Photo

More kids hurt by falling TVs

usa every 45 minutes head and neck old crt televisions child injury prevention

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 12,072 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:59

Our TV is on the wall.  Kids cannot touch it at all.  We only have one tv in the house.  I do not want tvs in the bedrooms or rec room. 

I guess before tvs were too heavy to move. Now with flat screens being lighter easier to bump them and fall.

Agreed, but in this instance, I would ask why are they playing near the TV, my kids are allowed to play anywhere in the house where there isn't a danger to them hurting themselves, or in the garden, where they should know better than to play with something that can hurt them. (by this I mean a broken fence panel with exposed nails and such)

#17 norseman

norseman

Linux and Windows Admin

• 1,116 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 15:07

Umm...a flatscreen is MUCH more likely to fall on a kid than old bigass CRTs.  Flatscreens are much less stable.

I bet most of the accidents are the result of poorly secured flatscreens.

This is why I mount my TV on the wall...

#18 Sszecret

Sszecret

Neowinian

• 885 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 800

Posted 22 July 2013 - 15:15

"When (the TVs) start coming toward them, they don't realize the danger". Am I the only one who, upon reading this, imagined a Doctor-Who type situation? 

The solution would be to either mount your TV into the wall or just not let the kid too close to the TV.  Or maybe have a separate playroom for the kid?

#19 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,504 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 15:22

This is why I mount my TV on the wall...

Maybe mounting the kid on the wall would work better. :shifty:

#20 medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• 506 posts
  • OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 22 July 2013 - 15:24

weird, I recall very few cases during my 6 years in Emergency Medicine

#21 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,721 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:46

Agreed, but in this instance, I would ask why are they playing near the TV, my kids are allowed to play anywhere in the house where there isn't a danger to them hurting themselves, or in the garden, where they should know better than to play with something that can hurt them. (by this I mean a broken fence panel with exposed nails and such)

kids will be kids.  Can't always keep the kids from danger.  Remember not everyone has a big house or apt.  Family rooms are multi purpose in some instances. 

The solution would be to either mount your TV into the wall or just not let the kid too close to the TV.  Or maybe have a separate playroom for the kid?

I would agree with you but not everyone has a big house.  We only have a 1000sq house with 4 people in it.  To get a bigger house with separate room would cost 500k plus. 

#22 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 12,072 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:58

kids will be kids.  Can't always keep the kids from danger.  Remember not everyone has a big house or apt.  Family rooms are multi purpose in some instances. 

No I mean move have a sit down and talk to the kids, tell them why it's dangerous, my house isn't big neither, nor is my garden, (though I have no idea how big it actually is in square footage)

#23 +DonC

DonC

Neowinian

• 1,041 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 13:15

When I first read the article, I thought it was about TVs getting chucked out of windows onto people on the street.

But yeah, if the flat-screen TV is free standing and heavy then get it strapped.