• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,232 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 24 July 2013 - 15:27

Have not seen one of these ads yet and i use Gmail for my personal email as well as hosting my other email accounts as well.

#62 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,652 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 15:30

upholding their do no evil mantra, I'm sure they had honest intentions ;)

The message to upgrade your browser comes up on a lot of sites when new versions of IE are released/in testing.  This is nothing new that has been going on for a long long time.  The only difference here is that on Google sites, you are advised to use Chrome.  God forbid Google pushes their own browser on their own sites.

The only issue here is people looking for something else to rag on Google about.

#63 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,258 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 24 July 2013 - 18:08

But they DO send garbage code to the browser. The "light" version of OWA is totally crippled compared to the full version, and its forced on the linux version of chrome for no reason. How is gmail forcing a crippled light version on IE11 "sending garbage code", yet Microsoft doing the same thing to chrome is not? The real difference is that IE11 isn't even released yet. There is a 99.99% chance when the final IE11 comes out it will work in gmail just fine, because google would be insane to alienate IE users... On the other hand Microsoft is doing it to a stable release of a browser just because of the operating system its running on (which makes no sense because chrome on linux render's the same as chrome on windows, because its the same browser).

I'm definitely not saying google is perfect or "not evil", but cuddling up to microsoft as if they are "Morally Superior" to google is ridiculous, because microsoft does the same things.

Crippled/light version is not garbage code. in compariosn the code google sendt actually broke spreadsheets and documents. 

a light version of a webpage with lesser features is not garbage code. 

and I didn't cuddle up I said they should have done it correctly as well. still they're not as bad as google are, at this point in time. 

The message to upgrade your browser comes up on a lot of sites when new versions of IE are released/in testing.  This is nothing new that has been going on for a long long time.  The only difference here is that on Google sites, you are advised to use Chrome.  God forbid Google pushes their own browser on their own sites.

The only issue here is people looking for something else to rag on Google about.

That wasn't what I was referring to there, but anyway. sure they can spam their own browser. of course they'l have to answer to EU for it as well as users annoyed by the annoying banner. 

#64 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,652 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 18:15

sure they can spam their own browser. of course they'l have to answer to EU for it as well as users annoyed by the annoying banner. 

Why?  The message to use Chrome only shows up on their sites for browsers not yet compatible.

Google advertising its own products on its own site.  Seems like the EU should be after every company the if they have a problem with it.

#65 blade1269

blade1269

Jesus Saved me! A Christian!

• 1,725 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 18:36

Everybody should send it back too google, as spam report.. Haha

#66 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,361 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:52

Gotta love everyone still bashing Gmail when quite a few people pointed out you can disable it.

I opted out ads ages ago and have NEVER seen these things. Typical making-a-mountain-out-of-a-molehill of fanboys.