Laptop will no longer boot into Windows 8

I left a game of the Sims 3 Paused for a few hours and when I came back my laptop had this on screen.

20130721_185719.jpg

I tried reinstalling Windows 8 but it kepy saying that either the hard drive is locked, or the parition doesn't exisit.  Also my laptop is making a strange noise when I boot it up.   I don't know why this happened.

Can anyone help me?

From the info you have provided it seems your Hard Drive has failed.

Run a disk diagnostic on it. Is the drive likely to be under warranty?

Laptop on strike until you load Windows 7  :D

but seriously, yeah I had this kind of message before, hard drive kaput. Experienced this horror myself.

Can you hear any noises/clicking coming off inside the laptop?

sounds like hard drive probably hit the bucket. do you have a spare you can swap and try it out?

Yeah you can swap it out but the problem is you will have to call MS for a new product key for Windows 8..   

I had hard drive failure and changed the hard drive then load win 8 but the key won't go through ...  it will ask you to get a new key... so I decided to put Windows 7 back in. I will get Windows 8 key as soon as the final version of 8.1 comes out. 

What's the make/model/age of the laptop? It may have built-in diagnostics accessible from the BIOS boot screen (like DELL).

Yeah there was a strange noise coming from the hard drive. Is it possible that the heat might have done it?

Laptop on strike until you load Windows 7 :D

but seriously, yeah I had this kind of message before, hard drive kaput. Experienced this horror myself.

Yeah I can. Sadly I cannot replace the hard drive so we've had to take it back to the shop.

Laptop on strike until you load Windows 7 :D

Yeah I can. Sadly I cannot replace the hard drive so we've had to take it back to the shop.

What's the make/model/age of the laptop? It may have built-in diagnostics accessible from the BIOS boot screen (like DELL).

If I remember correctly it was an Acer V3-531, as I said if I remember correctly.  It used to be on Windows 7 but I upgraded to WIndows 8 Pro.   Now that I've used Windows 8 for a while, I might not go back to it, as I just didn't like it that much compared to Windows 7.

this is a clear case of hard drive failure I'm afraid. If you had a game paused for several hours it may have simply gotten too warm.