Would appreciate some assistance with pfSense

Hello everyone. I will get right down to it.

I have a spare machine running pfs.

The motherboard has 2 Ethernet plugs. re0 is WAN and re1 is LAN.

I have a second machine connected to re1 and I am able to connect to the Internet.

What I would like to do now is unplug the second machine and plug in a router (Linksys E3000). I would like to connect 3 more machines and use the WiFi.

I have assigned a static IP for the router (for testing purposes 192.168.1.2) and disabled DHCP.

I press "a" to auto detect and than plug in the router (using port 1 on the router). Nothing happens.

What would be my next step?

Thank you.

Dumb question but you aren't using the WAN port on the router are you?

It's a common mistake.

Secondly why are you auto-detecting? Why not just set it up manually?

Setting it up manually is easy. Try it you might surprise yourself ;-)

In fact come to think about it you shouldn't need to change the configuration no matter if it is a PC or a router acting as an Access Point and a Switch

"I have assigned a static IP for the router (for testing purposes 192.168.1.2) and disabled DHCP."

You mean you setup a reservation for the routers lan mac in pfsense to give that mac a 192.168.1.2 address, or you setup the IP on the lan of the router to be 192.168.1.2/24 in the routers gui?

And pfsense lan is also using 192.168.1.0/24 -- I would assume its 192.168.1.1?

Connecting your router to pfsense lan via a lan port would be how you would do it yes - now question for you.  I don't know what speed the e3000 lan ports are or what your pfsense lan interface is.  But if one of them is not gig, then its quite possible you would have to use a cross over cable to connect.

Can you ping the 192.168.1.2 address from a box connected to one of the other routers lan ports?  Can you ping the pfsense lan IP from this box connected to one of the other routers lan ports?

But yes to setup a router as just an AP and use its lan ports as a switch -- all that is required is to give its lan an IP on your network, and disable its own internal dhcp server and you should be rocking.  Then just need to connect to the router via the lan IP you gave it and configure the wireless network.