PS4 continually records the last 15 minutes of gameplay, Sony clarifies

PlayStation 4 will continually record 15 minutes of gameplay data in the background for users to capture and publish online, a spokesperson for the company has confirmed to CVG.

Confusion surrounding the length of the recording process arose when Neil Brown, head of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's R&D group, said earlier this month that PS4 uses a dedicated hardware encoder to continually record the last "several minutes" of gameplay footage.

This claim was misheard and led to some reports suggesting PS4 captures "seven" minutes of gameplay data, while other articles claimed the console records "several minutes". But on Monday a spokesperson for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe told CVG PS4 will continually record 15 minutes of gameplay data, as initially reported.

Recorded PS4 data can be brought up using the DualShock 4's Share Button, allowing player to edit and crop footage and share it across the PlayStation Network via Ustream.

Microsoft has revealed that the Xbox One will automatically record five minutes of gameplay and allow users to share that data across Xbox Live and social networks.

Ken Lobb, creative director at Microsoft Game Studios, said over the weekend that the gameplay recording initiative is internally called "Project Upload".

"So the idea is that you're always recording. We have a ring buffer game DVR basically, so the last five minutes of any game you're playing is always being stored locally on your hard drive," he said.

"Let me give you two scenarios. Scenario one: I'm playing online and I just did the best thing ever. I can't pause [because] I'm playing online. You can say 'Xbox, record that', it'll grab the last 30 seconds and save it for you to play with later.

"So now let's say you're not playing online and you do the best combo or you have the best fight ever," Lobb continued.

"You can finish after that fight, that thing you just did is within the last five minutes, you can go into that last five minutes and scrub it for the best stuff - I want that four seconds and this ten seconds and this 30 seconds and then I want that ultra combo.

"We have things, basically a wrapper, so you can put up something that comes before and after, the [example] video we showed said 'best of Evo', and you can also if you'd like voiceover and even put in some stuff from the Kinect camera, do picture-in-picture."

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/420108/ps4-continually-records-the-last-15-minutes-of-gameplay-sony-clarifies/

Great, I've had some awesome 'fluke' moments in games such as Need for Speed Most Wanted, for one example

Now I can upload my moments and gloat against my friends  :p (Note, they do this to me so I don't see why not)

Wasn't this known since the reveal ?

I think people were mixing up, the time frame of the recordings... 

A feature on either console I have absolutely no interest in ever using, a complete and utter waste of time

A feature on either console I have absolutely no interest in ever using, a complete and utter waste of time*

*for you

Sharing game footage, matches, bloopers/bugs, tournaments etc. is actually becoming pretty popular. Nintendo even jumped in recently playing the kill joy rambling about copyrights. (Another example of how out-of-touch Ninty is)

With the consoles going HDMI only and HDCP encryption, it offers a workaround to having to mess around with capture cards and expensive DRM solutions.

Capture cards aren't exactly cheap as chips for some either.

I think some will still use Capture cards, as the article says "Last" 15 mins of gameplay.  I think people would like more control over when they record and how long they record for, and will this allow us to upload videos to YouTube?

I think some will still use Capture cards, as the article says "Last" 15 mins of gameplay.  I think people would like more control over when they record and how long they record for, and will this allow us to upload videos to YouTube?

Yeah.

There is also continuous streaming to Ustream for times you want longer than 15 minutes.

*for you

Sharing game footage, matches, bloopers/bugs, tournaments etc. is actually becoming pretty popular. Nintendo even jumped in recently playing the kill joy rambling about copyrights. (Another example of how out-of-touch Ninty is)

Some people have actually turned that to be their primary source of income, as weird as it might seem.

Sony is playing a spec sheet trick game on everyone though.

Yes it records the last 15 minutes of gameplay. But that's not how much you can share MS records the last 5 minutes and as I recall you can upload 30 second clips ? S far stony hasn't actually said how long clips you can share...

Sony is playing a spec sheet trick game on everyone though.

Yes it records the last 15 minutes of gameplay. But that's not how much you can share MS records the last 5 minutes and as I recall you can upload 30 second clips ? S far stony hasn't actually said how long clips you can share...

Seriously? .....

Killzone Shadow Fall - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=113171115535029 7 minutes 51 seconds.

It's the full 15 minutes. That video was shared live at the February event. Why would you record 15 minutes and then not be able to share it all?  :laugh:

why ? well partly because Sony want to have higher meaningless numbers than MS, but more importantly because people don't hit the share button right away, they finnish playing the sequence, hit share. get the editor windows and cut out the window they want to share form the last 15 minute buffer. 

why ? well partly because Sony want to have higher meaningless numbers than MS, but more importantly because people don't hit the share button right away, they finnish playing the sequence, hit share. get the editor windows and cut out the window they want to share form the last 15 minute buffer. 

So, how is recording 15 instead of 5 minutes not a good thing? Seems like it will make cutting together a highlight reel that much easier.

So really you're insecure about something being better/higher/longer on Sony's console.