RAID5 Problems

Hello

The other day I arrived home and my RAID card was a constant beep. I knew it was going to be a bad day :(

Anyways, it seems that one of the drives has bad sectors. It is under warranty so Ill send it to Seagate. (BTW the RAID5 is 4x3TB)

Meanwhile, I bought a WD 3TB. My questions are the following:

1: The web management says that the drive is fine but the RAID itself is not fine. Also the RAID card's BIOS says the drive is degraded. We can pretty much confirm that the drive is bad, right?

2: The drives like I said are 3TB Seagates. I bought a WD 3TB since it was the only one avaliable. There should not be any problem since they are all 3TB right?

3: I should popout the bad Seagate and pop in the new WD and all should be fine, right? No formmating or setting up needed correct?

Thank you for this difficult time of (potential) data loss.

Contact the raid manufacturer on proper steps to bring a new disk into the raid set.  Many are automatic, but some have a manual process.

not knowing what card you have, I couldn't tell you how to do it, step by step and I am sure if you read the online manual it would tell you.

According to the description at newegg you are just supposed to swap out the drive.  It usually doesn't matter what size drive as long as it is bigger than the one replacing.  I would strongly suggest contacting highpoint. 

E-mail address:
support@highpoint-tech.com

Phone:
1-408-942-5800
9:00AM-5:00PM, Pacific Standard Time