65 replies to this topic

#1 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,156 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 22 July 2013 - 13:29

Gmail-ads-2013-07-22_1_610x392.jpg

Google has begun including advertisements as e-mail messages in some Gmail users' inboxes, a new step in the company's effort to turn its free services into revenue sources.

The company has shown ads alongside Gmail messages for years, but these ads appear as messages that can be opened like e-mails and forwarded to others, according to Gmail users who started seeing them last week.

More: http://news.cnet.com...-gmail-inboxes/

#2 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,527 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 13:30

Wow, just wow

The company has shown ads alongside Gmail messages for years, but these ads appear as messages that can be opened like e-mails and forwarded to others, according to Gmail users who started seeing them last week.

Sorry, at first glance that read as an email virus to me

#3 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,650 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 22 July 2013 - 13:35

I'd add this to my list of reasons not to use Gmail, but I ran out of room to write on that sheet of paper a long time ago.

#4 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,220 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 22 July 2013 - 13:36

Just another reason why I only use webmail accounts to register for forums and such, never look at them otherwise.. even bigger spam magnet now.  Although I am thankful for them, they do help keep my real mail account spam free.

#5 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,383 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 13:41

Oh please.

#6 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,318 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 13:50

I just checked and I haven't received anything like this yet. Would there not be a way to flag such messages as spam so that they don't appear in the Inbox? Or are they not really emails at all?

#7 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,650 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 22 July 2013 - 13:54

I just checked and I haven't received anything like this yet. Would there not be a way to flag such messages as spam so that they don't appear in the Inbox? Or are they not really emails at all?

They aren't actually emails you receive, they're just spliced into the Gmail web UI disguised as emails.

#8 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,318 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 13:58

They aren't actually emails you receive, they're just spliced into the Gmail web UI disguised as emails.

Ah right, cheers. (Y)

And I notice in the screenshot that there is a link to Ad Settings. Can that not be accessed to say, "I don't want to receive adverts like emails"?

#9 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,414 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 13:58

I hope this only applies when you have the tabs enabled (I don't), see how that tab is labeled "Promotions"? ;) But bad move Google, there are enough people who don't understand the basics of email already!

#10 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,220 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:00

I hope this only applies when you have the tabs enabled (I don't), see how that tab is labeled "Promotions"? ;) But bad move Google, there are enough people who don't understand the basics of email already!

Was curious about that too, I don't really use GMail aside from the occasional forum signup but I did disable the promotions and social tab, got it back to the older layout.. wonder if it'll hide them or just show these ads in the main mail window.

#11 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,067 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:08

I checked mine and while I don't have direct ads, all the people who keep sending me advertising spam that I haven't blocked have been filtered to there.

Not seeing a problem unless people don't know how to tell a difference...

In which case, tehy would have clicked on it whether there was multiple tabs or not.

#12 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,414 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:11

The problem is that ads now look like emails ;)

#13 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,067 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:15

The problem is that ads now look like emails ;)

Yeah but if they can't tell the difference, they would have clicked on it regardless of the UI change IMO.

Plus the tooltip links you to ad settings to opt out of interest based ads, which I am pretty sure are the ones you see there (from Google anyway).

#14 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,840 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:18

So, opt out of the ads in Ad Setting and problem solved.  The screenshot in the OP even says that.  So opt out of interested based ads.

#15 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• 1,705 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:21

So, opt out of the ads in Ad Setting and problem solved.

Yep, opt out of Gmail. Problem solved.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!