm only looking at the £100, probably the second hand range.

Some HTC devices my be that range...or get a refurbed S2 or Galaxy Nexus device.  I still use my GNEX and it works great.

#6 Shahrad

Shahrad

IT Consultant

• Phone: LG G2

Posted 19 July 2013 - 15:21

All the new ones will be.

Your best bet is to go for a phone 3 years old and more.

Nexus S, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC Desire S, Motorolla Droid RAZR.

Check prices for these, should be cheap, don't expect software updates though!

#7 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 19 July 2013 - 15:35

I'd get the GT-I9100 which is the Samsung Galaxy S2. Great phone and running JellyBean on it now. Still keep my old one as a backup but GF keeps eying it :p

#8 HellboundIRL

HellboundIRL

Neowinian

Posted 19 July 2013 - 16:29

+1 to the s2 recommendation but I'd also recommend looking at the original galaxy note too if size doesn't bother you.

#9 Earthworm_Jim

Earthworm_Jim

GROOVY_!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 July 2013 - 17:06

Samsung Galaxy S2

#10 Aljynx

Aljynx

Neowinian

Posted 23 July 2013 - 14:31

browse through "Sony ericsson"

phones so far thats what im using for long... for the same purpose liek yours what i like about it is that i can also manage my Finance every month. camera resolution is consistent good as well as for music. :)

#11 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 23 July 2013 - 14:50

If I may be so bold, if you're not looking for the absolute latest flagship device, the Samsung Galaxy S3 or S3 min, or the LG Optimus rangei might suit your needs

Also I think Some Nexus devices might suffice, or the Sony xperia z, u, or go models, but those are more lower end

If indeed you want a flagship, then the new Galaxy Note, S4 or S4 mini Sony Experia Z or HTC do some great ones

#12 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 14:15

S2? Why go THAT far back? The One X+ or the S3 are still very capable phones and seem to fit what you're looking for. Unless you're saying 4.7" is too big? And do you mean that as a no contract price, because that's a little more difficult.

#13 OP Daedroth

Daedroth

Neowinian

Posted 24 July 2013 - 19:25

Thanks for all the advise, it's been really insightful. :)

S2? Why go THAT far back? The One X+ or the S3 are still very capable phones and seem to fit what you're looking for. Unless you're saying 4.7" is too big? And do you mean that as a no contract price, because that's a little more difficult.

I'm already on a contract, but the HTC Windows Phone 8S that I got with part of the contract has a large crack on the screen, and also I no longer like Windows Phone 8 as an OS. So I'm looking for a phone I can put my current SIM in. 4.7" is probably on the large size.

#14 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 24 July 2013 - 19:30

Samsung Galaxy S4 > All other phones in the universe

#15 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 24 July 2013 - 19:37

Highly recommend the Galaxy S4.. If you get one and are on a GSM carrier, I recommand getting the T-Mobile version since it is identical hardware to the Google Play Edition. Also, it doesn't have a locked bootloader.. You can flash the GE Rom easily on it with no issues.. Just unlock the phone one time (super easy and free, I can help you).. It is amazing.. Also, there are plenty of other ROMs for the phone..