• 1,001 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 20:17

Thanks for saving me £100 dude!

#17 jpalo

jpalo

Neowinian

• 151 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:45

When something sounds/looks too good to be true, it probably isn't. I like the idea of Leap Motion, and think it is the next best thing just after IllumiRoom. Hope they get their software fixed so that people don't run too far away. 

#18 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,838 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 22:14

It's a new form of interaction and the way in which you interact has yet to be determined. It will eventually come to rely on a gesture system that would become second nature to those willing few participants. Trying to use it as a virtual touch-screen interpreter has set this thing up for inevitable failure. Don't blame the technology, it does what it has always been known to logically do.

I don't have one, because I know the software isn't ready for it. I'm not going to write it off though as this is promising technology. I should support its development by purchasing one 'just cause', but I'm in no position to do so right now. Hopefully it can hang in there until I'm ready to adopt it; if not well than it probably isn't meant to be, yet.

I encourage those reading this review to not write it off just yet.

#19 TheElite

TheElite

Neowinian Senior

• 10,301 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 00:02

I think it was my fault for expecting this little device to be amazing and then being disappointed by it. Still got a lot of potential though.

#20 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,327 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 00:22

People honestly thought gesture controls would be better than a mouse?

double-facepalm.jpg

#21 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• 742 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 09 August 2013 - 20:31

double-facepalm.jpg

I don't think everyone expected it to be better than a mouse, or a replacement.. I just hoped it would be more accurate than it is, or as accurate as the video displaying how effortlessly navigates

#22 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 9,289 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 20:39

double-facepalm.jpg

I have tried the Leap Motion controller...  it is not ready to replace the physical keyboard and a mouse but once you install LM software and ready to go... you will see virtual keyboard on the screen that docked on the edge of the screen and a keyboard button on the lock screen.

I use the physical keyboard for typing long letters or something like that...  LMC can be used for short time.  I have used LMC for web scrolling and click to see other sites.

You can use the mouse for clicking the links if you are not able to the hand gestures via LMC.

#23 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• 12,775 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 22:44

I just set up mine, after making Touchless auto-start (just make a shortcut to the exe in Startups folder) and restarting so Windows enables some of the touch-enabled functionality, it actually works decently in the Windows environment. I feel like the device isn't near its potential yet though and people will have to figure out how to use an interface like this.

#24 :: Lyon ::

:: Lyon ::

Neowinian Senior

• 3,949 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:40

Wondering how it is now after a few months have passed.. Have they updated the firmware or release apps that can take advantage of the Leap Motion yet?

#25 whitehatworld

whitehatworld

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 16:30

It seems to have gotten better at tracking my finger, however it still struggles with my finger crossing over those 2 Zones.