Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:22

pop3 FTW!

#18 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,630 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:27

Ah right, cheers. (Y)

And I notice in the screenshot that there is a link to Ad Settings. Can that not be accessed to say, "I don't want to receive adverts like emails"?

Yes, opt out of Interested Based Ads in Ad Settings.

Just something for more people to wine and complain about.  If Google didnt give you a way to OPT out, I would be bitching along with everyone else.

Not to mention if you dont use the new stupid promotions tab....non issue.

And nice topic change from the source link.  /s..... :rolleyes:

#19 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,068 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:46

I don't have any ads like that.  I dropped hotmail as soon as I got my GMail Invite back when you got 3 invites per account. I don't see myself switching from GMail any time in the near.. or distant future.

#20 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,343 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:51

this is why I don't use gmail. Im using IE11 on W8.1. I log in, it redirects me to the HTML version,then tells me to upgrade my browser to a modern browser, Chrome. ###### off

#21 Knive Party

Knive Party

To Death

• 5,335 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 15:36

One more reason NOT to use Outlook :)

It was only a matter of time I guess..... /s 

#22 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,696 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 22 July 2013 - 15:57

this is why I don't use gmail. Im using IE11 on W8.1. I log in, it redirects me to the HTML version,then tells me to upgrade my browser to a modern browser, Chrome. **** off

Agreed. Really don't appreciate being told what to use.

#23 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:18

Nothing is free in life. Someone has to pay for things. I honestly never look at ads. 

#24 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 11,113 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:36

Nothing is free in life. Someone has to pay for things. I honestly never look at ads.

Sure but ads as email is ridiculous. We have that, its called spam, and nobody likes it.

But it is a free service, so you either deal with it or move on I guess. Not much different than all the ads I see as news feed posts on facebook.

#25 Knive Party

Knive Party

To Death

• 5,335 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:46

Sure but ads as email is ridiculous. We have that, its called spam, and nobody likes it.

But it is a free service, so you either deal with it or move on I guess. Not much different than all the ads I see as news feed posts on facebook.

Yes you are right, it's also not much different when MS spams me repeatedly about their offers, products,  failure surface and Office 365 software! Its totally not the same "spam" concept you speak of. Google is t he devil; first they give us an amazing Gmail experience, now they subtly advertise with options and in settings to opt out, oh the torture of a good service /s  :rolleyes:

#26 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,696 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:48

There's a fine line in advertising, one Google crosses quite often. When your ads have the potential to get in user's way, that's when you know you've crossed that line.

#27 Knive Party

Knive Party

To Death

• 5,335 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:53

There's a fine line in advertising, one Google crosses quite often. When your ads have the potential to get in user's way, that's when you know you've crossed that line.

MS fan boy Dot Matrix speaks the truth, he speaks for all Gmail users, eventhough he probably doesn't even use it, or ever will. What a great piece of wisdom there /s Quickly let's all switch to Outlook and live in la-la land, where Ads are just "right", the experience is "super" and nothing ever goes wrong. Hoora /s

#28 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 11,113 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:04

Yes you are right, it's also not much different when MS spams me repeatedly about their offers, products, failure surface and Office 365 software! Its totally not the same "spam" concept you speak of. Google is t he devil; first they give us an amazing Gmail experience, now they subtly advertise with options and in settings to opt out, oh the torture of a good service /s :rolleyes:

Anything legitimate to add, or do you just wanna /s all day as of it makes you cool...

#29 Knive Party

Knive Party

To Death

• 5,335 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:13

Anything legitimate to add, or do you just wanna /s all day as of it makes you cool...

How funny ! /s Why is it that almost "always" its Spenser, Bajirav, VCfan, Dot Matrix & Siah that come troll google treads with uninformed/stupid comments? For the pure sake of making Google look bad, whilst praising the oh so glory of MS? #Just saying (its so common by now). It's getting old  ...

#30 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,870 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:54

As long as they only show up in the "promotions tab" as indicated in that screenshot, I couldn't care less. I really like the new tabs feature too, does a good job of getting all the crap that technically isn't spam out of my main inbox.

But I guess google bashing is the "in" thing right now :p

this is why I don't use gmail. Im using IE11 on W8.1. I log in, it redirects me to the HTML version,then tells me to upgrade my browser to a modern browser, Chrome. **** off

You are using a pre-release browser, you are being ridiculous. I'm sure when IE11 comes out final it will work properly.