Should I upgrade to Windows 8?

I would personally wait for Windows 8.1. I bet it will be better than 8. If you haven't bought 8 than wait for 8.1 and buy that when it comes out.

Yeah, I'd go for 8.1 over 8, but I think 8.1 is supposed to be a free upgrade, right? There is some gain in moving from Windows 7 to Windows 8, but if Windows 7 works perfectly fine for you, is that gain even necessary? I mean, that argument goes for any product. When a newer version of a product comes out, it's usually better (or else pointless), but do you really care and need everything that's better, or does what you have now work fine?

Personally I wanted to move on from Windows 7 but Windows 8 wasn't cutting it for me, so I headed over to Linux Mint. Quite happy sense, but I have decent Linux knowledge, so it doesn't bother me to run Linux one bit.

I've had a pretty good experience with Windows 8 so far, I say go for it, or if you prefer wait for 8.1

The new task manager is useful, displaying the friendly names of services rather than the executable is a feature I like but it's not a killer feature that makes 8 an absolute must have IMO

Did you grab the correct 32 or 64bit version for your system ;)

Do you really use the task manager that often that you would change OS over something there are a million utils out there to view/manage processes running on your system other than the built in one.

I use it now and then if something is hung up, etc..  But its a tool, I really could give 2 ****s how it looks ;)  Does it do what I need it to do is the only requirement that is important..  It shows me the processes and their pids and how much cpu they are using, etc..  There you go meets my needs ;)

Yes I did grab the 64bit version and while I don't say I use the task manager often enough that I would want to change its looks, running Win8 on a VM, it has many more tools and capabilities that make it far superior in situations I have been in before with Win7.

After installing Classic Shell on my VM, it's quite similar to 7, with the capabilities of the metroUI if I want to use it.

The main thing for me is I plan on reinstalling my system soon, that's a given, to me it's a factor of which one will serve me better in the long run, not whether or not the upgrade cost is worth it, or whether or not what I'm using now serves me fine. Yes Win7 is serving me fine....I have no complaints about Win7 (other than the dual monitor support), but I think with something like Classic Shell I can make Win8's interface serve me virtually the same, with some improvements here and there that will serve me better.

Any features/issues I should take a second look at pertaining to Win8 before making a final decision?

just wanted to add my 2 cents.

one thing I like about windows 8, it repair ability is way better then windows 7. 

dism when combined with sfc is far better at repairing its system files compared to windows 7.

I just wish they could port windows 8 dism ability to windows 7 

• Like 1

+1 to Windows 8, if you don't get on with the Start Screen, install Classic Shell or Start8 and have best of both worlds - Windows 8 with the Start Menu. Or just wait for 8.1 to arrive. 

Went ahead and jumped to Windows 8, installed classic shell, and enjoying the experience so far. As soon as I know I have the base software I would want on a clean install I'll make a disk image in case I want to reinstall later (And haven't changed hardware).

• Like 1

Is there medications for that ... ? :huh:

Yes, it's called OS X or Linux (whichever you prefer).

Even with classic shell it's more of a hassle getting control over UAC and stopping MS from constantly phoning home with "metrics".

Doesn't disabling smart screen and not signing in with a Microsoft account disable most of the phoning home?

Turning this off probably helps also:

post-105752-0-10768100-1375009730.png