Set global mouse pointer theme in Linux

Have you ever changed your mouse pointer on your Linux box only to find out it it doesn't change the lockscreen pointer? What about those times when you hover over a specific window type and it changes back to the ugly default pointer?

Not any more! Follow this easy step by step guide to solve this issue! For reference, this works perfectly under OpenSuse 12.3 x64 [KDE Version].

1. Open up a terminal and type kdesu kwrite

- If you are using a different distro or DE, sudo gedit should work fine.

- type your root password

2. Go to File -> Open and navigate to /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager and open it up.

3. Find the line that says X_MOUSE_CURSOR="foobar_placeholder"

- Where "foobar_placeholder" is the name of your mouse pointer. Make sure you use the correct name!

- For example, "Oxygen White" is really "Oxygen_White" or Oxygen Zion is "Oxygen_Zion" you can view installed cursors in /usr/share/icons/

4. Save. Close all Apps. Reboot.

5. Is it fixed? It should be! Need help? Comment below or PM me. Did my post help you? Thank me by clicking the like button. (Y)

Can I maybe get a mod to pin this guide? It seems to be a fairly widespread issue with this version of X.

This tip will not work on all systems. /etc/sysconfig is only present on Red Hat and SUSE based distributions. It depends heavily on how your distribution packages X, and the extent to which it is respected depends somewhat on your desktop environment. That said, it should work perfectly on Fedora and SUSE systems with KDE. Thanks for the tip!

This tip will not work on all systems. /etc/sysconfig is only present on Red Hat and SUSE based distributions. It depends heavily on how your distribution packages X, and the extent to which it is respected depends somewhat on your desktop environment. That said, it should work perfectly on Fedora and SUSE systems with KDE. Thanks for the tip!

Interesting, I was not aware of that. Thanks for the info xorange.