google android chrome launch press event

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#46 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,826 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 14:24

I just got a tracking notification for my Chromecast (ordered from Play store), it should be here Thursday according to UPS. I also got my Netflix 3 month code today via email. 

My Play order will be here Wednesday but I am sending it back.  Got it faster via Best Buy on Friday.  Got my Netflix code for BB and Play, tho I didnt redeem thru play since I am sending it back.  Chromecast went quick...sold out already.

#47 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,828 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 29 July 2013 - 14:28

I went to several Best Buy stores over the weekend in attempts to purchase one and after not finding one decided that it was not all that important as the only thing i have connected to my Television ( i do not have television service) is my PS3 which allows me to do nearly everything the chromecast can (except for share a browser tab, but it has a built in browser)

#48 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• 6,667 posts
  • OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 29 July 2013 - 14:33

I went to BestBuy Saturday myself to purchase one and they were out.. Said they sold out Friday night.. 

I have an AppleTV and all of the devices in my house are Apple, but I want one to take with me when I travel and for work as well. I mean this thing would be GREAT for Hotel rooms!!

Btw

http://www.appy-geek...icleid=11411692

#49 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,828 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 29 July 2013 - 14:40

I went to BestBuy Saturday myself to purchase one and they were out.. Said they sold out Friday night.. 

I have an AppleTV and all of the devices in my house are Apple, but I want one to take with me when I travel and for work as well. I mean this thing would be GREAT for Hotel rooms!!

Btw

http://www.appy-geek...icleid=11411692

The store i went to all told me that they did not have any, and did not expect to receive their first batch of them until sometime in late august.

They are smaller Best Buy stores and they are all in Rural Ohio.

#50 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,826 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 14:42

Yea. read that as well.  Going to be interesting to see what they come up with.

The store i went to all told me that they did not have any, and did not expect to receive their first batch of them until sometime in late august.

They are smaller Best Buy stores and they are all in Rural Ohio.

I ordered mine online from BB.  Didnt bother going in to a store.  Arrive in a day or so.  Play Store is estimating 3 - 4 weeks for new orders to ship.

#51 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,382 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 15:41

I wonder if Google had any notion of just how fast these things would sell...

#52 Jub Fequois

Jub Fequois

Owlblood

• 905 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 29 July 2013 - 15:44

I wonder if Google had any notion of just how fast these things would sell...

They did a pretty good job anticipating demand for the Nexus 4.

:rofl:

#53 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,382 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 15:51

They did a pretty good job anticipating demand for the Nexus 4.

:rofl:

Oooh! That was.... unkind! :p

#54 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,826 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:19

Ok, figured out the issue with the choppy MKV/AVI/MP4 video when you cast a tab out in Chrome.  You need to lower the video quality a little and then it plays smooth.  Kinda hokey but it works...at least until an official/support way is developed.

#55 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• 2,157 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 14:26

Chromecast looks like it will replace xbmc and possibly plex / roku for me

How can it do that? My XBMC setup has over 300 movies and probably 2 dozen TV series. I can't see how Chromecast would replace that.

#56 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,523 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:46

How can it do that? My XBMC setup has over 300 movies and probably 2 dozen TV series. I can't see how Chromecast would replace that.

Chromecast wont. But Smart TV is the next step in TV evolution. It's still not totally there but will be soon enough. In 10 years i'm sure all TV will come with wifi, bluetooth, internal memory, mobile cpu and gpu and a more than capable os probably based on Android.

#57 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 August 2013 - 17:23

It wouldn't really replace XBMC, but it could replace whatever you use to get XBMC to your TV if they add cast support to XBMC. Then you could just pick shows and movies on your laptop and have them play to your TV. Right now I have a computer hooked to each TV. I could replace them both with a Chromecast if I could stream everything from a laptop.

#58 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• 6,667 posts
  • OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google

Posted 02 August 2013 - 18:55

I bought one yesterday.. Best Buy got in a few on the truck so I went ahead and grabbed 1

#59 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• 2,157 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 19:24

It wouldn't really replace XBMC, but it could replace whatever you use to get XBMC to your TV if they add cast support to XBMC. Then you could just pick shows and movies on your laptop and have them play to your TV. Right now I have a computer hooked to each TV. I could replace them both with a Chromecast if I could stream everything from a laptop.

Ah thank makes sense and is a pretty good idea. I personally like having an HTPC by my TV with XBMC because then I don't have to rely on a computer somewhere else in the house to be on. If I could stream right from my NAS to the Chromecast then that would be sweet!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!