Calling home to play local videos

Last night I went to play a video on my Xbox360 using the system video player to play an mp4 file (no drm) on my NAS. when I hit play I got a black screen and at the top left it said opening, then nothing, after 10 seconds or so I tried to go back but that dident work, so turned it off and on again, 2nd attempt exactly the same, then tried another video that I knew worked same result.

I then tried netflix which said it couldn't connect so checked the networking and everything was fine but it had a service announcement thing with an address.

Went to the page and one of the parts said users may be experiencing issues watching video or music on xbox.

Went back to the video but left it for over a minute and it did eventually start, kinda like a server timed out?

But why does it want to contact some server before it plays a local video? what information is it trying to send?

I did find this only happened the first time after the console was switched on subsequent videos had no delay, but this could be due to caching or they fixed it.