Need Wordpress Crash Course ASAP!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Original Poster

Original Poster

C++ n00b

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 July 2013 - 21:11

hey all I just got a web dev job using wordpress? never used it before its just an edit and fix job... 

I need a accessing databases and displaying them crash course... maybe more soon (in wordpress obv)

and most of the basics :D any help would be great thanks! bullet point it for me ;D lol

just realised i derped and put it in the wrong thread.

#2 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 July 2013 - 21:18

Typing a thread title in all caps is lame. You are no more special than anyone else here.

You dig?

#3 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 July 2013 - 21:22

Read the wordpress codex and dev docs. They're are pretty good at describing the functions

Also you don't really access the DB as you would normally. Most of the database interaction is done through The Loop, WP_query and query_posts.

http://codex.wordpress.org/

http://codex.wordpre...r_Documentation

Also one of the most important things to understand is The Loop

http://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop

Have a look how it uses themes too, while you might not be doing big theme changes, you might find wordpress does a lot of the things you want automatically.

If you know PHP then you should pick up wordpress pretty quickly.

#4 OP Original Poster

Original Poster

C++ n00b

Posted 23 July 2013 - 22:10

Typing a thread title in all caps is lame. You are no more special than anyone else here.

You dig?

I am more special the doctor said so.

Read the wordpress codex and dev docs. They're are pretty good at describing the functions

Also you don't really access the DB as you would normally. Most of the database interaction is done through The Loop, WP_query and query_posts.

http://codex.wordpress.org/

http://codex.wordpre...r_Documentation

Also one of the most important things to understand is The Loop

http://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop

Have a look how it uses themes too, while you might not be doing big theme changes, you might find wordpress does a lot of the things you want automatically.

If you know PHP then you should pick up wordpress pretty quickly.

thanks! i hope it wont be to much of a cluster ... need to get this job done right its a big client 

#5 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:04

Sign up to Team Treehouse. Thats where I learn WordPress. It was pretty hard for me until I watch the video. They talk slow and make you feel like your retarded but I learn it really quick. You just need to know HTML and CSS and a little bit a Javascript.

http://referrals.trh...richardfeinburg

#6 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: WP8

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:16

When you learn how to use Wordpress you learn why you shouldn't use it.

#7 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:28

Here you go:
Loads of wordpress crash course links

#8 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:36

Sorry but most real web developers don't use wordpress. Sounds like someone lied in their interview and on their resume. I suggest grabbing a "wordpress for dummies" book at your local bookstore and get to crackin'

Here you go:
Loads of wordpress crash course links

Hmm...can't even google - i don't think he'll survive long at this gig.

#9 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:49

Best place to start is the WordPress codex as already stated.

It all depends on what you actually want to achieve but 90% of database work is done via 'The Loop'. http://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop

When you learn how to use Wordpress you learn why you shouldn't use it.

Sorry but most real web developers don't use wordpress. Sounds like someone lied in their interview and on their resume. I suggest grabbing a "wordpress for dummies" book at your local bookstore and get to crackin'

Hmm...can't even google - i don't think he'll survive long at this gig.

Ignore these two users. WordPress is one of the most powerful and flexible open source CMS systems available currently and is used by many large scale developer teams and companies. If you're looking for work in the web dev/des world then a good knowledge of WP is essential.

You can get a fair bit few WP questions answered here http://thewebdesignforum.co.uk/

#10 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:51

Typing a thread title in all caps is lame.

Agreed, it adds nothing to the content of the thread. As is usual, I've edited it to a more reasonable size.

#11 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:27

Yeah I mean its just the most popular CMS out there but it not for "real" web developers lol.

To the OP. Give us an idea of your current knowledge. Assuming you know HTML/CSS but do you know PHP/MYSQL and working with locally hosted dev environments?

WordPress is incredibly easy to get a basic site up and running with the basics, but you can do a lot more knowing the latter. 

#12 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:47

I am more special the doctor said so.

thanks! i hope it wont be to much of a cluster ... need to get this job done right its a big client 

Like i said, if you have a grasp of PHP then you should be fine. It isn't difficult at all. That's what makes it so popular. Plus the community.

#13 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:30

Read the Loop entry on the Wordpress codex, then read it again.

Wordpress is a perfectly good CMS, and will serve a lot of needs, and even works as a halfway not-terrible framework for general PHP sites. It gets a little hairy if you really want to dig into it, but it's no worse than say, Drupal, which can quickly become a bloated horrorshow of code, and 9 times out of 10 if you Google your issue, someone else has had it.

#14 OP Original Poster

Original Poster

C++ n00b

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:44

Read the Loop entry on the Wordpress codex, then read it again.

Wordpress is a perfectly good CMS, and will serve a lot of needs, and even works as a halfway not-terrible framework for general PHP sites. It gets a little hairy if you really want to dig into it, but it's no worse than say, Drupal, which can quickly become a bloated horrorshow of code, and 9 times out of 10 if you Google your issue, someone else has had it.

ive only ever used CMS I have written ;( my company would write CMS down to each individuals needs to keep it light weight ...so never used a frame work :p but i suppose I should and its time

#15 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 July 2013 - 13:04

ive only ever used CMS I have written ;( my company would write CMS down to each individuals needs to keep it light weight ...so never used a frame work :p but i suppose I should and its time

Lightweight is relative. Wordpress isn't a monolith of code (unlike Drupal, which, at its default install size, likes to throw not enough memory errors). Also, if you come up with a bespoke CMS and then the client says "hey, I want to add this to the page," with Wordpress you can just throw them a plugin that will do it.

I've said this in other threads, but if you're going to be doing a lot of database transactions (e.g. a job site or a real estate website, where you're pulling / sorting a lot of records with specifically curated entries), Wordpress is not ideal. Something like Drupal or a framework like Yii is better. Anything short of that, why not use Wordpress.