Photo

HELP cant do homework laptop getting slow!

win7

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 _Heavens

_Heavens

YOLO Gangsta Prinzes

• Phone: O+ 8.91

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:13

pleaze help, my thinkpad edge lappy is very laggy, is there any app that i can use to speed it up?

#2 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:17

Spybot Search and destroy (free)

Registry Mechanic (paid app)

Defrag (stock in windows)

Disc Cleanup (stock in windows, least it is in win7)

Malware Bytes (available as both free and paid)

use %temp% and delete everything that can be deleted in that folder

There's more but that was all I could remember off the top of my head

#3 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:18

It might be an idea if you could provide more information.
  • Did your slowdown just suddenly start happening, or has it deteriorated over time?
  • How many background applications are running on average when you start your computer?
  • What are your computer's specs?
  • How old is the laptop?
  • What sort of homework is it?
The reason for the last question is because if you're homework requires something resource intensive then you may not be able to do anything about the issue until you've upgraded the internals. If on the other hand it is slow just for opening a word document, there may be other things we can look at before thinking about hardware upgrades.

#4 OP _Heavens

_Heavens

YOLO Gangsta Prinzes

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:25

It might be an idea if you could provide more information.

• Did your slowdown just suddenly start happening, or has it deteriorated over time?
  • How many background applications are running on average when you start your computer?
  • What are your computer's specs?
  • How old is the laptop?
  • What sort of homework is it?
The reason for the last question is because if you're homework requires something resource intensive then you may not be able to do anything about the issue until you've upgraded the internals. If on the other hand it is slow just for opening a word document, there may be other things we can look at before thinking about hardware upgrades.

My homework is usually in word or pdf. usually, the apps on are XWidget, Chrome(max 10tabs) and Word. This laptop was given by my dads office to us about 2-3 years ago. SPecs: 1.33ghz intel i3 2GB ram. It has deteriorated over time.

#5 manroweb

manroweb

Lover of all things tech

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:27

It would definitely be worth doing some housekeeping to clean up temp files, and clean up any malware etc, but I would suspect it is low on RAM.

Can you post a screen shot of task manager's performance tab?

#6 OP _Heavens

_Heavens

YOLO Gangsta Prinzes

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:40

It would definitely be worth doing some housekeeping to clean up temp files, and clean up any malware etc, but I would suspect it is low on RAM.

Can you post a screen shot of task manager's performance tab?

RfKNcW6.png

#7 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:52

95 freaking processes!! Is it any wonder it's slow? 10 tabs also. Sheesh!! Never have figured out why any one needs more than maybe 3 tabs, at the most, open at once. How many things can you look at or listen to, at once?

Crapcleaner is a must have tool for cleaning junk and the registry. DO NOT use what Dushmany recommended!!

Get the slim version, http://www.piriform....ccleaner/builds

Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware are a couple of must have's also and I BET you need them!!

http://www.malwareby...warebytes_free/

http://superantispyware.com/

#8 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:55

95 freaking processes!! Is it any wonder it's slow? 

Crapcleaner is amust have tool for cleaning junk and the registry. DO NOT use what Dushmany recommended!!

What's wrong with having 95 processes? Some people are multi-taskers, and if your computer has enough RAM/horsepower to support it, 95 processes isn't bad. It depends on what you have running. 

#9 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:58

Remember to clean the vents using an air canister too.

#10 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:59

95 freaking processes!! Is it any wonder it's slow? 10 tabs also. Sheesh!! Never have figured out why any one needs more than maybe 3 tabs, at the most, open at once. How many things can you look at or listen to, at once?

Crapcleaner is a must have tool for cleaning junk and the registry. DO NOT use what Dushmany recommended!!

What's wrong with whichever recommendation you disagree with? I use these once every 2 or 3 months, no viruses, no slowdowns from what I can tell, my 11 year old pc is clean and running smooth...

Please explain, as if you know of something better than what I've listed I would be interested in getting it also.

#11 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 22 July 2013 - 13:05

95 processes isn't high. Most Windows processes take up hardly any processor time because they're just sitting there waiting for an event to occur. My computer currently has 51 running and all I have open is a web browser and Steam running in the background.

I would run a full scan with MalwareBytes or at least Microsoft Security Essentials to make sure nothing naughty has made it's way in as a first step.

#12 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 13:37

What's wrong with having 95 processes? Some people are multi-taskers, and if your computer has enough RAM/horsepower to support it, 95 processes isn't bad. It depends on what you have running. 

I think it was mostly to dig at me.

My Dual Core has 74 Processes running at the moment, and is at idle

#13 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 22 July 2013 - 13:41

[Thread cleaned]

Please don't post comments that won't help resolve the issue. ;)

#14 manroweb

manroweb

Lover of all things tech

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 July 2013 - 18:16

I would definitely run ccleaner, malwarebytes and possibly spybot, in that order ( all have free versions ).

My initial thoughts about being low on RAM were correct. Run the above, and also show us a screenshot of the processes tab in task manager, in case we can spot anything out of the ordinary.

There is nothing wrong with any of the suggestions that have been mentioned. Everyone has different tools to do similar jobs.

#15 neo158

neo158

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 July 2013 - 20:00

Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware are a couple of must have's also and I BET you need them!!

http://www.malwareby...warebytes_free/

http://superantispyware.com/

If you think 95 processes is a lot then you don't want to see that my PC has 104 processes. The difference is that my desktop has the RAM and horsepower to handle it.

In the OP case the low amount of RAM is certainly a bottleneck.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!