PS4 Architect Mark Cerny: Cloud won't work well to boost graphics

Not a single source you or anyone here have posted has any substance which suggest the 'cloud' will improve graphics.

The source you posted says that AI will be smarter, water will stimulate wave moves based on other players and the city reacts to you. I know these are the benefits of the cloud.

If the Xbox One is using the cloud to boost games, then that is TECHINCALLY always online.  As if you want the "Full" experience of the game, you need to have the cloud calculate some stuff, yet what if your internet goes down? What if Xbox Live goes down?   Has no one thought of this?

I'm not saying that the PS4 is bad because it doesn't have cloud support, but because of this PS4 games should (in theory) not require an internet connection to experience the "Full" game.

Not a single source you or anyone here have posted has any substance which suggest the 'cloud' will improve graphics.

The source you posted says that AI will be smarter, water will stimulate wave moves based on other players and the city reacts to you. I know these are the benefits of the cloud.

It's the logical assumption though.  If developers can offload other tasks to the cloud that would normally be done by the hardware, the physical hardware has more resources to beef up the graphics.  The end result (improved graphics) is a benefit of cloud processing, even if not a direct benefit.  You're arguing semantics at this point.

XB1 has X amount of processing capacity.

A game requires Y+Z for processing.

If Z can be offloaded without affecting game experience, a developer can choose to do it.

A traditional game will adjust Y+Z to fit within X.

An XB1 game will offload Z and will have the entire X for processing Y.

That's the whole ######ing point of "cloud" in XB1. Is it very hard to understand?

If the Xbox One is using the cloud to boost games, then that is TECHINCALLY always online.  As if you want the "Full" experience of the game, you need to have the cloud calculate some stuff, yet what if your internet goes down? What if Xbox Live goes down?   Has no one thought of this?

I'm not saying that the PS4 is bad because it doesn't have cloud support, but because of this PS4 games should (in theory) not require an internet connection to experience the "Full" game.

Seriously?

If your Internet goes down, you simply don't have the perks of the Cloud. Does that mean that since the PC/PS4 versions don't have the Cloud "perks" they are not "full" experiences?

You make absolutely no sense.

What? Are you just playing dumb?

The more you offload to the cloud, the more the machine can handle locally. Which means, better graphics. Then again, the way we'll see better graphics is more than likely going to be an improved FPS. Like what we're seeing already.

Seriously?

If your Internet goes down, you simply don't have the perks of the Cloud. Does that mean that since the PC/PS4 versions don't have the Cloud "perks" they are not "full" experiences?

You make absolutely no sense.

How do I not make any sense? I'm referring to the titles that make use of the cloud.  They're trying to boost graphics with the cloud, your internet goes down, the graphical fidelity and frame rate of the games goes down with it.  Hence it'll be a sub-par experience.  PS4 games don't use the cloud so there's no reason for developers to account for this loss, hence they can have high frame rates and full graphical fidelity on their games without people needing an internet connection.

How do I not make any sense? I'm referring to the titles that make use of the cloud.  They're trying to boost graphics with the cloud, your internet goes down, the graphical fidelity and frame rate of the games goes down with it.  Hence it'll be a sub-par experience.  PS4 games don't use the cloud so there's no reason for developers to account for this loss, hence they can have high frame rates and full graphical fidelity on their games without people needing an internet connection.

you dont get it. let me explain.

lets say theres a multiplatform game on ps4,and xbox one. with no internet connection,they run the same,graphically. But,when xbox detects an internet connection,it starts offloading things like lighting,physics,etc.. Suddenly,the gpu has more resources,and things start to look way better. When the internet cuts out,the game goes back to the way it normall it played offline. Therefore,with the cloud,the games look more advanced. Its already confirmed and its happening. The cloud is not being used to get xbox one games in parity,they are using the cloud to go beyond what other devices are capable of.

Looks like developers are already diving full-force into Xbox One?s promised cloud processing enhancements. Ubisoft says Xbox One?s Azure cloud servers will help make the game?s city AI more dynamic, allowing for an environment that responds in more sophisticated ways to players? actions. The added processing power also gives the team freedom to include more responsive NPCs on the city streets.

They?re also adding some subtle physics effects, such as water wakes that actually rock nearby boats as you jet by.

For example, we?re able to simulate the water in full 3D, if you go on a boat the waves that form will affect other boats. We?re also able to spend more time giving brains to the other people on the streets so that they can basically be smarter, and there can be more of them. It?s what I call dynamism; basically, the way the city reacts to you, we are able to push further on the Xbox One.

http://gengame.net/2013/07/xbox-one-cloud-processing-gives-watch-dogs-city-ai-more-dynamism/

the only thing i've seen mentioned and beat like a dead horse is

"While latency-sensitive actions will be handled by a user's Xbox One console, Microsoft claims its cloud architecture can pre-calculate elements like lighting and physics modeling, leading to increased in-game performance."

Of course there is lots of robustness on interactive worlds and dynamic / changing conditions based upon near real time user interacticity.

lighting and physics modeling can be terribly expensive and if you "cloud" enable that, that certainly does open up lots of opportunity to do other things with the always finite local resources.

I'm still not sure how sony doesn't see that as viable/possible or apparently not worthwhile.  The only safe thing to assume is that Sony didn't engineer for such  at all while Microsoft did and it will be up to the developers to prove the concept out.

All that being said, the "Cloud" is a huge enabler - an opportunity for people to challenge the status quo. It certainly isn't a hinderence.

Agreed.  The reason Sony doesn't see the point in the cloud like this is because as a company they aren't capable of doing this...  Aside from Microsoft really, who is??

Sony just would not be capable of getting these servers up and running to the extent necessary, the flexibility necessary, or the stability necessary.

So naturally, that means in their eyes that this is some sort of voodoo that can't possibly work.  LOL

And Microsoft showed an example where it was calculating location, trajectory, and match in the cloud for asteroids...  So, that's a really big deal if developers take advantage of it.

Seriously? Are you for real?

If you have a connection then you'll get added benefits because of that. If you don't have a connection then you'll have the game as normal, i.e. same as PS4. Is that so hard to understand?

Seriously? Are you for real?

If you have a connection then you'll get added benefits because of that. If you don't have a connection then you'll have the game as normal, i.e. same as PS4. Is that so hard to understand?

As much I'd love to believe that. I personally feel it's going to be an all-or-nothing scenario regarding cloud if its heavily implemented. Hopefully not though.

I am looking forward to when someone does double blind tests of cloud vs no cloud and we find out that people can't tell the ######ing difference.  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I am looking forward to when someone does double blind tests of cloud vs no cloud and we find out that people can't tell the ****ing difference.  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Who cares?

Cloud will add functionality, be it either graphical or with dedicated servers, that's a plus other consoles won't have. And that is what only matters. ;)

With cloud, the game exceeds as advertised...

Internet goes down, game goes back to "as advertised"